U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Firstly, I'll confirm the Pegasus Camaro and Mustang bodies are READILY available directly from Horizon. I went to their site Wed. eve while these were being discussed, dropped three Camaros and a Mustang in my cart and ordered 'em up. Got confirmation from Horizon yesterday that they have shipped and the tracking info says I should have 'em Tuesday.

Well, did you get them? What do you think?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
Well, did you get them? What do you think?
Yup, they got here as scheduled. Yesterday.

They're DEFINITELY better than the Parma bodies in terms of detail, etc. In fact the fronts of both cars are VERY good. I'd say VERY close to HPI quality. The backs are a bit bland and flat to allow the bodies to come off the one-piece buck (which is why HPI use the separate rear bumper/valence).

The proportions look "squattier" than the HPI. ALL these cars, regardless of manufacturer, are too wide for their length, these just LOOK stubbier.

The wheelbases on both are a bit short...enough so that getting a TC3/TC4 to fit them without compromising on fender cutouts will be tough. Fortunately I've got a Warpspeed DX2 which is the shorter wheelbase TC3 conversion. Maybe I can lengthen it out enought to fit well.

The Mustang, width-wise, will look good over the 31mm tires/wheels on a 190mm chassis. The Camaro is REALLY wide. It will hang over the wheels/tires on my 200mm chassis conversion like the HPI Camaro hangs over the standard 190mm chassis w/31mm wheels and tires.

OH..AND THE (OSTENSIBLY) '70 MUSTANG IS ACTUALLY A '69!! THAT'S pretty cool...I like the front of '69's way better than '70's, and the Parma is such a bland pos it barely counts. Makes me want to pick up a '70 Big Fish and hope hope hope it's a '69 'Cuda!!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

They're DEFINITELY better than the Parma bodies in terms of detail, etc. In fact the fronts of both cars are VERY good. I'd say VERY close to HPI quality. The backs are a bit bland and flat to allow the bodies to come off the one-piece buck (which is why HPI use the separate rear bumper/valence).

The proportions look "squattier" than the HPI. ALL these cars, regardless of manufacturer, are too wide for their length, these just LOOK stubbier.

The wheelbases on both are a bit short...enough so that getting a TC3/TC4 to fit them without compromising on fender cutouts will be tough. Fortunately I've got a Warpspeed DX2 which is the shorter wheelbase TC3 conversion. Maybe I can lengthen it out enought to fit well.

The Mustang, width-wise, will look good over the 31mm tires/wheels on a 190mm chassis. The Camaro is REALLY wide. It will hang over the wheels/tires on my 200mm chassis conversion like the HPI Camaro hangs over the standard 190mm chassis w/31mm wheels and tires.

OH..AND THE (OSTENSIBLY) '70 MUSTANG IS ACTUALLY A '69!! THAT'S pretty cool...I like the front of '69's way better than '70's, and the Parma is such a bland pos it barely counts. Makes me want to pick up a '70 Big Fish and hope hope hope it's a '69 'Cuda!!
Can you shoot some Pics for us?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a Bolink 70 superbird body that would fit right in with these bodies....

Is Bolink bodies ever going to be allowed?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer

It is entirely possible that Bolink bodies might be allowed in the future, but they are 190mm bodies and will not fit well over the wide tires and heavily offset HPI vintage wheels.

Also, the 1970 Superbird was not a Trans Am car (though NASCAR stock car), and would never be allowed in this class, regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by crunchracer
Unfortunately I mocked everything up, made mental notes of what I'd need to do when I tackle these projects and then they all went back into the basement...with the new bodies. I didn't even think to take pictures, my appologies. If there is a specific question I might answer please ask away.

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer

I'd say "sure, allow 'em when they finally make a reasonably scale Trans Am car. Superbirds were run in NASCAR (which did run a parallel "pony car" league for many years where many of the old TA cars ended up getting the piss beat out of 'em when they were retired from road racing). Bodies that a Superbird would ACTUALY fit right in with would be Ford Torino/Talladega, Mercury Cyclone, Chev Monte Carlos, etc. All are substantially larger cars (in real life, not the "mud-scale" our bodies become to play "one-size-fits-all" in RC) than the Camaros and Mustangs.

Last edited by Scottrik; 01-24-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Although its not "right" for the class, that superbird is 200mm (probably a little wider). I think it was originally made for a pan car. I have one, but its pretty beat up. Used to run it on a TF3 (200mm), with old HPI wide wheels in the back.

Bolink used to make a 65/66? GTO too.... and it didn't look to bad.

Since things are a little off track, I have another body for you... same era but not sure it fits the class. I'll try to get some pics up later.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Newly added to the USVTA website is a downloadable single page PDF of the 2008 Rulebook. Print it out, take it to your local track and start selling the idea!

New photos in the Gallery from the recent FSEARA race with T/A cars, too... thanks Tony!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

Last edited by crunchracer; 01-24-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry for any "attitude"...nightmare day, and it ain't over yet.

A better way to phrase my query would have been:

I had all the stuff out to compare stuff Tue night. Didn't take pics, filed the info away for future projects which these will be. Probably won't have an opportunity to dig stuff out again to do pics. Regardless, whether doing pics or description, what is it you seek to learn that the description given did not explain? Perhaps I can explain that element and get you ahead of the curve prior to me digging stuff out.

The Datsun and NSU I already had pics of so it was easy to upload and (generally) saved creating the narative description.

As far as racing in Seattle/Portland, you may be surprised to know we may have already "met" in competition
Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If the class becomes a nationwide class, do you see HPI coming out with some sort of RTR trans am car based on the Cyclone S, E10, or Sprint 2 chassis? I think that would be pretty cool to see personally. I am really wanting to start this class at my local track. It looks like so much fun!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
If the class becomes a nationwide class, do you see HPI coming out with some sort of RTR trans am car based on the Cyclone S, E10, or Sprint 2 chassis? I think that would be pretty cool to see personally. I am really wanting to start this class at my local track. It looks like so much fun!
Now there is a GREAT IDEA!!

HPI - YOU LISTENING???
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
That's a great idea. Companies like HPI and Tamiya are so strongly behind grassroots racing and classes, that's not really that big of a stretch to consider a race-ready roller based on one of those kits.

No reason why it wouldn't work really well. You never know, maybe HPI could offer a "U.S. Vintage Trans Am Package" that would include a Cyclone S, a set of wheels and tires, and a vintage body of your choice all for one low package price. Seems like a natural marketing opportunity to me.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Sorry for any "attitude"...nightmare day, and it ain't over yet.

A better way to phrase my query would have been:

I had all the stuff out to compare stuff Tue night. Didn't take pics, filed the info away for future projects which these will be. Probably won't have an opportunity to dig stuff out again to do pics. Regardless, whether doing pics or description, what is it you seek to learn that the description given did not explain? Perhaps I can explain that element and get you ahead of the curve prior to me digging stuff out.

The Datsun and NSU I already had pics of so it was easy to upload and (generally) saved creating the narative description.

As far as racing in Seattle/Portland, you may be surprised to know we may have already "met" in competition
Scott I understand, and no further mention of it needed. Yes we have raced together.
I will be editing my prev post so if you would like edit yours and it will all disapear

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.