Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Trans Am at Trackside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up6_xLi5ziY

Good luck with the sanctioning body

Last edited by PitNamedGordie; 01-03-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Apexspeed,

I am currently rebuilding a XXX-S for this class that I got in a trade. I am going to convert some of my 6 cell packs to 4 cell. The car is going to take a few more weeks for me to get together. (I am focusing on my TC5). I am looking forward to giving this a try.
Can't wait to get you out to The Track to race. We're planning on a T/A race there one weekend in the coming weeks, so get that car done. If not, I might have a rental for you to drive. Or anyone else for that matter. The offer will be open once we figure out a date.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

When this whole thing started the idea was to spread the word about what Scotty and a few tracks have dowe locally. Basically taking it to a bigger audience.

As for the racing, classes, rules, etc...

Racing is awesome. As someone who has raced stock, 19T, and Mod outside it's a blast to run cars this slow. Outdoors the 27T/4cell combo might be too slow on large track but right now it's 20deg outside our houses here and we have not yet thought about outdoors :P

Apexspeed is correct in that we are not looking to create numerous classes just yet. Any track can run whatever they want. The U.S. Vintage TA is just a guideline. At every club race and the Novak Warmup I would say the TA class was/is the most watch and brings the closest racing over the 8 minutes. Not having IFMAR style qualifying heats is a blast. For our actual Series events we are considering Reedy Race/U.S. Stock Rubber Nats type formats.

Again this class is all about fun and low cost. 4cell packs are cheap, 27T motors run forever with 4cells, the spec tires will last a lifetime, and setups...puh leez. Throw just about anything on your car and wheel it.

I have seen TC3's pulled out from the ashes just to have the body and tires slapped on, Xray T2 that were dialed in a 13.5 class, RDX's, TA05s, you name it. All the cars are still pretty much equal.

---

But eventually I think a weight minimum would be set as well as some brushless motors.

MUSTANGS Rule!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

It's a lot like the Tamiya Mini class, without the toy cars.
Hey. Watch your mouth, there.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rccardr
Hey. Watch your mouth, there.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up TATC Racing

Apex,
Great job. I had just been thinking of a rubber TC novice class to promote at my local track and this looks like a winner. A couple winters ago some friends and I had a track in a basement that we raced M18's on. We got six NiMh cells and brushless motors shoved in them and were ballistic but breaking parts like crazy. Also the racing was not at all close. Then we decided one day to dial the epa as slow as they would go while still running together. It was a blast and we ended up leaving them that way for the rest of the winter. Same concept smaller cars.
I'll add one suggestion/observation. My local track in South Bend, IN, Michiana RC Raceway, has developed a 12th novice class that uses the Tamiya silver cans. That class has been a huge success and the $6 motors are really tough to beat even by brushless. I find the 27turns are quite a bit of work if you're looking for an edge as well as being a bit of a black art. Once you go slow it doesn't matter how slow you go. Anyway just something to think about. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Thanks.

One thing I can't stand about silver cans is that people will buy 20 of them looking for one good one, and most guys fast with those things will do a LOT of hoodoo voodoo on those things, and most aren't very legal. Yes, they are cheap and slow, but also easy to get a real turd, and very easy to tweak unfairly. I think silver can racing is one of the biggest farces for "sportsman" type racing, but that's just me.

We're looking at a brushless solution right now, but our biggest issue is the final gearing on a 4-cell car. We don't know if it's physically possible on most cars. We need to test a little before jumping in that pond.

As for your local track at Michiana, keep your eyes open for something new possibly popping up in your area in the near future.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thugs Bunny
My local track in South Bend, IN, Michiana RC Raceway, has developed a 12th novice class that uses the Tamiya silver cans. That class has been a huge success and the $6 motors are really tough to beat even by brushless.
Silver Can is THE way to go for novice 1/12. I've been loaning motors to new racers for their first several races and they're progressing MUCH faster than novices ever have before.

We also looked VERY hard at Silver Can for our Vintage TA class here, unfortunately they absolutely won't work in some TC chassis. I know for fact they won't in TC3/TC4 and very likely other. Has to do with the funky "projection" off the nose of the motor at the output shaft. Tamiya cars (and 1/12 chassis) don't fit tightly in that area so they work...TC's tend to not have clearance on their motor mounts. I was all set to test one when we were doing our testing sessions over the summer until I went to bolt it up.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Unfortunately, a silver can motor is the EASIEST motor to cheat with. They can be great for novices to learn how to drive, but for a spec class, they are terrible. Guys have been twisting, cranking, dipping and altering those things 30 years ago, and it hasn't changed much since.

Give me 5 minutes, and I'll show you how to make a really good one.

That's definitely not the spirit of this class. Let the Tamiya TCS guys do what they want and tech until the cows come home, but none of us want to waste any time tech'ing cars and motors. As a beginner class, it works, but anything more than novice racers, those motors create more problems than they are worth.

Again, that's just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ApexSpeed, If you guys ever want to publicize this, I am an accomplished announcer and can record anything you need for your website or whatnot.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Geez.
You guys.
First it was Mini's, now it's silver cans.
Don't make me fly out there and make you behave!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The word has spread!

I'm putting the final touches on the rules for our, Hobbytown USA Maryland, T/A class.So far everyone is really excited to see this class run. Bringing a few guys out of "retirement" to run again!!

I'd also encourage those who have this class running on a temporary parking lot type track to get in touch with a local car club and have a race coincide with one of thier shows. No better way of hooking a few gearheads into our hobby by luring them in with replicas of thier own cars.

The rules we have for this season are borrowed heavily from MCRC, with the addition of a few Bolink bodies and a different weight penalty/ point scale. ;

"• We will keep the racing competitive by using weight penalties for those racers finishing in the top 3 spots in each A main. We will require the addition of 100 grams to first place, 80 grams to second place and 60 grams to third place before competing the next race day. Those drivers will then be responsible to weigh in at their new target level at each new race day. If a racer keeps finishing in the top three at each A main their target weight will also continue to go up. These additions of weight to the top 3 finishers will continue after each race through out the year. We will use the weight penalties to keep the racing fair and close for all drivers.
• Points will be given out in a tiered fashion as well. First place will be given 100 points, second place will receive 90, third place receives 80 points and fourth place through last will receive points from 70 and less in increments of 5. I.E. a 6th place finisher will receive 60 points and a 7th place finisher will receive 55 points."
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by killingtime
I'd also encourage those who have this class running on a temporary parking lot type track to get in touch with a local car club and have a race coincide with one of thier shows. No better way of hooking a few gearheads into our hobby by luring them in with replicas of thier own cars.
This is 100% true!! While we were still sorting out the final details for our rules we were invited to do a demo at a large regional hotrod show. There was ALL kinds of interest and we picked up a couple new members there. And they worked pretty well on a ROUGH piece of asphalt. We're carpet racers, so the asphalt was completely new to us.

Right now there is talk of another somewhat smaller hot rod show having us come out and do a similar demo.

The folks at these events respond WAY more to Camaros and Mustangs than they EVER will DNA's and Speed 12's

Originally Posted by killingtime
We will keep the racing competitive by using weight penalties for those racers finishing in the top 3 spots in each A main. We will require the addition of 100 grams to first place, 80 grams to second place and 60 grams to third place before competing the next race day.
Good call on upping the weight penalty. If we had it to do over we'd have made the penalties larger...like close to double what they are now. I'd suggest making "housekeeping" easier by giving the same amount to 1st through 3rd though. We're five races into our championship season...JP and I are up to 300g (four penalties...we're pushing 3/4 pound now) and the racing is tightening up. We'd just hoped to have it tightened up sooner so we'll increase penalties next year.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Doug,

I picked up my Mi2EC today, and the other stuff should arrive early next week.

Ive also found a nice vintage scheme to work with, so I'll post pics up as soon as I get the body done.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
Doug,

I picked up my Mi2EC today, and the other stuff should arrive early next week.

Ive also found a nice vintage scheme to work with, so I'll post pics up as soon as I get the body done.

Nice job, Andy. We can share "setup" info, ha ha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.