Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

some more are getting the call as well...look for them soon
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mooby64
Are the new Novak X-drive speedos VTA legal? Novak has discontinued all the regular Havoc and GTB speedos.

THE IDEAL SPEC ESC
Novak’s original GTB, and its successor the GTB 2, have been staples at race tracks all over the world. The GTB 2 platform offers the perfect ESC for almost any class of racing from local Sportsman club racing, to Pro Modified 4X4 Short Course, to any form of on-road racing. The GTB 2 excels in the non-ramping /non-timing Spec Classes and can easily handle the demands of modified 540 and 550-sized motors. It has no built-in timing or motor-ramping features so there is no need to worry about firmware versions, lights or blinks. The GTB 2 is Spec Legal!

LOADED WITH FEATURES
The GTB 2 w/X-Drive has everything you need. If you want to fine-tune the feel and response of the ESC, there are 9 on-board adjustments using the One-Touch button. There is no complicated PC programming or use of external programming devices. The GTB 2X w/X-Drive also features NovaBrakes™. This revolutionary braking system provides instantaneous and unbelievably smooth brake response for every application. In addition to thermal protection, the GTB 2 w/X-Drive has on-board temperature monitoring circuitry. Racers can check their ESC’s temperature during or after each run.

I would think its on the level to be in the USVTA rules...maybe once some testing is done , we will get a for sure answer...it takes time to get it right so we dont waste money on something that might not be legal anyway.

Have a little patince and lets see what Rob and the USVTA come up with

the good thing is the price is the same as the other Novak esc(Havok and GTB2)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i run this class now. best thing i could have done. great for novices like more or a road master!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I don't know anything about the X drive. That being said, it has to be more of a feel thing, since there are specific parameters for no timing escs under ROAR's rules for example. Kinda like when you could program the brush escs.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

I also have to look over the rules for "housekeeping issues" (example: milled cans). Give me a couple days...
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd
i run this class now. best thing i could have done. great for novices like more or a road master!!!
welcome to USVTA
Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
welcome to USVTA
Be careful Myron, Vampyrehntrd is one of my club members. With this fellas enthusiasm and quickly developing skill he's likely to be the Dave Johnson at next years Snowbirds !!
Sorry I missed seeing you there. Money issues and the passing of my Father In Law made it impossible. Next Year though. Or maybe sooner if the right event comes up.
VTA seems to be on a upswing. I hope the additional exposure at the Bird's helped.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

well I hope things get alot better for you...I know the role you played in getting VTA at the Birds to start with...sorry you missed it...Im sure the event gave USVTA a brighter light...and with the racing being so close and fun, I think we showed the RC world what it was about...I can see the numbers double by next year Snowbirds

as far as Dave goes...he is 1-0 against me....maybe he will try and improve to 2-0 at the Scale Nationals in IL, come April...or maybe fall to 1-1..lol...

JK, Im very happy to come in 2nd against him...he is a top level driver and good dude...but I bet he want get another text to come race...LOL...cya soon USVTA 2x Champion(Southern Nationals & Snowbirds Nationals)...go for the 3....
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-snowbirds_2012_sunday_944.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
well I hope things get alot better for you...I know the role you played in getting VTA at the Birds to start with...sorry you missed it...Im sure the event gave USVTA a brighter light...and with the racing being so close and fun, I think we showed the RC world what it was about...I can see the numbers double by next year Snowbirds

as far as Dave goes...he is 1-0 against me....maybe he will try and improve to 2-0 at the Scale Nationals in IL, come April...or maybe fall to 1-1..lol...

JK, Im very happy to come in 2nd against him...he is a top level driver and good dude...but I bet he want get another text to come race...LOL...cya soon USVTA 2x Champion(Southern Nationals & Snowbirds Nationals)...go for the 3....

Myron your gonna have to step up and quite letting your son beat up on you like this! Ground him from practice! LOL

EA
Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!...I think that did it...lol
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
The reason the Sprint 2 is good for newbs is that they don't have to do anything except know that they are buying a complete RTR car from a reputable company. Tell them to go surf eBay and message board classifieds for all the used equipment they'll need and it will scare them off.

I'm always thinking about this stuff too... how to get newbies involved in a way that doesn't overwhelm them. Here's an idea, what if the experienced racers and clubs with the resources that are REALLY into this hobby started putting together complete RTR cars for VTA and selling them at a fixed price point of around $250 in an exclusive thread dedicated to RTR VTA? You wouldn't be doing this for a profit, just to break even and put your skills to work in a productive manner. Think about it... we all know how to look for a deal in the classified threads and find bargains on used equipment. I'm constantly surfing for a good deal just for the enjoyment of it even though I don't need a thing and already have way more TC3s than I can drive at one time. And I know there are plenty of you out there like me! Then when a newb asks you how to get started, you just give him/her the URL to the thread. Wouldn't that be cool. I'm going forward with this idea myself. I just picked up a Factory Team TC3 on eBay for $86 shipped with pretty decent VTA tires already on it. I have a friend that's been asking me about getting started and I'm planning to put it together for him. Haven't broke the news to him yet so I hope he buys it. If not, it could be the first car for sale in this new hypothetical thread.
Curious as to what exactly would need to be swapped out to make the Sprint legal? Is it just wheels/tires/motor?

Separately, I'm thinking of trying VTA with an old Trinity T-Spec I've got collecting dust. Are the ESC's mandatory? I was thinking of running the old Tekin 600 with a NiCad pack and a ROAR stock motor thats already in it with some old AM Futaba radio gear. Or do I need to do a full electronics swap?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
Curious as to what exactly would need to be swapped out to make the Sprint legal? Is it just wheels/tires/motor?

Separately, I'm thinking of trying VTA with an old Trinity T-Spec I've got collecting dust. Are the ESC's mandatory? I was thinking of running the old Tekin 600 with a NiCad pack and a ROAR stock motor thats already in it with some old AM Futaba radio gear. Or do I need to do a full electronics swap?
yes, to make a SPrint2 USVTA-legal, you'd need tires/body and the proper esc and 25.5 motor - check out http://www.usvintagetransam.com for what the legal speedo's are

if your track allows that kind of setup (brushed motor/nicad batteries), then go for it...they should (hopefully) allow you a race or 2 grace to get up to speed within the rules...but i'd check at the track you are planning to run at and see what they say...most places will allow a grace period - but if you were planning on attending a USVTA-sanctioned event, you'd need to be in compliance with the full rules
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar

yes, to make a SPrint2 USVTA-legal, you'd need tires/body and the proper esc and 25.5 motor - check out http://www.usvintagetransam.com for what the legal speedo's are

if your track allows that kind of setup (brushed motor/nicad batteries), then go for it...they should (hopefully) allow you a race or 2 grace to get up to speed within the rules...but i'd check at the track you are planning to run at and see what they say...most places will allow a grace period - but if you were planning on attending a USVTA-sanctioned event, you'd need to be in compliance with the full rules
Hey cdwilliams, if you have the Sprint 2 that came with the 1969 Camaro body and VTA tires/wheels (like the one you see in this pic)...

then all you will need to make your Sprint 2 USVTA-legal is a 25.5T brushless motor and one of the USVTA-legal ESC's. Novak Electronics just announced their new 'Club' brushless system (which isn't on the official USVTA list yet) that is designed for anybody who is looking for an affordable ESC and Motor combo. Here's their web page --> http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html

[/SIZE]
Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

And a Driver figure
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Driver figures should be a more lenient rule, I want to have a Kermit the Frog head as my driver or something to that effect.

Also, the "skip to last page" function for the VTA thread is broken again, it tries to send you to a page four or more pages beyond what you are trying to reach. Emmit Brown and Marty McFly would be proud.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Driver figures should be a more lenient rule, I want to have a Kermit the Frog head as my driver or something to that effect.

Also, the "skip to last page" function for the VTA thread is broken again, it tries to send you to a page four or more pages beyond what you are trying to reach. Emmit Brown and Marty McFly would be proud.
Yea but they are soo cheap and look soo cool. Also the reversing the post order is working great for me Just have to re-think the way you read the forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.