Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

2 things : If that combo doesn't fit due to motor mount limitations, increase size of spur by a couple of teeth and change to appropriate pinion.
also, if you're not running a spool in front, do so. It'll increase cornering speed a bunch.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the gears are to big to fit on the motor mount then you need to think about a smaller spur. A70 spur with a 32 pinion would give you a 3.94.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

True that. I kind of guessed based on what he currently uses that they might be to small. Reducing his pinion might be a problem if he runs out of available motor movement. You're right though...thats the other alternative. Thanks Snoop !
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd
Quick question for you all.

Currently I am running an Mi1 with a 73/37 with the stock rear at 1.8. Currently as she runs i am at 3.55 on the diff. My issue is that at normal timing on the ballistic I am slower than the rest of the other spec VTA cars in my area. The temps on the car are around 140 after about 5 min. Timing changed to +40 and the car shot to 170 but i am able to keep pace.

Question 1: Is a cooling fan going to help me and is it ok to run the fan in VTA?

Question 2: If not a fan how would I get the car to about a 4.0 with out over heating. Most of the guys are using a Tc5 or 6 chassis and are at 4.0 even.
get a fan and pop it on it's good for 20 degrees easy if not more. and again I run a 4.0 on my TC with a 17.5 yes a 4.0 is a good starting point for VTA but lap times and temp should tell you if you need to go that high. I run a 3.60 at about 40 degree timing and a 3.36 with high bite and 35 timing. but that's on a 96'+ straight and easy corners.

the real deal is corner speed. if you have good corner speed you don't have to get off the throttle. if you don't get off and on the throttle you don't make heat. motor never got over 145 this weekend in Dallas with a 3.36 and my lap times prove the speed. lap 16 was my fastest. get your handling right and then you won't need the lower 4.0 gear to compensate for lack of corner speed. I probably could of gone faster if I played with gearing or timing more last weekend but it was a throw down class. just throw it down on the track and run it and have fun. which I did. just wish I wouldn't of duffed it the first 3 laps. i'll let you decide I had a 18 second lap and a 24 fifth lap and only finished 1 lap down on a 12.5 sec 20 lap average. again like batboy said after about half way tony wasn't challenged and he had one of the cleanest drives for TQ. it wasn't speed that got Tony the win it was his consistency. and that's the game in any class.

Last edited by nashrcracer; 03-20-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+infinity

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
get a fan and pop it on it's good for 20 degrees easy if not more. and again I run a 4.0 on my TC with a 17.5 yes a 4.0 is a good starting point for VTA but lap times and temp should tell you if you need to go that high. I run a 3.60 at about 40 degree timing and a 3.36 with high bite and 35 timing. but that's on a 96'+ straight and easy corners.

the real deal is corner speed. if you have good corner speed you don't have to get off the throttle. if you don't get off and on the throttle you don't make heat. motor never got over 145 this weekend in Dallas with a 3.36 and my lap times prove the speed. lap 16 was my fastest. get your handling right and then you won't need the lower 4.0 gear to compensate for lack of corner speed. I probably could of gone faster if I played with gearing or timing more last weekend but it was a throw down class. just throw it down on the track and run it and have fun. which I did. just wish I wouldn't of duffed it the first 3 laps. i'll let you decide I had a 18 second lap and a 24 fifth lap and only finished 1 lap down on a 12.5 sec 20 lap average. again like batboy said after about half way tony wasn't challenged and he had one of the cleanest drives for TQ. it wasn't speed that got Tony the win it was his consistency. and that's the game in any class.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Default Heavy Hitters

OK I just want to toss this up for some thought. Just to challenge the way we look at this class that we love so much. Why is it that we never see the A-main mod guys in VTA? Is it so much different at the slower pace? Does it mess with their timing? Or is it that we enjoy the idea of VTA being the Holy Grail of club racers that it has become? Maybe we won't see these guys in VTA because they would get called names like "Sandbagger" or "Cherry Picker".

I think I am glad that I have never seen a Lemieux, Grosskamp, Hara or Cyrul running in VTA, but I just had to toss that in here to see what everyones thoughts were on the possibilities. Is VTA just too slow for those guys? Is it that simple?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
OK I just want to toss this up for some thought. Just to challenge the way we look at this class that we love so much. Why is it that we never see the A-main mod guys in VTA? Is it so much different at the slower pace? Does it mess with their timing? Or is it that we enjoy the idea of VTA being the Holy Grail of club racers that it has become? Maybe we won't see these guys in VTA because they would get called names like "Sandbagger" or "Cherry Picker".

I think I am glad that I have never seen a Lemieux, Grosskamp, Hara or Cyrul running in VTA, but I just had to toss that in here to see what everyones thoughts were on the possibilities. Is VTA just too slow for those guys? Is it that simple?
The reason is these guys are paid to go to these races and the classes that get the most attention are the mod classes. Its not that the cars are to slow its that the class is not significant. This is just my oppinion
Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
The reason is these guys are paid to go to these races and the classes that get the most attention are the mod classes. Its not that the cars are to slow its that the class is not significant. This is just my oppinion
At our track the guys running mod TC and 1/12th are always making comments about VTA. I run blinky 17.5 TC and VTA. I am not good enough for mod yet, and prob never will be. It is funny to hear the mod guys say things like "sounds like a VTA race" when there is a bunch cars bouncing off the boards during TC practice. I just think they look at VTA as kind of a beginners class. I started running on-road by getting into VTA, and then quickly added 17.5 TC. I have all but abandon off-road because I love the competition that on-road has, and I owe that to VTA.
ImacFanatic likes this.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

1st US VTA is NOT a beginner class...its a RACE Class like all the rest...its just easier and a lot more fun than other rc classes

2nd...alot of those guys have sponsors...and unless you are on the orange team...either orange...HPI or Novak...you might not get to run USVTA
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
1st US VTA is NOT a beginner class...its a RACE Class like all the rest...its just easier and a lot more fun than other rc classes

2nd...alot of those guys have sponsors...and unless you are on the orange team...either orange...HPI or Novak...you might not get to run USVTA

I call BS LRP has a speed control on the list and so does speed passion which sponsors a lot of the pro racers. tires are BS also as jaco is not always the spec tire. and protoform and parma makes bodies also.

it is the speed difference and the level of comp. easy is boring the last time I saw pro drivers running something slow was the "stock invite" at the Gate in 07. baker blackstock and others ran it 27t stock motors and had fun and kicked butt not even trying. going that slow is boring for them I would think and I should know. I ran the fastest and the slowest class last weekend. MOD 12th scale I turned a 9.4 and VTA I turned a 12.1 almost 3 second difference. vta was easy mod 12th was the most fun I had had in 5 or 6 years and I was smiling the most. you ask anybody in my heats. and I was happy just to finish a heat and take 2nd in the "B" main. I had a blast running Mod 12th even if I had to pick my car up in a dust bucket.

and take the winner of the VTA race Tony was ex-sponsored Associated Team Driver working for "RC driver Mag" now which paid for him to go to the race and ran it. so don't say it can't happen but it was more a passion for the hobby nationals and a side bar for the article in the mag then anything from what I gathered. his real passion for being there I think was F1 and that covers a wider crowd then VTA does at the moment.

it's still a beginners class for the most part because if a pro driver actually drove it, it would be like Michael Shumucher running a go-cart he would cream the competition. or when the sprint cup guys run nationwide series. one of them is going to win unless one of the nationwide guys gets lucky. and all the sprint guy is looking for is track time in a slower easy class. which is why you saw a lot of mod drivers running in 17.5 12th scale this weekend. it was all about track time and cherry picking.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
I think I have to be careful how I throw around the word insignificant. I know that HPI loves us (VTA racers) but at the same time they probably make the most money from bashers. I bet the Sprint2 Flux sells way more copies than the HB TCX. Back to my point. VTA racers buy Kits and radios and batteries and there are a lot of us out there. So thats hardly insignificant. You are right in that VTA is not going to showcase the performance parameters of a new kit the way TC Mod will. So there is no need to pay a pro driver to put it in the winner circle. I think the best thing you said was,"The reason these guys are paid" I don't know of any VTA racers that get a full ride. I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Jerz616
It is funny to hear the mod guys say things like "sounds like a VTA race" when there is a bunch cars bouncing off the boards during TC practice. I just think they look at VTA as kind of a beginners class. I started running on-road by getting into VTA, and then quickly added 17.5 TC. I have all but abandon off-road because I love the competition that on-road has, and I owe that to VTA.
I posted a video from a race at our track last October, and I got comments about how that was the cleanest start to any VTA race they had seen. For us it was normal hat. VTA runs as clean as any other class.
I am with you on the love for VTA. If it were not around I would promote USGT. If not that then F1, and if not that then I probably would go back to dirt.
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
1st US VTA is NOT a beginner class...its a RACE Class like all the rest...its just easier and a lot more fun than other rc classes.

So true. Its way more fun, but if someone was a beginner and there was no novice class, then it would make sense to go for the slowest class.
I think 303Slowdown has it by realizing that mod is really where you show off your new products, thats where the sponsor money goes. I could still see HPI or Novak getting behind some drivers, but for the most part, I am glad that pros are not motivated to get into it.

Editirla I guess I should have realized that this was an article for Tony. I did not remember him driving for AE either. Thanks for your perspective on speed. I like the speed of VTA. I am not really fond of turning my kit back into powder.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-20-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: respond to Dirla
Old 03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
I call BS LRP has a speed control on the list and so does speed passion which sponsors a lot of the pro racers. tires are BS also as jaco is not always the spec tire. and protoform and parma makes bodies also.

it is the speed difference and the level of comp. easy is boring the last time I saw pro drivers running something slow was the "stock invite" at the Gate in 07. baker blackstock and others ran it 27t stock motors and had fun and kicked butt not even trying. going that slow is boring for them I would think and I should know. I ran the fastest and the slowest class last weekend. MOD 12th scale I turned a 9.4 and VTA I turned a 12.1 almost 3 second difference. vta was easy mod 12th was the most fun I had had in 5 or 6 years and I was smiling the most. you ask anybody in my heats. and I was happy just to finish a heat and take 2nd in the "B" main. I had a blast running Mod 12th even if I had to pick my car up in a dust bucket.

and take the winner of the VTA race Tony was ex-sponsored Associated Team Driver working for "RC driver Mag" now which paid for him to go to the race and ran it. so don't say it can't happen but it was more a passion for the hobby nationals and a side bar for the article in the mag then anything from what I gathered. his real passion for being there I think was F1 and that covers a wider crowd then VTA does at the moment.

it's still a beginners class for the most part because if a pro driver actually drove it, it would be like Michael Shumucher running a go-cart he would cream the competition. or when the sprint cup guys run nationwide series. one of them is going to win unless one of the nationwide guys gets lucky. and all the sprint guy is looking for is track time in a slower easy class. which is why you saw a lot of mod drivers running in 17.5 12th scale this weekend. it was all about track time and cherry picking.
I quoted the entire thing but want to touch on the last part. beginner my butt when it comes to USVTA. First there is nothing on the market as of right now RTR for USVTA even the HPI flux cars are not legal not even the brushed sprint2 cars.

There is currently no car ready to run even remotely ready compete with any class any ROAR race other than nitro.

I am new to the bobby and cold have dropped a grand or more if i wanted to into a 17.5 turbo boosted car for what? to brake to pieces the first time on a track.

Let me be real here. A local guy here in palm bay FL. took me in and showed me a lot about a chassis and the class. I love it because it is a skill class. I am not saying that the 17.5 mod class has no skill but it seems by going to the local races a simple mess up on the track with faster cars is easier to make up the gap with than a slower class.

I have a ton to learn but since there are no "team" drivers in VTA i do not have to worry about the guy who can blow a motor every race just to win and be given a free one because he is winning. I personally do this for the fun. VTA is for the sport not the competition.

Hate the class...stay off the thread. go to your boosted threads and knock them. Oh and by the way.....I have seen the birds and other state races on youtube.......funny how I see more wall hits there than I do in VTA
Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Closing this thread due to length. New thread, U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2, can be accessed here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-part-2-a.html