Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Technically, the width of the footprint of the tires on the ground/pavement is called "track". Front track and rear track. Wheelbase refers to the distance between the front and rear axels. (axel centers actually)

Also, I think that the 6mm offset figure is for each wheel. The offset pushes the wheel and tire out so that the inside edge of the wheel does not rub on the suspension arms,linkage, etc.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rufus2010
Technically, the width of the footprint of the tires on the ground/pavement is called "track". Front track and rear track. Wheelbase refers to the distance between the front and rear axels. (axel centers actually)

Also, I think that the 6mm offset figure is for each wheel. The offset pushes the wheel and tire out so that the inside edge of the wheel does not rub on the suspension arms,linkage, etc.
My bad on the "Track." I knew that but was typing faster than I was thinking. Bad place to be. I believe you are correct on the off-set as well. The HPI bodies with a 210mm rear width fill out pretty well with the extra 12mm. They wouldn't do that if it were only 6mm.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

vta at the roar carpet nats is great qual 4th .1 out of 3rd and I can't wait till tomorrow to get my run in. darkside/batboy/myron your missing it!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
vta at the roar carpet nats is great qual 4th .1 out of 3rd and I can't wait till tomorrow to get my run in. darkside/batboy/myron your missing it!!!!!!
Good luck bud. Myron not there? World coming to an end?

Really wanting to do some more VTA racing. We have to get a trip up there to you guys again soon. We got the SC10's to be able to race something locally but kept the VTA cars for when we can make it up there.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

We had a Concourse contest at the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals yesterday. Here are pics of the VTA's that entered the contest.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

And the winner of the Concourse contest is... drum roll please...

None other than SOCAL's Tony Phalen with his 1969 Chevy Z28 Camaro painted with a Gulf Oil racing scheme. Tony is also TQ with his Hot Bodies TCX car. He is running a Novak Edge ESC with a Ballistic 25.5T. This guy is flat out fast!

Last edited by wwddww34; 03-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
The reason it's 120.00 is because the Ballistic isn't in the Combo.....

This our new, affordable combo with the Ballistic:

EDGE 2S /Ballistic 540 Brushless Systems

Our Club combos are designed for beginners who can later trade/upgrade when their skills improve.
has the new club combo been approved for VTA use officially? I was checking the rules website and it does not mention it yet? Not trying to be pessemistic, just trying to get some clarification before I order a few of them only to be told no at the track.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rufus2010
Technically, the width of the footprint of the tires on the ground/pavement is called "track". Front track and rear track.
So is there an optimum track width for a VTA car, front and rear?

I tried using 17.5 setup sheets as a starting point last year and kept running into problems with ride height, front tires rubbing the bottom shock ballcup, etc. I'm assuming at least some of those are because the setup sheets are geared towards running the identical width front and rear standard TC tires.

When trying to 'move' a setup sheet over to a VTA application, where do you make changes to compensate for the wheel offsets (if at all?)
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The offset question has been answered. Each rear wheel has 6 degrees of offset and each are 31mm wide.
Optimal track ? not that I'm aware of. Never seen any published numbers and doubt there's any defined standard. The Schumacher site has some videos featuring world champ Chris Grainger. One of them answers the question of differing wheel tracks front and rear. Yes, it is used as a setup variable. As for "moving" setup sheet info, many of the basics like castor, spring and shock rates, kick up and anti dive could be left alone if you already have a successful chassis that's been running 21.5 or 17.5. Keep in mind that VTA, like other spec classes, may require a completely different thought process to setup simply because it has such different requirements. Going slower doesn't mean a great 17.5 setup will work for a VTA car. Spec tires, Heavier weight requirement, different handling characteristics all translate into different setup.
Most of all, remember that the slower speeds allow you to really see the car doing things. Don't over think it. It's really just getting back to basics. Start with a box stock setup and adjust from there. Inside of wheel rubbing ballcup ?....put a spacer on the axle.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

So is it a matter of setting the front width so nothing rubs and then making the rear roughly 10mm wider than the front? If I'm reading that correctly, assuming everything else (caster., camber, etc.) is set correctly, you're saying that the exact relative front and rear track width isn't a big deal? We're still in the (asphalt) off-season here in the Chicago area, so actually going out and trying this stuff still isn't an option for a while.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Track width is a big deal on ANY car.
Generally, widening the rear provides more stability.
Narrowing the rear will make it a bit more reactive with more steering.

Widening the front gives you stability into the turn and more steering on exit
Narrowing the front makes the car more aggressive on entry and less steering on exit.

So YES, simply adjust things to clear ball cups and such. On my MI4LP, the track is approx 185mm front and 195mm rear. I do have a 1mm washer on each front axle to push the wheel out a bit from the camber link ball cup.

I started with a Schumacher provided setup for asphalt and technical layout. Other than the shim washer for the front wheels, my car is spot on that setup; which happens to be for a 10.5 with tc tires.
I was more concerned with the track details than what motor was used. At best, I might have to lighten the shock fluid, use lighter springs or lighter roll bars.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
And the winner of the Concourse contest is... drum roll please...

None other than SOCAL's Tony Phalen with his 1969 Chevy Z28 Camaro painted with a Gulf Oil racing scheme. Tony is also TQ with his Hot Bodies TCX car. He is running a Novak Edge ESC with a Ballistic 25.5T. This guy is flat out fast!
so who is the 2012 ROAR VTA Champ?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
thanks friend
Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wwddww34
We had a Concourse contest at the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals yesterday. Here are pics of the VTA's that entered the contest.

congads to you...you did a great job getting VTA into this event...and did some really good promo...

do you know what everyone was running?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Change of pace question:

With the 2012 Carpet Nats having been run. ( nice pics btw ) In their rules it shows " Any ROAR Approved 25.5 motor "

Problem is ROAR does NOT show any 25.5 motors listed on their Brushless Motor Approved List. ( I checked before posting this ) Now, USVTA dictates that only Novak motors can be used. ROAR does not dictate what brands to be used in any class of racing, just guidelines that manufacturers have to follow in order to obtain approval.

With the Elec On-road Nats coming in Aug @ Leisure Hours Raceway, Joliet, Il. With VTA being one of the house classes being run. Would it be run with the USVTA rules, or some kind of mixed bag from both parties ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.