Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have really only been able to find a performance difference in C rating when I race open Sprint Car on dirt ovals. You do actually feel it there.

In Trans Am, there is very little difference in any battery. On average, you're drawing 1000-1200 mah from a battery. That's about 12A average load. Even a 20C 3200 pack, cheaper than dirt, can handle a 64A load.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour
I have to say, the Battery "C" rating, and a True 2 Cell rule is the only gripe I've ever had w/ true USVTA rules.

Not because of a "Real" performance issue, but more for a perceived issue, and pricing.

A true 2s1p battery vs a 2s2p is roughly 1/2 the price (Because it only has to series cells vs. 2 series and 2 parallel cells ie: 4 actual cells)

For instance a Race/Sport THUNDER POWER 3300 25c pack is available for about $50 bucks, but the bigger packs can be close to $100.00

I am glad to see it capped at 5000 mAh though, and hopefully that will NOT change w/ pressure from the "5000's are no longer available!" crowd.

[I LOVE the VTA cars, and I hope we can finally get this class to LIVE in California this year... there are a couple tracks running it finally!)
The 5000mah is really irrelevant. More mah only equals more run time not more power.I think the 5000 limit is there just to discourage new guys from thinking they need that 8000mah $150 pack to compete.

I am noticing that the 5000 and less packs are starting to disappear a little. Seems like a lot of companies are looking at the 6000 and larger. I hope that, if this trend continues and the price point of the 6000 is competitively lowered that vta will follow and start allowing larger capacity packs.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
I am glad to see it capped at 5000 mAh though, and hopefully that will NOT change w/ pressure from the "5000's are no longer available!" crowd.
Here is robk's post from 12/3/2011 on batteries that are available. USVTA rules state "Battery Specifications: 2 cell ROAR-approved LiPo hard cased, 5000 mAh limit"

Originally Posted by robk
Right now there are batteries that fit the rules in all price ranges...check it out..no where near a complete listing

http://www.speedpowerrc.com/v2/us/catagory.asp?c=LIPO
3 lipos under 5000 (4 if you count saddles)
I checked the ROAR battery approval list on the ROAR website and the 4 batteries robk referred to above are not on the ROAR battery approval list and therefor not ROAR approved.

Only 10 currently on the ROAR Approval List and some of those appear to be discontinued (I didn't count the 5 Team Orion ROAR approved LIFE batteries).

There are actually 15 ThunderPower batteries 5000 mAh & under listed on the ROAR approval list but the Thunderpower website show only two 35C 2S sport race packs and two 65C Pro Race packs below 5000 mAh pending ROAR approval. The only batteries that are already ROAR approved start at 5300 mAh. This means that all 15 batteries that are on the ROAR list are discontinued with only 4 replacements pending approval (ThunderPower submitted two 3300 mAh & 2 4300 mAh 2S batteries but did not submit the 2700 mAh 2S 35C sport Race pack for ROAR approval).

There's two on the Trinity site, a Revtech4100 2S 24C pack with Deans plug and a Revtech 4000 60C shorty bullet pack but only the shorty pack is on the ROAR approval list.

It shows a ROAR Approval sticker on the battery in the photo but it is no longer on the ROAR Approval list so who knows if it is still approved or not.

Only a Shorty pack left on the site now and it is not on the ROAR approval list.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1&LiPoConfig=2
At least 6 ROAR approved, and a lot of other hardcases
Of the 6 batteries that are listed as ROAR approved, only three are actually on the list and all are back ordered and have been for a while

Thank You GenAce, ROAR Approved and USVTA legal, now get them in stock and keep them in stock. They tend to sell out quick, especially the bullet connector batteries. Now if Sky Lipo would get some of their batteries ROAR approved...

This one doesn't show up on the ROAR approval list

Only 1 pack under 5000 mAh is on the ROAR approval list.

But again, not the ROAR approval list.

None of the current Reedy batteries under 5000 mAh are on the ROAR approval list and all the Reedy batteries that are under 5000 and currently on the ROAR Approval List are discontinued.

Only the Xcelorin LOSB9873 7.4V 5000mAh 2S 40C LiPo is in the ROAR approval list.

It's on the LIST

Yeah but their Venoms. I have had issues with Venom batteries and Venom warranty in the past and so have a bunch of other people. I have a 3800 2S 35C battery that had a case issue (battery rattled in the case). Instead of sending me a new battery, they stuck the gel cells in a 3S hard case with 3 small spacers and slapped a ROAR approved sticker on it. When I complained that they put it in the wrong case and even sent them photos of this battery compared to the other Venom 3800 battery I have, they ignored my emails and did not return my calls. Because they installed the gel cells in the wrong case it would no longer fit in Losi XXXS and it will not even fit in my current XRAY T2R Pro because of the size of the case (139mm long and 25.5mm high). The battery case is so big I can't even sell the {blank} thing. I plan on showing it to the ROAR officials at the Carpet Nats in March top see if anything can be done about this. The way they "repaired" my battery, I am not even sure if it is safe to run. There were also other warranty issues that both I and my friends have had (in my experience they won't stand behind their products).

So there is a synopsis of what is available two months later that are truly USVTA legal (if the requirement of a ROAR Approved Battery is adhered to). The industry changes very fast it seems. If the requirement of ROAR approval is retained, batteries will dry up pretty soon except for shorties because it doesn't pay for the manufacturers to submit lower mAh batteries for ROAR approval that won't sell. And for those of you that run USVTA at ROAR Regional (level4) or National (level 5) events, the battery will have to have both the ROAR approval sticker and be on the ROAR Approval list to pass tech. Since I am planning on running in the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals VTA Exhibition class and wants a 100% USVTA legal car, I have been searching for ROAR Approved 5000 MAH batteries in then 50 and higher C range that were 137.5mm long and they're not that many out there anymore (they do double duty as both USVTA and dirt oval power so I need the high C rating for dirt oval and am on a budget so I can only afford one pair of really good batteries right now for both classes). Since they are more plentiful, the batteries over 5000 mAh are cheaper right now than the 5000 packs that are ROAR approved, ahve a high C rating and available at my LHS (I tend to support my local hobby shop whenever I can).

My understanding is for those USVTA drivers going to the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals that their batteries will have to have both the ROAR Approval label and be on the ROAR Approved battery list to pass tech. I was told by the local Race committee chairman that while the batteries have to be on the ROAR battery approval list to pass tech that there will not be a mAh limit on the batteries (This was as of two weeks ago so ROAR or the race committee may change thing).

I was so desperate to get a battery that was both ROAR and USVTA legal (5000 mAh and on the ROAR approval list) that I bought a Venom 5000 60C battery after swearing to myself I would never buy another Venom product because it was the only one that met both criteria and the stated length would fit in my car (I needed a 137.5mm long case) and sure enough they advertize 137.5mm case length but the case is 138.25mm long and I had to grind on my lipo retaining arms on my T2R Pro lipo weight kit anyway to get it to fit (after selling my GenAce 5000 40C batteries because they flat wouldn't fit. Still kicking myself for that one). If I have to buy 139mm batteries I will either have to remove one of the retaining arms and hope the tape holds the battery in or get an Exotek chassis for them to fit. Hopefully Team Orion will get some of their new batteries submitted for ROAR approval soon as their new 5000 mAh 90C appears to be the right length to fit my car.

Last edited by GP40X; 01-29-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I gave up trying to make hard case lipos "fit" on my touring cars with the retaining straps, clips, etc... Solution = Velcro. I can move the battery around for tuning. Its very easy to remove/install, and holds just fine. I put the soft side of the Velcro on the battery. Now, when I use it in my other cars/trucks, the fit is more snug. It also serves as padding.

I hope they do lift the 5000 mah limit. It just doesn't make any sense. It's well known that the capacity makes no performance difference. With the tires, body, motors and weight rules; a capacity limit is like the "No Blue Bodies" rule.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
... BTW Sharpie, YOU popped me a few times in the heats, not to mention nailed me a couple of times in the mains and it did not act up (sorry bro, couldn't resist ).
Hey Bill, once I found out that "tapping" your VTA car could make it shut down, I just had to give it a try during the 2nd Qualifier : . I knew the strategy worked when I heard you say "it's broke" to the turn marshal. Also when the turn marshal reset your car and put it down on the track, it was directly in my line and I couldn't resist "tapping" you once again to shut off your car again. : It's all here in this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/ebQXNqQ7WJw
Old 01-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what?...Blue car
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-07-19-08_2128.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

At this point I would probably be more inclined to go with a "hardcase only" rule vs. lifting the 5000 limit. There are a ton of batteries, but as it has been pointed out, fewer are being submitted to ROAR. ROAR will have a different take, as they are not going to limit mAh if I am correct.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Hi Guys I was wondering if someone would be able to help work out on an Novak Kinetic ESC how do I set the controler up for blinky mode and what indicates that it is in that mode as per ROAR approval. Its a bit hazy on the manual
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

At this point I would probably be more inclined to go with a "hardcase only" rule vs. lifting the 5000 limit. There are a ton of batteries, but as it has been pointed out, fewer are being submitted to ROAR. ROAR will have a different take, as they are not going to limit mAh if I am correct.
I know that at the ROAR nats that happened this past July, the RMT (ROAR's race management team) were allowing older packs that weren't on the current approval list - ie, ones that expired in the last year

so that helped a few guys out - I wish i would have known that sooner, because I dumped a class because one of my packs was ROAR approved, but didn't have the sticker nor was it on the current list...but talking with the RMT, they were allowing them as long as it was on a 'recent' list
Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by TJ
Hi Guys I was wondering if someone would be able to help work out on an Novak Kinetic ESC how do I set the controler up for blinky mode and what indicates that it is in that mode as per ROAR approval. Its a bit hazy on the manual
You can email [email protected] for assistance.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Great idea Rob !! Although everybody understands the value of having ROAR approved packs, there's still a great supply of non ROAR approved packs that offer great performance and are VERY affordable. The Zippy's are an example. I've been using some of my 4000mah 25c hard cases for 3 years.
I wonder...how many VTA clubs and individual racers ALWAYS race someplace that absolutely HAS TO require ROAR approved batts ?? And if so...why ??
Old 01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Default Approved VTA packs

Battery Giant just got VTA packs approved

5000Mah 50c packs.

The web site will go live in about a week

Batterygiantracing.com

Currently they are available at The Track at Harbor Hobby and at

Battery Giant --- Gurnee, Il
They are not available on Batterygiant.com but my contact info is there is you are in dire need.

More to follow as the site gets up!

Sorry to plug but I just want people to know there will be suppliers of quality 5000Mah packs around for the future.

thx,
Darrald
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
I know that at the ROAR nats that happened this past July, the RMT (ROAR's race management team) were allowing older packs that weren't on the current approval list - ie, ones that expired in the last year

so that helped a few guys out - I wish i would have known that sooner, because I dumped a class because one of my packs was ROAR approved, but didn't have the sticker nor was it on the current list...but talking with the RMT, they were allowing them as long as it was on a 'recent' list
I checked on the ROAR web page and found my Team Orion Carbon Pro 5000mah 90C batteries are on the ROAR Approved list. But they did not come with the "ROAR Approved" sticker on them. Does anybody know if and how to contact Team Orion so that I can get some stickers to put on my two Team Orion batteries?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Great idea Rob !! Although everybody understands the value of having ROAR approved packs, there's still a great supply of non ROAR approved packs that offer great performance and are VERY affordable. The Zippy's are an example. I've been using some of my 4000mah 25c hard cases for 3 years.
I wonder...how many VTA clubs and individual racers ALWAYS race someplace that absolutely HAS TO require ROAR approved batts ?? And if so...why ??
Where I race our Saturday races are relaxed and lenient but the Wednesday night points series is by the rules no exceptions. You lose points for not making tech. Driver figure and numbers included. The only thing relaxed on Wednesday is the paint job.

I like the hard case idea as well. My only concern is rookies thinking they need a million mah pack to keep up. on the other side even the high mah packs don't cost what they used to.

Please make a ruling on the roar vs hard pack vs mah soon. im in the market for a new pack
Old 01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So, we're trying to get VTA, among other onroad classes, going on Friday nights at N 2 Deep RC Raceways track, but the lack of tire availability is killing us! Stupid HPI not keeping up with demand! Damn shame we can't also use these tires: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=HPI102993 and https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=HPI102994 as well. Same size, same rubber compound, just different tread pattern. These, at least are widely available. But I guess its not worth opening that can of worms, making ppl have both kinds of tires cuz one 'might' be better than the other. Just hope HPI gets with the program and fills the pipeline again, or a lot of ppl will eithe be out of VTA racing, or unable to even start. Personally, I'm glad I still have 2.5 full sets of tires from the racing I did a few years ago. I'll run em till the foam inserts are showing through, even if they wear down to complete slicks before then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.