Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ebruce
I had to grind the chassis brace quite a bit to make it fit the ballistic motor, and then mount the motor with the tabs facing the back of the car.
I didn't grind any of the brace. I mounted the motor with the tabs at about 5 o'clock looking at the rear end bell of the motor. As long as your pinion/spur combo keeps the motor at the middle or top of the mount it's fine.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iDChuck
what do they mean by direct version?

and also I'm looking for only bullet batteries where you can remove the harness and the batt has no wires on it. I have a few, but don't know the actual term for them.
"Direct Version" means that the wires are attached internally directly to the battery. The kind you are looking for with 4mm recepticle tubes is out of stock. K_Bojar's heads up is important, because the part number that appears on the label of the battery has to be on the ROAR approved list. I think the battery I linked in that previous post is not on that list even though the web site claims it is ROAR approved. The 40C and 50C 2S 5000s like the ones you want are on the list but they are forever out-of-stock. The only 2S battery on the list that currently shows in stock right now is the direct wired 2S 4000 30C. It's a good deal for $20 right now and free shipping on orders over $50. I don't have any experience with the quality of the 4000 that I can relate to you, but the 5000s I own work very well.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
"Direct Version" means that the wires are attached internally directly to the battery. The kind you are looking for with 4mm recepticle tubes is out of stock. K_Bojar's heads up is important, because the part number that appears on the label of the battery has to be on the ROAR approved list. I think the battery I linked in that previous post is not on that list even though the web site claims it is ROAR approved. The 40C and 50C 2S 5000s like the ones you want are on the list but they are forever out-of-stock. The only 2S battery on the list that currently shows in stock right now is the direct wired 2S 4000 30C. It's a good deal for $20 right now and free shipping on orders over $50. I don't have any experience with the quality of the 4000 that I can relate to you, but the 5000s I own work very well.
I just went thru the whole ROAR thing in July wasn't too bad - just gotta make sure the labels are fully intact and the tech guy can read the part numbers, if the part numbers aren't readable or on their list, the pack can't be used...

I actually had to pick up a new pack because the 5000mah Reedy pack i have doesn't a) have the 'roar approved' sticker on it because it was on the market before that was required; and b) the pack was an older pack that WAS approved, but its approval expired

so you need to pay mucho attention to the ROAR rules at a Nationals - ain't no club race
Old 11-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

A big thank you to:

RobK
Cherokee
Scottrik
Snoopy

Thank you for your answers to my question about the USVTA rule regarding spoilers and wings. I knew I was right!!

I have forwarded your responses to my fellow racers in the Vintage Trans Am class.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Here is a question for those of you who allow the HPI kit to race in your VTA class. How is that working out? The local race director want to stock a few of these in his store and allow them to race but he is concerned about the speed as aparently "out of the box" they are much faster than the current 25.5 set of rules.

We have a FDR limit of 6.9 so I assume we would have to change the gearing of the stock car to get it a little closer to our regulations. Also, I remember reading about a track that states when they can get into the top 3 they must change there car over to conform to the rules. We have had trouble mounting brushless motors in these cars as the tabs hit the motor/chasis brace. What are you guys doing to get them to fit?
Here is how the club handles it at Mikes Hobby Shop in Carrollton TX. This is the newcomers addendum we added to the Local VTA rules (1450 gr minimum weight, driver figure figure optional, & any 25.5 to allow the Trinity D3 25.5 motors some have). All other rules confirm to VTA national rules.

NEWCOMERS ADDENDUM:

If you have recently purchased a RTR HPI Sprint from Mikes and are new to VTA we welcome you to race with us! You are welcome to use the car straight out of the box! Once you have finished in the top 3 during a qualifier or a main event where 4 or more people finished racing at Mike's, we expect that you will then bring your car into accordance with the rules above. The RTR HPI Sprint will require a new lipo, motor, and ESC as listed above to be compliant.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Here is a question for those of you who allow the HPI kit to race in your VTA class. How is that working out? The local race director want to stock a few of these in his store and allow them to race but he is concerned about the speed as aparently "out of the box" they are much faster than the current 25.5 set of rules.

We have a FDR limit of 6.9 so I assume we would have to change the gearing of the stock car to get it a little closer to our regulations. Also, I remember reading about a track that states when they can get into the top 3 they must change there car over to conform to the rules. We have had trouble mounting brushless motors in these cars as the tabs hit the motor/chasis brace. What are you guys doing to get them to fit?
I wish I could help you but as our first season drew to a close we have not had a single Sprint 2 Sport Camaro show up at all. On the other hand Sakura Zero S seem to be multiplying.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A little USVTA on our tiny track.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by cherokee95; 11-22-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Keep the vids coming guys. I have a big beautiful track, but its in the midst of a small town in Georgia and its hard to keep interest up. So I guess what Im trying to say is a tiny track full of racers is better than a big gorgeous one that sits with just a couple of guys there.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Keep the vids coming guys. I have a big beautiful track, but its in the midst of a small town in Georgia and its hard to keep interest up. So I guess what Im trying to say is a tiny track full of racers is better than a big gorgeous one that sits with just a couple of guys there.
I have several vids, and more coming:

http://www.youtube.com/user/barfus123?feature=mhee
Old 11-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Not wanting to step on toes but i have a suggestion to the powers that be in vta. There needs to be a limit set on the c rating in this class. The 5000mah limit is fine but I have talked to a few people who feel the racing would get closer if there were a say 50c limit.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
That sucks! I have a few more videos on my channel as well. CLICK
Old 11-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default c rating

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
Not wanting to step on toes but i have a suggestion to the powers that be in vta. There needs to be a limit set on the c rating in this class. The 5000mah limit is fine but I have talked to a few people who feel the racing would get closer if there were a say 50c limit.
I have used 50c and 65c rated batteries in my vta and I cant tell any difference. It is my understanding that just because the battery is capable of delivering more voltage to the motor/esc, the motor/esc will only use what it needs, and the 25.5 motors cant use as much as the 50c or 65c batteries are capable of delivering. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I race against a couple of guys that have 65C packs in their VTA and I still spank them with my 20C Turnigy's
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

These things are so slow, the very marginal difference in batteries is virtually irrelevent. Your driving, setup and gearing are far more important. The problem we're running into now, is the pinions are so big, you can hardly get to the motor screws! lol. Shoulda stuck with 17.5 and policed the gearing to keep them slow...
Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 PM

Default car for racing

will a hpi sprint 2 be ok for racing vta??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.