Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
What he has is a late 80's Turbo Optima that he is very proud of with all of the modifications he has made. None of which I care for, but he is very proud of them none the less. What I dont understand is why he wants to take a rare (By todays standards) Vintage 4WD buggy that he has heavily invested in and return that buggy to the abuse of the racing environment after all of the aluminum polishing he has put himself through. A hundred dollar Sakura zero S would far better suit the purpose, would wear the legal parts better and save his precious project. What has irritated me is the pressure on the National rule set for something he probably could have gotten away with at the club level. Now we have a rule change with language that shouldnt be necessary. Just use the tires like they are marked. Put the Optima back on the shelf and race it on Vintage Day and get yourself a touring car.

I am sorry that I have offended him. I have since eaten and rested so maybe I will not do so again soon.
Yeah I saw his post with the car in it and that's why I was confused. I don't really get why you would race a buggy with heavy aluminum parts and an extremely high CG in onroad racing. As for the whole tire debate it's pretty obvious to me which tires go where and in the "spirit of VTA" why that is. If it was legal and was better/faster, then everyone would already be using 31mm tires all the way around already. That's my take on it. No need to pick nits and get all litigious over it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well how was everybodies VTA racing this past weekend?...
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
If you weren't at the 2011 USVTA nats then it was just a regular ole weekend
Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

I had a regular ol weekend.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mine was great!

chuck
Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default VTA at Snowbird Nationals

Has everyone/anyone seen the post on the Snowbird Nationals Facebook page stating that VTA is returning to the Snowbird Nationls this year.!.?.!!!

Now, we can only hope that means "VTA Rules", 25.5 motors, etc...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Snowbi...s/202744040561
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A step backwards. I had to gut the car and start over. Out with the 21.5 and SP GT 1.1 speedo from 2 years ago and in with the Cirtix and 25.5. Waiting for parts now. I hope to be able to practice and set it back up this weekend.

Long live that old FT TC3. May it yet see another TQ.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I guess I am going to have to change the rules to specify which tire goes where. Expect to see this soon.
Don't forget to include that it is illegal to mount the tires inside out or mount bodies upside down or backwards. Then when you have a rules set as big as a phone book everybody can be happy.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aarivers
I'm still missing something here. What is this car built for anyways? It's not VTA legal according to how I read the rules "Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only" so why are you concerned with what tires to run?
Actually, the car *is* pretty close to meeting all the criteria. It's a 4WD, it's nothing even close to it's original purpose anymore, it's actually quite lightweight too (1488g with everything mounted except battery)...the only thing NOT meeting the criteria are the aforementioned 31mm tires and adding a driver figure. Hence, the question. I wasn't "clowning around", it was a legitimate question.

As far as the "would 31mm tires on front make a difference?" question goes, indeed it increases the weight somewhat, with a corresponding speed decrease--but on the other side of the coin would be better cornering & handling. The way I drive, speed is the least of my concerns.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
What I dont understand is why he wants to take a rare (By todays standards) Vintage 4WD buggy that he has heavily invested in and return that buggy to the abuse of the racing environment after all of the aluminum polishing he has put himself through. A hundred dollar Sakura zero S would far better suit the purpose, would wear the legal parts better and save his precious project.
I actually have 3 Turbo Optimas and enough parts to build another, maybe 2 more. Box-arts hold no interest for me, and I don't see the point of building 5 cars exactly alike. I have also little interest in buying a modern kit, because that's actually more money out-of-pocket than what I'm spending to modify these, because I already have the parts. Furthermore, the quality of those vintage high-end cars is FAR superior to any entry-level modern kit costing $100, and probably equivalent to a $500 high-end kit. My only car that needs to sit on a shelf is a Gold Celebration Chassis unit.

I'm sorry you weren't impressed by any of the mods done to this chassis...maybe reading the build thread might at least help you appreciate the work that went into totally re-engineering the chassis for on-road use. Perhaps to some it would be considered a waste of time. Why did I do it? Because I can.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

It is specified "Touring Car Chassis".

From the rules:

Chassis Specification:
Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only. Any era or brand 4wd chassis is allowed. An Excel spreadsheet gear ratio and final drive ratio calculator for most touring car chassis is available here.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by liljohn1064

From the rules:
And how exactly do you define "Touring Car Chassis"? How is this chassis not considered that? Just because it started life as an offroad chassis, there's no possibility it could ever be anything else?? This is getting rather silly.

One thing I'll admit, I'm not one to follow the lemmings, I tend to blaze my own trails.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Coelacanth
And how exactly do you define "Touring Car Chassis"? How is this chassis not considered that? Just because it started life as an offroad chassis, there's no possibility it could ever be anything else?? This is getting rather silly.
You just answered your own question.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by liljohn1064

From the rules:
Quote:
Chassis Specification:
Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only. Any era or brand 4wd chassis is allowed. An Excel spreadsheet gear ratio and final drive ratio calculator for most touring car chassis is available here.
Uh-oh. Looks like someone needs to re-write the rule-book to eliminate ambiguities, eh?

The sad thing about this twist on the debate is all we're doing is arguing semantics, not focusing on the details that matter: What specifications effectively constitute a "touring car chassis"? I'd rather discuss details such as height, weight, suspension, transmission, etc. than wank around with word-play.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Just give it a rest Coelacanth. Your obviously just trying to buck the rules, and get them changed to suit you. If your local track wants to allow it, then just go race there. If you want to run with 2 31mm tires glued together on all 4 corners, find a place and a group that wants to as well. Its not going to be this 1.

I dont get all these people that talk down about how they dont like the VTA class rules, are always trying to get the rules to change to suit them just so they can race a class they say they dont like. If you dont like it, then race a class you like, or start a whole new 1 if you can get enough of a following that feels the same way you do. The class works as its written.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.