Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Apex, the rules is why this class will get bigger and better....
The rules are solid. It's one guy steering the ship with a lot of smart and enthusiastic people supporting the quest.

The class will get bigger and better because of the awesome racers that are getting excited about racing R/C cars again.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
is anybody else running 6 cell or are all the tracks pretty much running 4 cell rules?
the local track decided that 6 cell or lipo was the norm for the outdoor pavement track and I can't seem to convince them that it just makes it another TC class with tire and body rule. I can't convince them that 4 cell is just as easy as lipo if you want it to be but they think you have to discharge packs and have a matched packs. one guy even asked if 4 cell would make 8 minutes. I explained that the rest of the states running trans am are running 4 cell for 8 minutes... it just didn't click with him. still not sure it has. tried to convince him that 4cell would be easier on the tyres just said that he was lazy and didn't care.

anybody else having a hard time convincing people to follow the 4 cell rule?

Robert, I told you I'd run 4 cells... Oh you must be talkin about Myron! I just don't want to have to buy a 21.5 (& another gtb) to run w/ my lipo to keep up....so get that FDR limit for our track figured out...while I go unsolder some packs. !!!mandate brushed!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

one guy even asked if 4 cell would make 8 minutes. I explained that the rest of the states running trans am are running 4 cell for 8 minutes... it just didn't click with him.
Oh, by the way, 4-cell T/A cars have regulary run 12-13 minutes on an average 4200 pack. Brushed and brushless, too.

It's nice to not have to worry about batteries at all. Ever.

21.5/LiPo will make that even better.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Oh, by the way, 4-cell T/A cars have regulary run 12-13 minutes on an average 4200 pack. Brushed and brushless, too.

It's nice to not have to worry about batteries at all. Ever.

21.5/LiPo will make that even better.
Any idea when the 21.5/lipo rule will go into effect? I'd like to run the same batteries for this as I do off-road.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
Any idea when the 21.5/lipo rule will go into effect? I'd like to run the same batteries for this as I do off-road.
if it happens...end of the summer after the season is over
Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

The official estimate is sometime in mid-August.

A lot of tracks are already running the 21.5/LiPo combo with a 4.2 FDR limit with great success. Check with your local track to see what they are currently doing, and if they aren't, bring up the option with a FDR limit. Lots of times, all it will take is you running it "exhibition" against everyone else to prove that it's equal to the other cars. Basically, you want to gear to be the same speeds as everyone else.

We won't have it on the rules list until later this summer, though. Check back a few pages here for some of the other potential details of the new rules.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

BTW, just a couple of notes...

We are completely sold out of LARGE T-shirts, and running low on MEDIUM sizes. We have plenty remaining of XL, 2XL and 3XL for anyone interested. Check the website for ordering info.

I have a set of used/clean Trans Am tires on white 8-spoke (Panasport Ultralights) if anyone needs a set. Let me know— $25 shipped for the whole set, broken in and ready-to-race. Just an extra set I don't need.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is in addition to slakr's post (we race at the same track). He was the winner, I was 3rd, in the brushed car, (last weeks winner, the green mustang), my red car was driven by a newcomer, we hooked him , We had one other new comer and should have another for next week, so we are growing, one or two at a time. By the way, I stepped off the track dimensions and it is right at 100' x 65' , we have different layouts every week so you can't get comfortable, I ran a new 4cell pack for the main and while the bottom end was a lot better, the top end was about the same as the lipo cars, so it is still driver skill at this time.
Laterz,
Bob
Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
I have a set of used/clean Trans Am tires on white 8-spoke (Panasport Ultralights) if anyone needs a set. Let me know— $25 shipped for the whole set, broken in and ready-to-race. Just an extra set I don't need.
PM sent
Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
While there is very definitely "too fast", there's no such thing as "too slow"...but that's an idea that a lot of racers have a hard time getting their heads around. The "slower" the racing the closer the pack. Period.

American toy car racers (whether RC, slot cars, whatever) seem to have a mindset that "faster racing" equals "better racing". That is demonstrably not the case. "Faster" racing is just that...faster. Usually more expensive too. The slowest classes, whether real cars or toy cars, ALWAYS have the closest ("best") racing.
Well said...

95% of the people racing associate fast with better racing (without getting on a soapbox, I blame ALL the R/C mags with their "go faster with this..." articles) - more evenly matched car give better visual/spectator views of racing yeah, its great to see a "blur" flash by you on the front straight - but how can that compare to 2 (or 3 or 4) cars slicing and dicing their way down the front straight making inside-out moves on one another??
Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Any PA/NJ/DE/NY guys looking to run some TA this summer, Ray Murray and his racing program will be doing a bunch of TA events (well bunch is an estimate) this summer...

Can't wait to bring this class over to NJ and get some use form my 27T and 4cell packs

After having the HPI challenge this weekend, Ray constantly plugged your rules/organization Doug - without ever mentioning you - and it also brought a couple of people to consider coming out of retirement

on a different note, anyone have any decent links for 'Cuda TA cars?? All I've seen have been the Gurney ones
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
on a different note, anyone have any decent links for 'Cuda TA cars?? All I've seen have been the Gurney ones
There really weren't many. The B-body Mopars required SO much more engineering to be competitive, both chassis- and engine-wise. You should see the floor pan bracing alone in the Autodynamics Posey Challenger. Engines were EXPENSIVE to build as they ended up having to de-stroke 340's where Ford and Chev had pretty much off-the-shelf 302's so privateers could go. Racers, then as now, had budgets and most weren't SO loyal to one brand or another that they would go to THAT much more effort and expense when the Mustang or Camaro could be built from pretty much off-the-shelf components and raced.

The Mopars were also heavy and suspension development was limited by their torsion bar front suspension. Of course torsion bars are commonly used by F-1 teams today but they were nowhere nearly so well-developed on the 'Cuda and Challengers.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Here are a couple example shots of cage work differences. The Camaro has a very well-engineered cage but NOTHING like the rat's nest of tubes in the Challenger. Look at that STOUT X-bracing for the floor pan and how the driveshaft tunnel was re-built as a fabricated torque box structure. And it's not like the Camaro didn't work--it ran away with the championship in '69.

MOST privateer cars that filled the grid at TA events weren't close to competitive with the "factory" teams and were several laps down. That doesn't mean they weren't VERY competitive Regional cars running in A-Sedan. I've also added a couple pics of a Camaro that ran in the NW by Ken Deckman. He ran the west coast TA events for several years with mediocre finishes but he was almost dominant in the North West Region (NWR) SCCA. This car is VERY typical of a privateer car bolted together and maintained on a modest budget. The simple fact was you could build and race the Camaro or Mustang with much less expense and effort. Not unlike today, whether restoring or racing the bowtie or blue oval vs. the Mopar. It can be done, but nobody does except the true believer.

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-27-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by k_bojar
...Ray constantly plugged your rules/organization Doug - without ever mentioning you
That's perfectly fine with me. This great class is about the cars and the racers and a throw-back to when R/C car racing was FUN.

If you read Scott's posts a few times, he's trying to say that there really weren't ANY other Cudas in Trans Am racing, and only one Challenger.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

is anybody else running 6 cell or are all the tracks pretty much running 4 cell rules?

anybody else having a hard time convincing people to follow the 4 cell rule?
We race on asphalt right now and follow the indoor rules. Our track is about 120 foot long. We raced as a group of people indoors using the TA rules so when it was time to go outside it was an easy decision and an easy transition for all racers.

About 1/2 of or TA racers race a second class on Sundays. So they come to the track with a TA car and another 1/10th scale usually set up for Modified class.

If we didn't have a strong Rookie class I would have been tempted to go with more power for our outdoor TA races, but TA is a great "next class" for our newbie racers to jump to when they are done with Rookie class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.