Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty
So how exactly do you measure that on an SS motor?
look at the endbell the bottom screw of the 3 away from the solder posts has a line in the ring close to it. if the line is to the left all the way and it's only about 1/8" or so it's 30 degree if it's all the way as far as it will rotate to the right it's about 42 degree. total about a 1/4" swing. just crank it right and gear from there.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know which Hobbywing is the same as the Citrix and has it intentionally been left off the ESC list or is it just something that hasnt been done yet?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
If I am mounting a VTA tire that doesn't fit perfectly, I put the mounted tire (not glued) on a smooth surface and roll the tire back & forth with my hand. Usually that will even out the tire on the wheel.

Occasionally a wheel won't fit perfectly. In those cases I make sure to take a little extra care when gluing the tire. I use rubber bands to hold the tires in place while gluing. I got the rubber bands at an office supply store (or maybe it was Walmart). Just find some decent wide rubber bands that are smaller than the tire diameter.

READ THIS FIRST BEFORE GLUING TIRES
If you are using any of the CHROME wheels, remove all chrome from the wheel where the tire contacts the wheel and will be glued. You can use a small file to remove the chrome. Failing to remove the chrome from the wheel will yeild poor results. This is due to the tire being glued to the chrome plating and not the plastic wheel. Eventually the tire will pull the plating away from the wheel, and the tire will become loose. This will cause traction issues such as traction rolling in high speed corners.

Here is how I apply glue. (I usually work on fronts or rears in pairs)

Front Side (HPI logo)
- Tire #1. Apply glue at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock and set aside.
- Tire #2. Repeat above
- Tire #1. Apply glue at 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock and set aside.
- Tire #2. Repeat above.
- Tire #1. Apply glue to any areas that have not bonded and set aside.
- Tire #2. Repeat above.
- Tire #1. Apply a small bead of glue at edge of tire/wheel and let dry.
- Tire #2. Repeat above.
Back Side (no logo)
After the front side has dried I repeat above steps.

If you take your time gluing VTA tires, you should never have to worry about them coming unglued during the life of the tires. Since the tire is the only part of the car to touch the ground, a few extra minutes of prep time can save hours of frustration at the track.
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I normally put the tires and rims together and let them sit a day...or put them on the car and "bump" the trigger to even out the foam...then glue them up
Question for IndyRC and DARKSIDE on gluing tires. Do you trim the foams up some to make the fit in the tire better (trim the inner edge where it sits on the bead)? Also any tips for getting the mold lines off the beads? (I tend to butcher beads with lexan scissors but don't know how this compound rubber will handle a dremel).

Thanks,
Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
Question for IndyRC and DARKSIDE on gluing tires. Do you trim the foams up some to make the fit in the tire better (trim the inner edge where it sits on the bead)? Also any tips for getting the mold lines off the beads? (I tend to butcher beads with lexan scissors but don't know how this compound rubber will handle a dremel).

Thanks,
I just take some fine sand paper and sand the bead some so its smooth...doesnt take much. Then clean with alcohol and mount them on the rims.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thanks,
Bill,

I just make sure I sand the plating off if I am not using the white, black, or gunmetal wheels. I haven't ever had any glue failures and I don't do anything to the beads.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks,
aside from removing chrome - nothing else special has to be done to mount up the VTA tires/wheels...

I've mounted probably close to a dozen sets in the last year, year & a 1/2, and never once had to re-glue the tires

the foam fits in fine - this isn't off-road when tapering the foams give you an advantage...the carcass of these tires are fairly firm, so it won't be rolling on its side too easy

don't over-think it, just line up the tires and apply the glue nice and slow and even - and you'll be fine
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

anyone have a good vta starting setup for a tc6?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

to who ever knows or is on the rules and website for the national rules package any word on when the challenger will be added? it took all of about 5 days from the release announcement for the javelin to be added i have my challenger painted and ready but we are sticky on the rules needs to be on the list to run it.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I don't know of any track what would prohibit the running of the Challenger body.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slashdriver
I don't know of any track what would prohibit the running of the Challenger body.
Absolutely. There is no reason why it would not be legal—it's virtually identical to the Cuda. Rob just hasn't gotten around to making the update to the website.

Run it. If someone complains about it, they should have their meds changed.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
Absolutely. There is no reason why it would not be legal—it's virtually identical to the Cuda. Rob just hasn't gotten around to making the update to the website.

Run it. If someone complains about it, they should have their meds changed.
what about a d3 25.5? Virtually identical to novak.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sobiski racer
what about a d3 25.5? Virtually identical to novak.
No. Nice try.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

little help please, on the front tire how low can I go before it is not legal? I notice my inside front tire goes much faster than the outer and was told as long as I have at least 2-3 lines of treads left I am good, is that a fact?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gofasteddy
little help please, on the front tire how low can I go before it is not legal? I notice my inside front tire goes much faster than the outer and was told as long as I have at least 2-3 lines of treads left I am good, is that a fact?
depending on how strict your track runs the rules, you can go for a little while I believe the rules say you have to have visible tread - so unless its totally bald, you should be good for a little bit

depending on how much camber you run, you'll run into that - closer to 0* will give you a little longer life, but you make have some traction issues
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

it may be different on carpet, but on asphalt, the vta tires seem to "go away" and lose traction by the time they are worn enough to not have all rows of tread visible. at least, that's been my experience and the experience of a few of our other drivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.