Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Question on the driver panel rule....Does it have to be a "purchased" driver panel? Or could you make 1 as long as it was to scale or real close?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
Squarehead, do you have a carpet VTA setup for your JRXSR??
Yeah, I was REALLY happy with the way the car performed at the '11 Nats last month. A sharper driver and it would have been a lot better of a finish than I had. Give it a shot, though...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2011_vta-nationals_dc.pdf (486.6 KB, 337 views)
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Squarehead, that will give me a good starting point. I will be using the exotek top deck for my VTA chassis for a bit more flex. Time to try out my FF spool.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Can you explain if each adds or reduces understeer, oversteer, etc. on or off power, etc?

Thanks
Dave

Originally Posted by squarehead
Well, Kent is partially correct. Not like Posi-Traction at all, though, which is still a gear-driven limited slip differential. In a Posi, you can turn a corner with one wheel driving through the corner, and the other wheel not putting down any power at all (remember the legal strategy in "My Cousin Vinny").

A spool, properly installed, is a live axle—or solid axle, like a go-kart. There is ZERO slip between left to right side drive wheels. In this case, the front tires turning a corner are turning different radii, and relying on the slippage of the tires instead of a differential. Think of trying to make a rolling pencil turn a corner.

A one-way is just that—it's driving in one direction via a needle roller bearing. On power, it is driving forward via needle bearing friction in it's housing, and each wheel will slip on it's own necessary need. Once power is off, the bearings will allow it to spin freely with little internal drag, and behave like a 2wd car. Braking ability is decreased by 50% in a 4wd car, and again like lower class racing karts, only will use braking through the rear axles. For some, this is a really difficult setup to handle, and many prefer to not use it. A front one way is really nice in a situation where the track is flowing, long, and fast, and requires very little braking at all—if any. The car will have less drag from the setup, as it will behave as a 2wd drivetrain without a front differential.

One-ways are not recommended for new, inexperienced or slower drivers. The benefits are usually outweighed by the negatives for drivers who tend to make more than one mistake a race.

Make sense? HTH

Last edited by TT_Vert; 05-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gear diffs seem the way to go. Are they available for older Xray cars like the 007? If not I think I'll go with a one way on carpet.

chuck
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Question on the driver panel rule....Does it have to be a "purchased" driver panel? Or could you make 1 as long as it was to scale or real close?
Thats cool....but I would go with the HPI one...its around $12 at LHS...and it can be two driver figures...that gives you one for your son....

also how old are they and are they coming with you in Sept...Im getting the Jr VTA class into the Southern Nats
Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Thats cool....but I would go with the HPI one...its around $12 at LHS...and it can be two driver figures...that gives you one for your son....

also how old are they and are they coming with you in Sept...Im getting the Jr VTA class into the Southern Nats
yeah I need 3 total and building 3 vta cars has taxed my wallet....2 from nothing.

They are coming up there with me to race, 1 is 13 1 is 15.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah I need 3 total and building 3 vta cars has taxed my wallet....2 from nothing.

They are coming up there with me to race, 1 is 13 1 is 15.
thats cool...Im doing the thread and flyer today and post it here and everywhere...lol
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
thats cool...Im doing the thread and flyer today and post it here and everywhere...lol
looking VERY forward to it...its gonna be my real race of the year. Saving my other 70 camaro body for it....will paint it up right before the race for concourse
Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

In TC's, will spurs interchange form chassis to chassis? They looks the same in the cars. like for example can I use the same spur in my TC5 and my sons Cyclone? I have a 100/46 4.3 FDR combo going right now but thinking about dropping to a 88/44 4.0 combo. My son has a 109 spur right now and was gonna put my 100 or my extra 96 in it instead

Then I have to dig into my other sons TT-01 to figure out what he has lol
Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

In TC's, will spurs interchange form chassis to chassis? They looks the same in the cars. like for example can I use the same spur in my TC5 and my sons Cyclone? I have a 100/46 4.3 FDR combo going right now but thinking about dropping to a 88/44 4.0 combo. My son has a 109 spur right now and was gonna put my 100 or my extra 96 in it instead

Then I have to dig into my other sons TT-01 to figure out what he has lol
the TC5 and cyclone should be able to change spur gears - but the 2 cars have different internal gear ratios. I know the cyclone alone has 3 different ones (2.4375 standard cyclone, 2.167 cyclone TC and 1.95 for the tcx) and the tc5, i believe, is a 2.0 internal ratio

this will make a gearing 100/46 give you a different FDR for the TC5 and the cyclone...so you'll have to do some math to get a tc5 and cyclone to have the final FDR - and it make not be exact

as far as the tt01 - that's kinda limited on what you can gear it at (tamiya has it set at 2 or 3 different pre-configured ratios)...i'd read thru the TT01 thread because i know there were a few guys that made some modifications to allow for different gear ratios
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by k_bojar
the TC5 and cyclone should be able to change spur gears - but the 2 cars have different internal gear ratios. I know the cyclone alone has 3 different ones (2.4375 standard cyclone, 2.167 cyclone TC and 1.95 for the tcx) and the tc5, i believe, is a 2.0 internal ratio

this will make a gearing 100/46 give you a different FDR for the TC5 and the cyclone...so you'll have to do some math to get a tc5 and cyclone to have the final FDR - and it make not be exact

as far as the tt01 - that's kinda limited on what you can gear it at (tamiya has it set at 2 or 3 different pre-configured ratios)...i'd read thru the TT01 thread because i know there were a few guys that made some modifications to allow for different gear ratios
yeah i have that excel spreadsheet with all the internal ratios and you plug in your spur and pinion for that car and it gives the fdr.

Im finding out unfortunately about the gearing in the tt-01....what a headache...hope its not gonna be a problem in vta. hate for him to not be competitive
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

yeah i have that excel spreadsheet with all the internal ratios and you plug in your spur and pinion for that car and it gives the fdr.

Im finding out unfortunately about the gearing in the tt-01....what a headache...hope its not gonna be a problem in vta. hate for him to not be competitive
i know the tt01 has 2 spur options, one smaller, one bigger...

I know there was someone who was able to get 1 tooth bigger on the pinion in his TT01 (with the small spur)..and i think he was running vta

sadly, he'll be at a slight disadvantage - but that car wasn't really make to compete with a full on race chassis that's why you see very few in the TCS outside the spec class
Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It will probably be a problem...
TT-01 only goes as low as 4.83 with some relatively serious modifications. Typical FDR for the 25.5 is 4.0 with some people going to 3.8

Here's a link to the picture of the gearing options.
http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/a...t01gearing.jpg

The F201 spur they are referring to requires some work... if you look through the TT01 forum you can find the exact procedures.

Hate to be "that guy" but if you can upgrade him to at least a TC3/4 then you have some opportunities to work on the FDR and get it where you need it.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah....well this is gonna be a kick in the junk for him

Guess Ill be listing a TT01 for sale now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.