Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When we were running VTA, i was geared close to 4.0

I had great rip out of the corners but i hit top speed about 40 feet down the 80 foot straight.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
....Most VTA racers need to add weight anyway, but a heavier shell doesnt help the center of gravity. I think it was a good move. The shell still looks great and it holds up much better to the rigors of racing. I dont think the added weight is much of an issue under the conditions that it is being used.
+1 ......I got a newer, thicker HPI Camaro and didn't notice a handling difference in VTA, whereas the difference between a regular and lightweight LTC-R is HUGE for my 17.5/13.5 ROAR TC. I'm super happy that HPI began making thicker bodies.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Too Many Rules

Limiting the mAh to 5000 doesn't make the class very cheap if you've already got 5600 mAh batteries from off-road racing and you want to run another class aside from 1/12 during the winter.

Maybe it is unfair that my voltage will stay higher longer, but what happened to run what you brung? Sure it will keep the cost for new guys down, but what about guys that already have a bunch of stuff? Not to mention it's guys like me getting the class started that will attract others to join in. It should be low cost for everyone. The high turn motor should limit the advantage of having higher mAh.

It appears many tracks are allowing high end speed controls because they don't want guys like me to have to go out and buy another ESC. If a guy has timing advance turned on it should be obvious, no?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you're helping to start up the class then you'll have to use some common sense and make allowances for what people already have. Stick as close to the rules as you can, but it doesn't make sense for 10 guys to buy brand new batteries over something like 600mah.

HOWEVER, if you show up to something like the VTA National Race or some other BIG RACE, you should expect 100% enforcement and compliance with the rules.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pmes
Limiting the mAh to 5000 doesn't make the class very cheap if you've already got 5600 mAh batteries from off-road racing and you want to run another class aside from 1/12 during the winter.

Maybe it is unfair that my voltage will stay higher longer, but what happened to run what you brung? Sure it will keep the cost for new guys down, but what about guys that already have a bunch of stuff? Not to mention it's guys like me getting the class started that will attract others to join in. It should be low cost for everyone. The high turn motor should limit the advantage of having higher mAh.

It appears many tracks are allowing high end speed controls because they don't want guys like me to have to go out and buy another ESC. If a guy has timing advance turned on it should be obvious, no?
The rules are the rules. Period.

Everybody else is apparently way smarter than the guys who came up with this, so they are doing things their own way. That's fine. I just think that there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Otherwise things spiral out of control. See RCGT.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

This is a post by Steve Salvas from Team Tekin on DirtOval.com:

"
Let me clarify something for you because it is obvious you were misleaded ...

The SPEC softwares that ROAR mandated the esc manufacturers to comply with was never meant to bring the "current" esc back to what the outdated 5 year old GTB performance is. (most already run Tekin/Castle Creation anyway) It was meant to take away "speedo settings" oriented car performance and eliminate that variable. Novak (Kinetics) / LRP / Castle Creation / Tekin all perform within the same range in SPEC mode and it takes away that "software related myth" that you'll get out performanced by a software or settings.

The GTB's software throttle algorythm is outdated and should not be compared with recent speedos. ROAR is the sanctioning body behind the "seal" on the SPEC softwares that the esc manufacturers have to submit in order to get the SPEC "seal".

Why would the batteries NOW come as a factor ... are you saying the unlocked software allows racer to get lost in the settings thus diluting the effect of a fresh battery versus a worn out one? Any of the variables involved in making your car go forward as a say in the car performance ... one of the most important variables now become a constant and you claim the battery will now become an issue ... with this thinking we should all run open mod motors so power is never an issue! 13.5 DODC is SPEC racing and all unrestricted variables (tires/suspension/etc.) will always be important.

That being said, if the cars are too fast ... why not consider 17.5 instead?!?

Adding weight to an already quite heavy car will only increase tire wear, don't you think?

Steve.
team Tekin"

This is the reason why there is a list of speedos. You are still buying a $150 and up ESC if the spec mode is allowed.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Judging by how often the rules change this is already out of control. It's a cool idea though.

How much time per lap can one gain using a 5600 mAh battery w/a kinetic in spec mode vs. a 5000 mAh battery and a GTB or equivalent ESC?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Specs haven't changed in over 2 years...not very often at all.

Now if they keep flip-flopping to keep "but I already got a battery" sated then it will be a lot.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So where can i buy the Novak 25.5 system? I cannot seem to find it online anywhere.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gordondude24
So where can i buy the Novak 25.5 system? I cannot seem to find it online anywhere.
Generally speaking, only available directly from Novak. Have a look at:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...vta/index.html
Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brushed Motor ??

Courious, what are people using for a ROAR stock motor, brand and model ??

thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Firefox
Courious, what are people using for a ROAR stock motor, brand and model ??
I don't believe ROAR actually recognize a "ROAR-stock" motor any longer. At least not as far as classes for same at level 3-4 ROAR events. They still publish a spec, but don't provide a venue at which to use it.

USVTA no longer recognize "ROAR stock" motors as of 9/1. They HAD been grandfathered in (they were the original spec) under a series of "equivalency" formulae but that has ended with the most recent update. The only officially recognized for USVTA is the 25.5 brushless.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

USVTA website updated, new rules set up in html, track submission form works correctly now as well
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sigh.........You may think that you are being picked on. You may think that its not quite right that your battery, ESC or whatever is not allowed. You may think that, "Rules are rules!" is a thoughtless explanation for why you cant use your beloved part, but when everything has been explained to death and you still want to do what you want, Then "because I said so." has to be reason enough.

Robk and guys like Skottrik have been around this a while. They have explained this stuff time and time again. Thats why they are numb. Most of us who have been here a while are numb to these arguments.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

So now there is a limit on the lipos?? And what if the lipo i have isnt "Roar approved" You guys are going to "Rule "the class into extinction, be carefull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.