Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Ahh, I meant behind the pinion. Thanks for catching that, there is of course no webbing behind the spur .

The smallest spur I've ever put on the TC3/TC4 has been an 81, I've never needed to go smaller than that. I like to gear between 4.2/4.5 which I can easily hit with an 81.

Last edited by trerc; 01-29-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Shot this video yesterday of my buddy's VTA-TC5 Camero and thought Id share it with you guys. 44sec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rbPNDmkvRI
Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You guys arguing about using older speedos are missing one key point. This class is not designed to be a second class for racers. It's designed to bring new people into the hobby! That means they don't have old stuff they can use. A new racer in VTA can buy an inexpensive car, and the Novak motor/speedo combo is cheaper than most high end racing speedos alone. This is a good way of getting their feet wet in racing. If they really like it then they will step up to the faster more expensive cars.

Also individual clubs can always set the rules up for their needs, based on their track and who's racing. The only time you have to worry about legal motors or speedos would be if you go to a USVTA race. Contrary to popular opinion, not everybody travels.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Rob, I brought up the idea of putting a chicane in the straight to eliminate the advantage of high timing, but it never happened. Perhaps i will bring that up again and see if we can get that working for us. I will absorb this info and see if i can work up a plan that will work for all in our group. Thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
You guys arguing about using older speedos are missing one key point. This class is not designed to be a second class for racers. It's designed to bring new people into the hobby! That means they don't have old stuff they can use. A new racer in VTA can buy an inexpensive car, and the Novak motor/speedo combo is cheaper than most high end racing speedos alone. This is a good way of getting their feet wet in racing. If they really like it then they will step up to the faster more expensive cars.
This is exactly why I decided to go with the VTA class. I have done mainly off-road and wanted something to race in the winter as the LHS put in a bigger track this year (had a small track for 1/18th scales the previous 2 years). I didn't want to go out and spend several hundreds of dollars on something I may not like and know I had no shot of even sniffing the A-main in. So I went VTA and am enjoying the heck out of it. Not sure if the local track is going to go to the new rules or not since we haven't had that many races with the class yet. It isn't that big of a track (70x36 or so) and the layout changes monthly. I currently have a 5.0 FDR on my TC3 and it feels about right for now. (I'm still learning how to drive and setup this thing). One of my competitors went from a 4.5 FDR to a 3.7 FDR and actually got slower on the track with his 17.5/4cell setup. There is usually 1 straight the whole length of track but the rest is twisty turny with little space to get speed.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Hey Fellas, I just have a question about an older car...The Associated TC4...My lady is looking to get into the Vintage TA class. I'm seeing a lot of good deals when it comes to the TC4, which I "believe" would be a good car to start her out with..I stress the word good. Do any of you still run the TC4? If so, is it solid car for Vintage TA?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

it works well for VTA from what I have seen. Not sure if it applies to the TC4, but the TC3 at least which I believe shares parts with the TC4 was more durable when you added some of the BRP protection stuff like the nerf wings, and the front and rear bumpers.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hello,

I would like to convert my TA05R and join the VTA Class. Got the Tires, Body and 21.5. We run on a track that is kinda technical (95 x 40). I currently have a 98 spur and have pinions from 30 - 40 (64p). Any one having a TA05 recommend a spur/gear combo?

thanks !
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
whats the smallest spur the TC3 and TC4's can take?

i know on my Academy i can run a 62 tooth, maybe even smaller.

The police car conversion is coming along nice, got in my blue lenses.
A 60 tooth Robinson Racing spur in 48 pitch. I ran a 69 tooth Kimbrough with a 33 tooth pinion which worked well at our track. If you want to run a 34T or 35T pinion you will need to modify the motor mount and webbing on the chassis. There are pictures of this mod on the VTA setup topic.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

it works well for VTA from what I have seen. Not sure if it applies to the TC4, but the TC3 at least which I believe shares parts with the TC4 was more durable when you added some of the BRP protection stuff like the nerf wings, and the front and rear bumpers.
-Thanks Cain
Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

no prob. I would also recommend going with a body that is pretty beefy. I have been happy so far with the parma stuff. It may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she is the one you want in your corner in an all as she can take a left hook.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she is the one you want in your corner in an all as she can take a left hook.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Just to clear things up a bit.. the BRP stuff will not work on the TC4. The bumpers on the TC3 are much different, you can use the NTC3 front bumper if you choose but the Parma hard bumper is a much better option. In fact I will say buy it for the TC3, TC4, and TC5, on the 4 and 5 it will pay for itself in the first few races. The BRP nerf bars won't work as there isn't enough room for the nylocks between the chassis and heatsink. With that said there's alot of stuff that will swap between the TC3 and TC4 there's also some Losi xxx-s parts that were popular upgrades in the TC4 days such as the rear hub carriers and front caster/steering blocks.

Anyway the best thing to do is get into the older threads and read on.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks to all the great discussions and some occasional moaning and screaming by VTA drivers on this forum; and eventually some ballsy decisions by the VTA head honchos ....our club is returning to VTA !!! We are returning to our original plan to run both VTA and RCGT type races using only the VTA motor/esc rules. RCGT will be offered only as an infrequent special event. Our primary focus will be VTA. As far as I know, we'll be the only group in Florida offering VTA.
Anybody up for a trip to Florida in the future for a Nationals ??!!
Thanks All !!!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Video of Ohio race.......

I found a video of the Ohio A Main win by Arvin.........Enjoy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTBRge6W_YI

Last edited by Slotmachine; 01-29-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Repair link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.