Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, agree! I think this type of racing does require more attention to corner speed and lines for those hot/fast laps... those corners leading onto long straights definitely require focus..and the best line may not be the fastest!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My TC3s are great and I'm just goofing with the other equipment. This E4 might get the shelf again. I try to run sweeping lines and carry my corner speed as much as possible. I normally can pass on the outside, but have been door drilled occaisionally when I think I have the line. I usually get dove into when scrubbing speed starting my initial turn in. Its annoying, but I get over it. I'm seriously doubting this car will ever be competitive though at this point.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
ah, were you the 'only' GA guy that showed up that I meet? who ever that was, thanks for helping with the show!

Donald
I dont know what happened to the GA crew. They must have been getting their nails done.

Originally Posted by cliferton
just wanna clear one thing up. We are not from memphis. Jason Lutz was the only Memphis guy there and he was not in the race.

Team T.O.P. was clif dodd and Justin Lyons from jackson TN, and Quinton Robbins from Jonesboro AR. wee looked pretty rough after all that racing or maybe i'm just that fugly
OK sorry for the confusion. I just heard that we had racers there from Memphis and I heard someone asking if I had ever run in the beat the heat. Which I think is in Memphis. I will have to make it to Jonesboro sometime. I hear there is some great racing out that way.

By the way are you saying that you have to be Fugly to be from Memphis?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Hey if I come back up there for a regular club race, will you let me run a Vette? How about an HPI Pantera? No wing of course.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at thunder we don't follow the VTA body rules to the letter so I'm thinking on getting my 78 TA bandit body painted to run. it's suppose to be a fun class so as long as it's not a truck or sedan body for the most part we let it run. someone was running a 66? impala in one of the club races and another kid ran a viper as that's his classic car. I know it looks cooler if you get the same era of cars but a classis sports car to a 15 yo is different then a 55yo and me personally I wasn't even born when the 1968 camero was made. so classic to me is when I was 10 and the late 70's early 80's sports cars.

he said nails....
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
at thunder we don't follow the VTA body rules to the letter so I'm thinking on getting my 78 TA bandit body painted to run. it's suppose to be a fun class so as long as it's not a truck or sedan body for the most part we let it run. someone was running a 66? impala in one of the club races and another kid ran a viper as that's his classic car. I know it looks cooler if you get the same era of cars but a classis sports car to a 15 yo is different then a 55yo and me personally I wasn't even born when the 1968 camero was made. so classic to me is when I was 10 and the late 70's early 80's sports cars.

he said nails....
Isnt that how you get your crew to show up? Call them a bunch of ladies and act like they are too weak to come and race. Cant afford gas to Nashville. Some other easily dismissable form of smack. Anyway Im glad you guys are relaxed about the shells. It should be fun after all.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Default CASHVILLE 500 ENDURO TEAM TRANS-AM MONEY RACE

OH BOY!...lets see where to start... Ive been trying to word this without taking 3 pages...lol..oh well...

First I would like to put the spotlight on the people that made this very very possible,

Robert Dirla for the use of Thunder Rc Raceway
Tim Moore for the AMB and donations to the track
Tommy at Slot Spot for his donation
Collin at HPI for his donation
Mark for calling the races
Mr. Gaines for the discount on the trophies
James and Henslo for taking the Saturday to tech for us
Snoopy for coming from GA to take pics and video
Donald for getting his friend to take some pics as well
Darryl Bingner for helping start this class to begin with
all the guest that stopped by to check it out, hope the bug bites hard

Now for the RACING!!!!!

We had expected 6-15 teams to show and did alot of prep to make sure we had space and time to put on one of the BEST "SPECIAL" races ever. We knew that with all races you dont know who is coming or not until the day of or in this case, last chance qualifiers..lol We got 8 teams...

TEAM T.O.P.-HPI 67 VETTE
Justin Lyons
Cliffton Dodds
Quinton Robbins

TEAM ABM-HPI 68 CAMARO
Robert Dirla
Brad Norris
Darryl Bingner

TEAM DARK MONEY-HPI 68 CAMARO
Donald Martin
Myron Kinnard
Dan Reino

TEAM AMBUSH-HPI 70 CUDA
Rick Hess
Brandon Black
Joe Marshall

TEAM BREAD CREW-HPI MIX
Cornbread
Eddie
Hayden

TEAM HOBBY LOBBY-HPI 67 VETTE
Robert Harrington
Neal Davis
Bobby Mills

TEAM SMOKEY AND THE BANDITS-HPI 68 CAMARO
Jesse Carnell
Joe Murphy
Ben W.

TEAM LAST MINUTE-HPI MIX
Jackie Woodard
Brad Dyer
marshall

we started off drawing numbers to assign pit spaces. First in the door got to pick 1st. That didnt mean it made your pit space closer to pit row.
Once that was taking care of, it was time to do some qualifing. Each team member got set into a heat to see the best average for the team. The qual was a one time deal to see what spot on the stand and marshall and pit-row spot your team would get. Having a member not to finish was a sure way to end up at the bottom of the list...

after some great heats ..Team ABM finished in the TQ spot which gave them choice on the stand..this also gave them the #1 spot for marshalling and pit-row...2nd -8th took turns picking as well....

Next we took some time for pics and the all important concourse contest that was judged by our volunteer techs...all the team cars looked great but it was Team Hobby Lobby that took home the three 1st place trophies ...Great Job on those Vettes guys

The start had one speed bump..after the first 8 members took positions for the Le-mans start....the horn sounded and we were off to the 2.4hr enduro..or so we thought. About 7 mins in the system stopped counting. We then realized we had to change it into a lap race....500 sounds good..this got ppl even more excited. so after a quick vote we started back up...and let it all hang out for 500 magical laps....cant give a real play-by-play due to so much going on....but I can say that it was anybodies race to win. With lead changes all over and position spots changing it was a true team effort to get all the laps you could get.

for all the cars on the track the driving and racing was very clean, no penalties were given to any teams and no complaints.

here are some numbers....
23 total drivers
I drove 28mins on one SMC 4000 28c pack..at one time(no pit)
3 lead changes
several position changes
Dark Money held the lead for aprox. 45mins
7 out of the 8 teams finished
$500 dollars was paid out to the teams..CASH!!
1 lap separated 1st and 2nd
Thunder lead 5 different times for a total of 154 leading laps
T.O.P. stayed in the top 3 the entire 500 laps except once

I hope everyone really enjoyed themselves on this special event. I hope ppl talk about the race for months to come. I hope it sparked more intrest in the on-road scene and gives new drivers a chance to really have some hobby fun.

thank you all for attending this child hood dream of a race for me..it really made me feel good. And to those who missed it...lets just say the talk around the water cooler is buuzzzing something in the very near future.....

Cya for the largest Trans-am race in the country...THE MUSIC CITY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!....COME GET SOME

Myron"BATTMAN"Kinnard
Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
First I would like to put the spotlight on the people that made this very very possible.
You need to include yourself in that list. You know I think it went very well. As far as I know this has never been done before and there was nothing like it to model it after. The fact that you guys had to rearrange the track layout, I mean who has to have a pit row for electric indoor racing? The volunteer for tech and the layout for the rules and how to pit and tag. What to do if you damage a car, and how to change who is marshalling. All of that stuff is not easy to figure out and as far as Im concearned, you and Dirla had to pioneer that stuff. I am way impressed. I may come back up and give you guys something to dodge every few laps.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

I had alot of time to think about how I wanted this event to go off...I have never done an enduro before and was looking to make it a totally different racing experience....the layout was very well thought out and rules was as fair as I could come with...Ive got a notebook full of rough drafts..lol..

but Dirla has been into r/c longer than Ive been alive..lol..and he really knows his stuff...,every idea I brought to him he gave my a honest answer of what will and will not work...he was very helpful......

ppl around here know I come up with some crazy stuff for racing..it even has a nick-name.."Myron's Stupid Race"..its even in the cpu that way... its just nice to see one come off like I saw it in my head...

and with more ideas dancing around as well as sparking some more ppl to come up with some more "MSR"..it will be interesting to see...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cliferton
just wanna clear one thing up. We are not from memphis. Jason Lutz was the only Memphis guy there and he was not in the race.

Team T.O.P. was clif dodd and Justin Lyons from jackson TN, and Quinton Robbins from Jonesboro AR. wee looked pretty rough after all that racing or maybe i'm just that fugly

OH it was an awsome exerience. Everything was well planned and executed. The only thing it lacked was Hot chicks taking around water to all the marshels. Yea Thunder really dropped the ball on that one. Guess that gives us something to look forward to for next year. It was a very close race all the way through. In our planning meeting the night before we had mentioned that there was going to be some close races, but WOW that was really close. everyone did a great job from the host venue to all the racers that put down. You really had to be there to see how smooth everything really went. Tech was awsome. The process was really smooth and well executed. The man on the mic was great also. I bet he didn't say a word the next day.

THANK YOU BATMAN AND NASH AND EVERYONE WHO DID THIS RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team T.O.P. can not wait to come back next year to defend out three CROWNS!!!! wink wink
congrats to your team on the win and representing an awesome car in a great class! Now... how about those setup sheets? I've been doing a lot of tuning and tweaking for VTA lately and wondering if you have come up with a similar setup...
Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
I experimented w/ my gtb... Kinda depends on what you need but I wanted more punch/acceration. I had the motor timing up/maxxed but for better punch have put it back to 0* and up the Min. Drive % setting at 5 or what ever is the highest/max setting. you definitely want to top out the gear before the end of the straight, maybe 3/4ths of the straight if the rest of the infield is tight. I'd start w/ 0* on timing, max out the min drive setting then work on finding the optimal gearing. More timing will get you more rpms but could cost you some low end rip. the min. drive will help some, it's noticable but nothing major. hope that helps you.
All set. Min brake is maxed, no drag brake for now, Left dead band alone at 4, Min drive is 5 (12%), Lipo cutoff is active. Its something to play with anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
ppl around here know I come up with some crazy stuff for racing..it even has a nick-name.."Myron's Stupid Race"..its even in the cpu that way... its just nice to see one come off like I saw it in my head...

and with more ideas dancing around as well as sparking some more ppl to come up with some more "MSR"..it will be interesting to see...
Heres to calling the first MSR 500 a success.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Darkside(dont know your real name sorry),

From the pics it looks like everyone had a GREAT time for the enduro... And dont let everyone take all the credit, you busted your arse to advertise all over this site!!!! as-well-as did alot of work at the track I'm sure... Any chance this may become a yearly thing for you guys? Like the same month every year... Or heck even twice a year? I know I was doing some practicing today with a fellow VTA racer and we both would like to do it if the time ever arises again.... I personally think if you guys make it like a yearly thing it will only get bigger and bigger turn outs.. I know if you guys do one next year I will be in it!!!

Alex
Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

OK batman i think your crown blurred your mind and got a littel carried away with your results .
dark money lead 80 of the first 112 laps and never led again the entire race.
you had first thru lap 42 the slipped to second and didnt get teh lead back till lap 66. on lip 112 we took over and ran in first for the next 100+ swapping it back and forth with team thunder untill the last laps.
guys this race proved that fast laps dont win. but the consistant safe laps do . we ran defensive the entire race. and still pulled some 14.5 sec laps me and Q both were on our game ,even cliff was AWESOME he made a major improvement that day.he even ran a 15.8 in the race.
we were the first to run into the 20min mark strait out of the gait. i ran the first 22min (which was done with a TP4300 25c) with no loss of lap time , well maby .4. this is what put us up front by lap 112 consistant careful racin.
we never dropped out of 1,2 except for a few laps in 3place a time or two.
cant run a indurance race like it is a 8min main layin down laps @ 14.3 every othe rlap that person was in the wall , because he isnt respecting others lines ,tring to push to the front. that kind of driving only worked for Dirla in the last mins of the race dring to ret his 3 laps on cliff,(just about did)
i on the other hand slowen down to make sure i didnt break in the final laps
but their was no way fast laps were goin got bring a driver back from a 14lap deff.
all in all had a great time and hope we can do it again , it was awesome thanks batman and thunder.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
Darkside(dont know your real name sorry),

From the pics it looks like everyone had a GREAT time for the enduro... And dont let everyone take all the credit, you busted your arse to advertise all over this site!!!! as-well-as did alot of work at the track I'm sure... Any chance this may become a yearly thing for you guys? Like the same month every year... Or heck even twice a year? I know I was doing some practicing today with a fellow VTA racer and we both would like to do it if the time ever arises again.... I personally think if you guys make it like a yearly thing it will only get bigger and bigger turn outs.. I know if you guys do one next year I will be in it!!!

Alex
I'm hopeful it will be at least once a year... but if it gets bigger it may need to be a 2 day deal. Only so much room on the drivers stand & track..so we have to have some qualifiers and eliminate down to 10 teams. ..I think 10 teams was our limit space wise. my 2¢ but all up to Dirla...he owns the rug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.