Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
mabe your driving is phenominal.... but in a speed race i garuntee the 1.1 wont out run the top speedos on the market....

Alex
I dont know i used the SP 1.1 ESC to qualify Second at the USVTA Nationals in March. And still use the same speedo today and its not speed that my car is lacking so I dont really buy what you are saying.

Its only speedo of the month when you make it speedo of the month. If you are sitting there thinking that you need a new speedo to compete then you have already lost. Its going to always come down to car set-up and driver PERIOD!!! "That" speedo is not whats going to keep you from being marshaled 3 times a race.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

with out someone looking at every car at every race people are going to push the rules and make it sound like it you fault that you can't keep up when your car is set up within the rules, with that said the only way to make a even race is for us as racers to police this stuff our self's and not make some much about winning and more about having fun
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
"That" speedo is not whats going to keep you from being marshaled 3 times a race.

3... On a good day.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

alot of great points are being made, but let me say this...

1. older chassis are just as good if not better...my TC3 is still my car of choice over my brand new TC5R with SPX,9551 servo,micro rx and SMC 4000 28c battery and 21.5...Ive seen cars older than mine still hang with the latest chassis..incl Corrally,Xray,Tamiya and Shum?????...and AE as well....I will race my TC3 against any chassis any day

2. speedo will not become a factor unless ppl feel they goto win...the advance timming will make a difference on the straight...especially a long one. if a tight layout is used, it wont be as noticable. run whatever makes you feel like laughing it up on the drivers stand...yes this is racing.. but have some fun too....

3. running 21.5/lipo option is fast...but a well tuned 27t is unmatched in power...most ppl are only using 21.5's cause of ease of maintance..its the direction of all rc racing...from planes to 8th scale off-road...maintanace free racing is the future of the hobby....if you choice to use 27t/4cell...just remember to keep them in "TIP TOP" condition...that levels it back out to an even playing field again...

4. keep everything as even as possible...if you have a guy running a 009'.. make him eat it..I did..lol...but let your locals know that any chassis will work..you dont have the latest greatest to win....

I have a ready to run TC3 with rpm ball cups,threaded shocks, Novak GTX, Spectrum servo, used 27t motors,Spectrum RX..and rpm bumper..amd it still wins more than that high dollar TC5 with all the latest,greatest stuff on it..her is a pic..enjoy
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-4-sale-027.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-usvta-nationals-2009-044.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...brand-new.html
Old 08-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
I am confused. My local track said that you can use ANY 21.5 motor. Here you guys are saying the NOVAK 21.5 is still the spec motor.
I hope not, when I started at Mimi's it was the Novak motor. If they change it, I won't be back this winter.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
DARKSIDE - Thanks for the ideas. As a person who was considering racing TA. I watched the cars from the first couple of years running 4 cell stock and it was close interesting racing. It was less expensive because one of the ways they were promoting it was to use an older chassis you might have sitting around. So, except for the tires and wheels it was a budget class. Now, I watch guys running the 21.5 with lipos flying around at TC speeds and with high end chassis. So, as an outside observer I see it just like a TC class with certain tires and bodies. That's great if that's what the majority wants. And in our area I think most people are happy. As for me I'm on a tight budget and I'll running in less expensive classes.

Having just started back into the hobby, Lipo and 21.5 is the cheaper way to go.

By the time you add all the equipment to keep a brushed motor and NiMH batteries in racing condition, it costs more than one lipo and a 21.5 novak.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin K
"That" speedo is not whats going to keep you from being marshaled 3 times a race.
This is golden. You know I see racers spend loads of time with the set up board and I see people fret over which ESC is the best or do they have enough battery. But if a turn marshal has to tend to you one time, just one time, then you would have been better off to work on your driving.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

very true...

Alex
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Having just started back into the hobby, Lipo and 21.5 is the cheaper way to go.

By the time you add all the equipment to keep a brushed motor and NiMH batteries in racing condition, it costs more than one lipo and a 21.5 novak.
ditto
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Ditto.

Sliding 20 feet on your lid is definitely the slow way around the track.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
This is golden. You know I see racers spend loads of time with the set up board and I see people fret over which ESC is the best or do they have enough battery. But if a turn marshal has to tend to you one time, just one time, then you would have been better off to work on your driving.
this is where the problem is a lot of us not fast guys are trying to learn how to drive and set-up cars in this "slower class" to only be ran over by cars going twice as fast as us. it is almost impossible to get out of the way without causing a faster cars to hit you or you to hit them.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by toomany
this is where the problem is a lot of us not fast guys are trying to learn how to drive and set-up cars in this "slower class" to only be ran over by cars going twice as fast as us. it is almost impossible to get out of the way without causing a faster cars to hit you or you to hit them.
if your fast guys are that much faster..and you dont have enough for a sportsman class....just ask them to turn the radio down some..Ive done it several times just to keep the laps close and fun...if they feel that a win is a must, they are missing the point of the class to start with....

Championships, point series , and such are different ball game ...but reg club racing is the goal....
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
if your fast guys are that much faster..and you dont have enough for a sportsman class...
.just ask them to turn the radio down some..Ive done it several times just to keep the laps close and fun...if they feel that a win is a must, they are missing the point of the class to start with....
Championships, point series , and such are different ball game ...but reg club racing is the goal....
Good luck with that, some guys are ready to throw down because of you getting in their way. Alot of the time they are only racing themselfes no one else even close to them. Lap traffic is part of racing if I am racing for any place I am not going to break my line to let them go by I shouldn't have to if they are that great and fast drive arround me in a spot that is big enough to pass like the straight. I don't see why people get so worked up over it.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
I hope not, when I started at Mimi's it was the Novak motor. If they change it, I won't be back this winter.
Originally Posted by HarryN
I am confused. My local track said that you can use ANY 21.5 motor. Here you guys are saying the NOVAK 21.5 is still the spec motor.
I know Mimi's was Novak motor ONLY the last time I was down there (Trans Am Shoot-out) and I even know they MADE a couple drivers that came in BUY the Novak motor

I would be highly disappointed if Mimi switched the rules as well - and I probably wouldn't be back this year from any big TA racers...

Harry - I think you need to talk to Vicko or Arvin, I believe THEY were the 'moderators' of the TA class...

I do know if you happen to come north to NJ to run TA at anything BIG Ray Murray puts together, it will be NOVAK-only! and I'm the controller of the class (aka, mr. jerk )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.