U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racinrc14
Hey litluv (Paul),

It was nice meeting you today and getting a face for the sig. Sorry about the carnage in the main, it was a rough one. You should have ran the 'Cuda...........

Tommy
everything go well on the trip ?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

59 out of 60 (available spots) pre-registered race entries already for the USVTA Nats in April in Illinois! Not a bad count for a just over a week of pre-registration.

This is going to be a fantastic race, guys... don't wait to pre-register, either.

There is a 'Nats thread in the Regional forums, too.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Whelp, we just got the 60th pre-registered racer for the event in APRIL, which frankly is surprising all of us (in a good way).

I spoke to Eric Whiteside, the owner of The Track at Harbor Hobbies, and he will be adding more new pit space to accommodate added entries for the Nats. We are officially upping the entry cap for another 12 racers to make a total of 72 Trans Am cars!

So if you haven't gotten in your pre-registration information, please do so now, because once these are filled, I don't see more pit space materializing at the Track.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey litluv (Paul),

It was nice meeting you today and getting a face for the sig. Sorry about the carnage in the main, it was a rough one. You should have ran the 'Cuda...........

Tommy
Hey Tommy,

It was nice to meet you also. Until I read this, I had forgotten that you were coming in from IL. Sunday, I was thinking you were local. I forget, how long are you going to be in town and were are you at? I gave the 'Cuda to one of the kids, actually the little one with the trashed orange/Black 'Cuda. I figured he needed it more then me and he really liked it anyway, so I asked his dad (Melvin) if I could give it to him and he said yea, so I did. I will probably be back up there 16th. I'll pm you my cell # later, after work.
Paul
Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Customworksking
everything go well on the trip ?
Yeah, everythng went as planned. She is under lock and key at my brothers house. I may drive home some time in May, I'll bring her home then if you like. My brother was happy to get the 'Shee back. I would hope so, considering what I spent on that pyle! If you can, you should make a trip out here to race on some of these tracks. The indoor asphalt at Frederick is sick. More traction than most carpet tracks, with half the maintenance. I'll try to snap some pics next time I'm there. Thanks again, I owe you big........

-Tommy
Old 03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by litsluv
Hey Tommy,

It was nice to meet you also. Until I read this, I had forgotten that you were coming in from IL. Sunday, I was thinking you were local. I forget, how long are you going to be in town and were are you at? I gave the 'Cuda to one of the kids, actually the little one with the trashed orange/Black 'Cuda. I figured he needed it more then me and he really liked it anyway, so I asked his dad (Melvin) if I could give it to him and he said yea, so I did. I will probably be back up there 16th. I'll pm you my cell # later, after work.
Paul

Yeah, Paul. I'll be out here (aberdeen) until late June or early July. That's cool you gave the 'Cuda to the kid. I'll probably be there on the 16th as well, see you then.

-Tommy
Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default body

it was hard not to do it up like my other bodies...1/2 done btw
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dscf0903.jpg  
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

Yeah, everythng went as planned. She is under lock and key at my brothers house. I may drive home some time in May, I'll bring her home then if you like. My brother was happy to get the 'Shee back. I would hope so, considering what I spent on that pyle! If you can, you should make a trip out here to race on some of these tracks. The indoor asphalt at Frederick is sick. More traction than most carpet tracks, with half the maintenance. I'll try to snap some pics next time I'm there. Thanks again, I owe you big........

-Tommy
Thomas when are you coming back up HTUSA for some T/A racing I got a different car should be better now ! When we spray WD40 on it we get even more traction ! Are you going to be a Mimi's Sunday this week , I gots to work Saturday ! How many were their at Mimis this past Sunday ! .
Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KAHUNA
Thomas when are you coming back up HTUSA for some T/A racing I got a different car should be better now ! When we spray WD40 on it we get even more traction ! Are you going to be a Mimi's Sunday this week , I gots to work Saturday ! How many were their at Mimis this past Sunday ! .
Kahuna,

If I rememeber correctly there were 21 T/A's and 1 mini there on Sunday and some of the regulars, for T/A, were missing. Also there are supposec to be more this week. I won't be there though, I'll be back on the 16th.

Paul
Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Had a thought about TA racing. It seems the best way to drive on many tracks with a TA car is obviously with the trigger mashed all the way down. I let up a little bit to get through turns. Not having the oompfh to accelerate out of turns it's usually wiser to go wide and try and keep as much speed up as possible. It seems I need as much momentum as possible. Keep the car rolling at all times....no braking.

What would happen if I made my car heavier and geared it accordingly? Would the extra weight be helpful to carry the car faster through turns in the infield? I'd assume there's some sweet spot of proper weight and gearing that might give me lower lap times by allowing me to go wide and keep the speed up.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Kenji....The way we think of it is like driving a go kart keep the speed up....fat men don’t do well in most go karts so I would still think that a lighter car would be faster. Hence the reason for weight penalties to slow the cars down. The only time a heavier car might work is going down a long hill....lighter is always faster.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

The simple answer is heavier race cars are rarely the way to go.

If it were the case, real spec race cars (that are momentum based) like Formula Ford, Formula Continental, Spec Racer Ford or even race karts would all have advantages for heavy racers and cars. They don't.

In this class, you'll get killed from any point where the car needs to accelerate quickly, like the standing starts or after a crash. I think a heftier car has a bit of an advantage in contact, just because of pure physics, but it has few other areas where it is wanted.

I would tend to try to get the car as light as possible (1450g minimum), with any weight you have to add (or move) as low in the car as possible. At this point, our weight limit is about right in the middle of the cars we weighed, so there shouldn't need to be too much weight to trim for heavy cars and too much to add for lighter cars.

Only one way to prove it to yourself for sure, though... and that is to test your theory on the track in a race car.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Smile got er done

it's ok
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dscf0904.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dscf0905.jpg  
Old 03-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi All

Well Team Hippo racing got some much needed testing in this weekend here in Colorado (Thanks CORRC for the track time). Worked thru some spring issue with the camaro, the tires hooked up real well on the carpet. I think the jack the gripper that the reaguler racer use had some effect. The driver really need some more wheel time as evident from the front end damage, nothing a little duct tape won't fix.
Next the Cuda was on track, had major brake issues early on. Then steering issue that were fix rather quickly. Then a wiring issue popped up that prevented the use of 4 cell pack (LiPo cut off). The car work great with 3200 lipo made a spring change and all was well, the car handled the speed great The Mopar engine (CO27) is very strong. The driver did have some brushes with the wall, but nothing a hammer won't solve.
the mustang had the least troubles and just have to work thru some gearing issues with the Shelby motor (17.5 Novak). Did put a young driver in the seat but clearly the power was too much for the 7 year old and will need to send the car to the body shop also.
GM and Mopar have promised full factory support and additional performance parts are on the way for the Camaro and Cuda. All cars should be ready for heavy racing with CORRC first outdoor race April 20 @ Invesco field in Dever

Long Live Trans-Am

Rodney
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-mar4-08-006.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-mar4-08-007.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-mar4-08-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-mar4-08-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-mar4-08-004.jpg  

Last edited by TMHippo; 03-04-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

see some really cool vintage cars on this thread, thought I would put pics of my 1st race car up........ does not look like this after sat u are right this is a cool thread!!!! litsluv
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-101_0837-2-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-101_0838-2-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-101_0839-2-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-101_0843-2-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-101_0845-2-.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.