Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks for coming out PJ !! I think this will work out well and I'm glad your involved. Looking forward to next time and as I'm constantly saying......This time I'll actually get out there and run something instead of being the pit boss.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 'cuda body woes...

Boy, you guys are right about the cuda body having a thin front end...couldn't find a single one at my LHS that wasn't already crushed/creased. Nothing a few $$ at home depot for some fiberglass cloth and some bathroom adhesive caulk (unlike shoe-goo it's water clean up and even says KEVLAR on the tube, lol) and a strip of Gorilla tape on the air damn couldn't reinforce, but sadly the crease is gunna stay...

BTW-I'm no genuis, normal people just think I am...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

looking for gearing recomondation for xray 007 for 17.5 4cell to run on indoor asphalt roadcourse i would love any help you can give. thanks Randy
Old 03-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Forgive me in advance because I'm sure this question has been ask and answered but I Can't seem to find it while skimming through the 150+ pages of post on this thread.

How many runs is everyone getting on a set of the HPI tires when running on med-high bite asphalt?

Also has anyone had any problems with the tires coming off of the chrome wheels? I ran for the first time today and lost a front left tire. I first suspected I didn't get it glued good enough but upon further inspection I found it had actually pull the chrome plating loose from the plastic wheel.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

woowwwooweee!!!!!...alot goes on after a road trip...thanks Alabama....here is a simple solution to anybody wanting something more out of TRANS-AM......

IF YOU WANT ANYTHING DIFFERENT...BODIES,MOTORS,CHASSIS..ECT ...YOU HAVE 3 CHOICES

1. TRY IT LOCALLY AT YOUR TRACK FOR A SEASON AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

we tried alot of things..locally..incl any American Muscle Car..new and old..then just old school...motor options incl 17.5/lipo w/ FDR..and some other things..but if you expect to goto any USVTA events...you must run USVTA rules..or expect other racers to come to your track...try what you like locally and post your info on your home thread and see where it goes..you might have something that "FATHERS" of VTA might look at...then again you might end up going FULL VTA

2. RACE ANOTHER CLASS THAT FITS YOUR NEEDS

if you dont like the rules(I was guilty as well)..all you have to do is find another class to play in...beleive it or not..THIS IS THE BEST ON-ROAD CLASS IN R/C...it has generated the on-road scene in our area and beyond by leaps and bounds...Im a dirt guy thats sold out to TA...sorry dirt

3. GO PLAY GOLF

or whatever you do to get your kicks off...but as I have stated once(20+) times...quit posting "NEGATIVE" s@%&...you might run a prospect of VTA off with you whinnig and complaining....

Apex....you know what to do...
Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 88crewchief
Also has anyone had any problems with the tires coming off of the chrome wheels? I ran for the first time today and lost a front left tire. I first suspected I didn't get it glued good enough but upon further inspection I found it had actually pull the chrome plating loose from the plastic wheel.
Yes... get the plating off where you glue them. Of course you can't now... just keep re-gluing them now.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

I agree with Darkside's last post. There's no need to change the official stance of the USVTA at this time.
Even though the idea of doing a GTU class has been looming for a while. It seems like the release of an HPI mini TC has put a new urgency on the idea and it's just not something that has to be figured out today.
I think it should be the burden of local clubs to figure out how well the Clubracer fits into vta. It's just to early to build an official rule set. (mho) This can all be done later.

As for new bodies I think we have established that if a new shell were made that represented something that actually ran in the class and years that VTA races are modeled after, then it would be considered for the legal bodies list. This includes cars which are not currently represented in lexan like the notchback Mustang, and the Javelin, and cars that are not represented well, like the 70 Mustang and Camaro.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

I asked over on another thread and got some info on FDR but need just a little
Where can I get info from the manufactures on the cars internal roll out
Also how do I figure the FDR
They posted Losi JRXS as ir of 1.83 now how do I get the FDR for the 21.5 class
Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by promatchracer
I asked over on another thread and got some info on FDR but need just a little
Where can I get info from the manufactures on the cars internal roll out
Also how do I figure the FDR
They posted Losi JRXS as ir of 1.83 now how do I get the FDR for the 21.5 class
Thanks
Spur/pinion * internal ratio = FDR

Outer pulley/center pulley = Internal ratio
Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

OK I got it now
Thanks I just didn't realize what to ask earlier and with the info I got before I figured out what to exactly ask
Maybe I will have a few up and running for demo next race

If anybody has any used bodies I can get off them LMK I can use them for the TC3 and the JRXS Just PM me

Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
s.

Politically, let's see.

We were in a recession coupled with high inflation...the president enacted price freezes as an attempt to mitigate inflation.
You left out halter tops, hot pants, and it was very popular in 1974, for girls not to wear brassieres.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Spur/pinion * internal ratio = FDR
This would really be expressed as (spur/pinion)*internal ratio = FDR . In the given example the order of operations takes care of itself, but this would not necessarily always be the case (one could commutatively change to internal ratio * spur/pinion which would yield an incorrect answer) so a couple parens ("grouping symbols") never hurt anybody and yield the correct answer regardless the order taken.

Now, to make this formula a bit more useful for you, lets segregate the unknown variable (probably pinion) rather than a known variable (in this case, FDR). I'm assuming you know what spur you have, you know your internal ratio, and you know the FDR you are targeting (4.2), thus the unknown variable (as it usually is) is what pinion size you need.

Multiplying both sides by pinion gives us:

spur * internal ratio = FDR * pinion

Then dividing both sides by FDR yields:

(spur * internal ratio) / FDR = pinion

Thus solving for the unknown in the equation.

Using my TC5 as example which has an internal ratio of 2.0 and mine has a 108T spur (64p gears).

(108 * 2.0) / 4.2 = 51.42t pinion to give a FDR of 4.2

An IMPORTANT consideration is that in these cases you MUST round down or you have exceeded the allowable roll-out. Yes it's a comparatively small amount, but the simple fact is it would technically be cheating. Round down, then there's NO doubt. So I install a 51t pinion for an FDR of 4.24.

Or my TC3's (which sounds like you've got one). The internal ratio is 2.5, my cars have 100T spur and we're still shooting at a 4.2 FDR

(100 * 2.5) / 4.2 = 59.52t pinion.

Again, you'd need to round down, but in this case it is pointless...that gear combo won't fit in a TC3. If I were running 21.5 option I'd need to install a significantly smaller spur gear to make this work. In fact in the (iir) VTA tuning thread there is a fellow who posted some pics of the Dremel work and gear combos needed to get a TC3 to the 4.2 FDR. BUT...the fact remains that the equation is more useful in most cases expressed in this slightly re-oriented fashion.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

thats very helpful...Ive been playing around with my FDR since I got the TC5

thanks for the info
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Yeah...now let's play "spot the math teacher". Happy to help!

I LOVE to trot this stuff out for kids when they're giving the old whine "when do you ever actually use this stuff". Not only do I have examples where people use it for "work"...I've got a hobby that most of 'em think is pretty cool (seventh and eighth graders are too young to be jaded yet) and I can show 'em ALL kinds of math that's appropriate (rollout, FDR, gear ratios, calculations re: voltage and amps and watts and kv I'm doing to prove 380 motors as appropriate for 1/12 racing, etc). I even solved a ramp problem for our club (we need to buy or construct a ramp for wheelchair access to the stage we use once each year) a couple weeks ago with some elementary trigonometry (remember sine cosine tangent arcsine arccosine arctangent?) to find the departure angle from the floor (still not ADA-spec, but we'd need 60' of ramp to climb 6' to satisfy them...no math on EARTH will make THAT fit).
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am sure this is old news (it was posted on the drift r/c site I frequent), but I use this site all the time (I have four different chassis and never can remember the internal drive ratios):

http://www.gearchart.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.