Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

IIR that shallow "hollowing" of the pinion shaft is on the non-sintered and "spec legal" sintered rotors to make them readily identifiable for tech and that the non-spec (larger diameter) rotors don't have that "hollowing". Don't recall where I'd read that, but it seems to me that's what the story was.

As far as TRUE tech (and we sure don't get this tied up about it) it is comparatively easy to use a inductance meter. Novak HAD a very informative dealio about this on their site but now it shows "coming soon".
Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

WOW!! ask a question and get the TOP DRIVERS to answer.. good stuff.

I had to ask because, of the race coming up in Feb. and teching motors for VTA needs to be implemented.

I guess the racer was wrong if the 17.5 is also "hollow" pinion shaft.

thanks for the responses!!!

See ya this month!!

Arv.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Guys,

On the NOVAK Motors (SS Pro) ie: 21.5 and 17.5's for this application...

The STANDARD 'Sintered' rotor has the slightly hollow end. This is the Standard (NON TUNING) sintered rotor.

I believe the TUNING (larger rotor) that is not legal for SPEC applications has two grooves in the shaft just outside the can for I.D. purposes.

The 21.5 and 17.5 motors were built originally for our series, and we didn't know what kind of OTHER uses they would get, so we weren't concerned about the COLOR rings on the back like the 13.5s had gone to. However, they have both caught on widely in MANY types of racing now...so I.D. has become needed.

These motors were also ONLY available in the SS PRO version W/ Sintered Rotors. (we didn't feel there would be a need for a NON PRO version to dilute and confuse consumers.)
Old 02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

ok cool, the 21.5ss pro does have a hollow pinions shaft.

i dont have a 17.5 to see the ID markings... i just wanted to find a way to check motors without teardowns, if we can avoid it..

thanks everyone!!

Arv.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

and to think no one got video of my first 2 qualifiers at snowbirds
Old 02-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Wouldnt the only gain with the bigger rotor at the same FDR be lower Temps? With that being said wouldnt it be better to just tech FDR?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

my question was to "TECH" motors visually without teardowns, and of course tech FDR also....
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCFREAK
my question was to "TECH" motors visually without teardowns, and of course tech FDR also....
I wasnt questioning what you had posted but rather asking wouldnt the only gain w/the bigger rotor be lower temps at the same FDR? I was actually agreeing w/ you and asking a question at the same time.....
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

will we see any updates on the upcoming events section on the USVTA web page?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RugRunner
Wouldnt the only gain with the bigger rotor at the same FDR be lower Temps? With that being said wouldnt it be better to just tech FDR?
Thats a good point.....I dont see anyother possible advantge either...
Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

understood...
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Thats a good point.....I dont see anyother possible advantge either...
Bigger Rotor would provide more torque. That would allow more punch out of the corners and mean that you could be more forgiving with freeing the car up and could also drive a much tighter line with-out bogging the motor down.

I've been thinking about an easy FDR check. With all the interchanging of pulleys checking the gearing and "knowing" the stock drive ratio doesn't work. I think a small paint mark on the spur and roll the car 1 revolution of the spur ie: 1 motor rev. The car if legal should roll a predetermined distance or less. Quick and easy.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

One revolution of the spur isn't 1 motor rev. One rev of the pinion is.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reenmachine
One revolution of the spur isn't 1 motor rev. One rev of the pinion is.
Correct, BUT one revolution of the spur compared to how much of a revolution the tire makes will give a rough idea of the diff ratio. Then multiply that by the spur/pinion ratio for an approximation of FDR. Probably easier to push one full revolution of the tire and check how many revolutions the spur makes. The TC5 should do 2 revs, the TC3-4 should do 2-1/2, etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Wow, I didn't expect that type of FUD from you, Scott. Have you ever seen this flaming geyser outside of YouTube? Fact is, it doesn't happen from over charging these packs. The next ROAR-approved LiPo fireshow I hear about will be the first.
btw Doug...was visiting with a friend who just returned from Snowbirds. There were THREE LiPo fires there (and a close call during the endurance race with someone cooling a motor with canned "air" duster and a spark plugging in the battery--imagine a 3 foot diameter fireball centered on the car. But that's another story...).

One of the battery fires took out the guy's car, laptop, and some other stuff. I bet HE wishes he'd dropped $25 on a LiPo sack!

So yes, FUD indeed. Right? Maybe time to re-evaluate those "facts"? I'm pretty certain the 'birds require ROAR-approved LiPos.

I concede (and did long ago) that LiPo is here to stay, but taking minimally invasive safety precautions is only being smart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.