Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
If you are willing to put in the time, work and money, it has proven out that the 27t motor with 4-cell NiMh is the quickest option. I didn't say for everyone. With the best motors and batteries, lots of regular maintenance and tuning, they have shown to be faster just about everywhere. The reality is, at this point, few are willing to spend the time or money on a Trans Am car or even wants to deal with the maintenance issues to even deal with old technology anymore, when the 21.5/LiPo option is a brainless drop-in and go solution.

The second fastest option by a close margin is the 21.5/LiPo, and when a majority are running this formula, the difference between a run-of-the-mill 27t and some old round cells is HUGE.
Keep in mind it has to be either a new 27t or a fresh comm cut, fresh zapped motor good seated brushes for this to be true. The real reason lipo is so popular is the performance/maintenance ratio.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Keep in mind it has to be either a new 27t or a fresh comm cut, fresh zapped motor good seated brushes for this to be true. The real reason lipo is so popular is the performance/maintenance ratio.
not entirely true...the last time I ran 27t/4cell, I ran with 2 year old EP4200 cells and a CO27 that was freshly built and I easily hung with the 21.5/lipo guys

The big thing is the motor needs to be maintained - comm cleaned/cut and brushes replaced...the zapping of the motor isn't fully necessary

I'm still not sure WHY I went and tried the 17.5 option I think that is a HUGE disadvantage
Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Tried the 17.5 option yesterday as the local shop was out of 21.5 's.
I think my stock TT 01 with Orion 2400 lipo would have been faster.
But dang it sure looks good on the track.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steve crane
Tried the 17.5 option yesterday as the local shop was out of 21.5 's.
I think my stock TT 01 with Orion 2400 lipo would have been faster.
But dang it sure looks good on the track.
what FDR did you run?? i had to run down to a 3.0 - 3.2 starting to get the rip.. one time i was down to a 2.9, and it was blazing... just funny that the pinion was almost as big as the spur..
Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

i ran @ a track this past weekend that used some other rules something like pro stock ta anyways they had 17.5 with lipo running a ? FDR it was low enought to pull hard out of the corners but to only run slightly faster down the strait compaired to a fresh VTA 21.5/lipo car
another fast guy had a 27t burshed /lipo with a HIGH fdr but wonce again it puller hard out of the corners
all in alll their cars were ablut .4 sec faster per lap than a true vta car and i can drive very well not the best but better
only thing they do is in the 17.5,brushed/lipo cars the weight is 1533g but that only makes that car heep from flipiong over in the sweeper (unlike mine which flipped several times and i tried almost everything to fix it )
anyways i wish everyone would get on the same level and just drive
i race in 6 different tracks and 5 of them run the VTA rules but the other is by far the biggest /funnest layout for intoor carpet (92x50) and nice people to run with just hate droping a 17.5 in to keep up
Old 01-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
ha ha, you weren't the only one though. I wasnt going to use names. LOL. But the track owner is one of the others that wants the faster motors. He does run it like a club though so we will get to vote. He is influential though and on paper I can see some of the points for the faster motors which was the reason for me asking. Sounds like it has been tried unsuccessfully in the past though.

the fun of these cars is getting the most of the car and driver with slower speeds. I would go with the 21.5 lipo regardless of the track size, it will be a blast, you are hard pressed to break parts, and there will be plenty of people that want to run faster, and if so join that class. usvta should be usvta. Please when you run it on the outdoor track, run the same rules as carpet. I agree they will be sllloooowwww, but that is the point. if you want faster, run 13.5 or 10.5
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I can tell you that they guy that ran the fastest laps with the 27T didn't have a comm lathe and the motor never came out of the car all day.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

One thing to remember, did the car make weight(1450 grams)?
Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova
One thing to remember, did the car make weight(1450 grams)?
Dave
True...good point. But I've gotta believe it did -- TC4's (and TC3's) are heavy.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well I finally made to a race- yikes how the heck do you all drive with one-ways on carpet

I see even at these speeds, I have a long way to go to get my car set up.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What size/weight of springs should I install in my T/A?? I'm running with a HPI Sprint 2 flux.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
i ran @ a track this past weekend that used some other rules something like pro stock ta anyways they had 17.5 with lipo running a ? FDR it was low enought to pull hard out of the corners but to only run slightly faster down the strait compaired to a fresh VTA 21.5/lipo car
another fast guy had a 27t burshed /lipo with a HIGH fdr but wonce again it puller hard out of the corners
all in alll their cars were ablut .4 sec faster per lap than a true vta car and i can drive very well not the best but better
only thing they do is in the 17.5,brushed/lipo cars the weight is 1533g but that only makes that car heep from flipiong over in the sweeper (unlike mine which flipped several times and i tried almost everything to fix it )
i race in 6 different tracks and 5 of them run the VTA rules but the other is by far the biggest /funnest layout for intoor carpet (92x50) and nice people to run with just hate droping a 17.5 in to keep up

thanks for the positive post....glad you and the guys made it up and hope to see ya for the THUNDER JAM CHAMPIOSHIP.....Jan 18th

the "FDR" setup came about with the different driving experience....the true vta cars drive and feel different than tc or rubber stock...so our race director came up with a fomula that keeps us "PREETY" even with a true VTA car...and in the right hands the VTA car is faster on 27t/4cell than our 17.5/27t/lipo....the deal was that the word "STOCK" motor was 17.5/27t...so when the class popped up we all raced to jump aboard...and when the rules changed a little bit we made the adjustment...point is you dont ask 20-40 guys that have the 17.5/27t/lipo to go buy 21.5's and or 4 cell packs....

bottom line this class is the BEST thing that could have happen to on-road rc..and maybe rc period....and as I posted earlier with the Novak Havok 21.5 coming out...more of us are going to that combo....anyone that isnt already running brushless...Im pushing them to buy that system..we have several guys using 21.5 and you would never know it....$150 bucks...jump in the water is fine.....

ps...STOP ALL THE WHINNING ON THE FORUM....PPL READ THIS DAILY..PUT YOUR TA CAR TOGETHER WITH WHAT YOU HAVE AND RACE....

thanks again to the Fathers of TA
Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio

glad you guys came out! You out we had some great racing though my old body kept tucking under the front tire in the main. I'm pretty sure we'll be going to offical rules after the winter season...what ever we do I'm going to 21.5 shortly so I'll be offically running the offical rules. lol.

You guys coming back up for the 18th?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

i had a great time also i understand the hole point of running your ruiles that is awesome to set stared into it you and the other guy with the TC3 were fast and did some very clean laps wish your body wosnt acting up i would liked to run with you some more i think if i wasnt having to be so easy around the sweaper i might have been closer to miron he is fast also
i hope to bring a top notch driver with us next time (Melvin from NEXIS) who needs practice for the birds so maby with a different layout we (4+) can run in a tight pack with the mixture of true VTA and PTA melvin is deadon accureate on his track and always laps everyone 1+ times every heat
Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Myron aka Darkside aka Battman aka MCC Champ aka Mr. TA is very excited about racing any and everybody...welcome to the best form of rc racing in the country today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.