Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
When are you guys changing the 21.5 novak motor rule? Lol
X2 most motor manufacturers that I am aware of are making their 21.5 motors to the same specs as their 13.5 and 17.5 roar legal counter parts case and point are the speedpassion 21.5 motors
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
Yes it is.... yet it aint happened. the car passes all tech rules (wieght, gearing)...

I guess I'll go buy a brushless $ystem to keep up w/ the Jone's....which IMO is not in the spirit of an the class/'even field' but it's legal and I don't think I'll get smacked from behind for it. thanks for all the help and feedback. lol.
So you're ready to go out and buy tire warmers but you think it's silly to buy a new motor?

That said, let's get some facts so we can help. What chassis/motor/battery are you using, and what chassis/motor/battery is the "#1" guy running? Also, how big is the track(approx. length x width), is it indoor/outdoor, and is it asphalt or carpet. Let get it straightend out instead of going back and forth talking about "spirit" vs rules.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To add to the lipo not in a sack...

Last year at a major Utah Indoor Champs race somebody charged their battery in their car, a fire occured, and said car was a molten pile of junk afterwards.

Our park, is also a flying field. We've witnessed multiple fires from name brand cells. Luckily, nobody or any property has ever been damaged. However, once a plane crash did cause a lipo fire which started a small brush fire.

They happen in real life, not just on youtube! Lipo sacks are cheap insurance.

Paul
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Then it's up to your race director to slow him down, either through gearing or weight. That's part of this class, too.
Yes it is.... yet it aint happened. the car passes all tech rules (wieght, gearing)...
It's too bad the race director doesn't step in, or the racer himself voluntarily slows the car down. That said...IS HIS CAR REALLY FASTER? What's your best laptime vs. his best laptime?

Here we've got one guy that wins pretty much every week. He runs the most modern chassis, but several of us are within a tenth or so best lap to best lap but that difference would be completely negated by the inverted start where he's working through traffic. He just outdrives us. What very minor speed difference he has would not allow him to pass me if I didn't make a mistake (or mistake, mistake, uh oh, another mistake). He maybe runs half his qualifiers, usually hands his transmitter to someone else to run, so he's really a great ambassador for the class.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Well, the "flying" guys are known to have historically used the cheapest uncased Chinese LiPo cells they could find, and in the past, this has shown to be dangerous. The packs used in cars and planes/helis are not even similar in construction anymore.
Not the "flying" guys that I know, perhaps you are thinking about park flyer guys, but the guy running the 4S pack in his P51 is not going to put a cheap chinese cell in his plane, most use cheap Korean packs.

Funny when we think of quality batteries a Korean company is one of the top ones talked about....not a country that quality is usually associated with.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I guess I'll go buy a brushless $ystem to keep up w/ the Jone's....which IMO is not in the spirit of an the class/'even field' but it's legal and I don't think I'll get smacked from behind for it. thanks for all the help and feedback. lol.
Is the guy beating you using tire warmers, heat gun, sauce, etc.?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shadow102
X2 most motor manufacturers that I am aware of are making their 21.5 motors to the same specs as their 13.5 and 17.5 roar legal counter parts case and point are the speedpassion 21.5 motors
So when's the change happen?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Basically just waiting for roar to include the 21.5 in its approvals
Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Initial response I got back from Orion is that their 2400 lipo is considered an entry level battery and currently isn't going to be submitted for ROAR approval.

Having said that, the Orion 3400 is ROAR approved, TCS legal, and can fit into a stick pack chassis like the Mini-Cooper. Based on the retail price on Tower, you might be better off paying a little more for a larger capacity battery.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

amen bother.

At my track there is one racer with obvious advantage. His car has the top speed over everyone and even on my best runs I can only stay on the same lap...this gets old and killed my 'spirit'. The field is not level, even w/ all the rules to even the field and the spirit rule....
Hmmm, could it be he just plain drives better or has a very dialed in setup??? No, how dare I suggest such a thing.

I made a simple shock position adjustment and camber link length change on the front of my T/A car this past weekend, and found a 0.4 sec faster lap time.... YES 0.4 sec, which put me on pace with the TQ car. So instead of worrying about tire warmers, lipo warmers, heat guns, magic voodoo tires sauces, maybe re-evaluate your cars setup and your driving lines.

Jimmy
Old 12-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314
Hmmm, could it be he just plain drives better or has a very dialed in setup??? No, how dare I suggest such a thing.

I made a simple shock position adjustment and camber link length change on the front of my T/A car this past weekend, and found a 0.4 sec faster lap time.... YES 0.4 sec, which put me on pace with the TQ car. So instead of worrying about tire warmers, lipo warmers, heat guns, magic voodoo tires sauces, maybe re-evaluate your cars setup and your driving lines.

Jimmy
+1
Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

I hear k_bojar logging in now.....

LMAO!!!! (inside joke)
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

FYI, just wanted any USVTA racers close to Northeast Pa. to check out our USVTA Holiday Race on Saturday, December 20th....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...a-12-20-a.html
Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
It's too bad the race director doesn't step in, or the racer himself voluntarily slows the car down.

If he does he aint no racer.

You want to beat me then you better be faster is all I can say. As long as I am within the rules I am not voluntarily going to make my car go slower and can not see any real racer that would.

Sorry but been lurking and could not let this one go. Btw I dont race this class but was showing interest as long as the object to winning doesnt become who goes the slowest.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
If he does he aint no racer.

You want to beat me then you better be faster is all I can say. As long as I am within the rules I am not voluntarily going to make my car go slower and can not see any real racer that would.

Sorry but been lurking and could not let this one go. Btw I dont race this class but was showing interest as long as the object to winning doesnt become who goes the slowest.
Yet another frustrated B-main TC contender is heard from. Please, do everyone a favor and continue to polish your mad speed skills there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.