Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
I'm looking for opinions on running my TA races.

This past Summer I helped oversee our parking lot track which was about 110 feet by 50 feet with about 10 foot lanes. When I race directed when we had 12-15 plus TA cars there. Most of the time I would just put all the cars into one race for the qualifiers and the main. We'd use heads up Lemans start for the 5 minute qualifiers and for the main it was a heads up side-by-side start with a reverse order line up, meaning the best racers started in the rear.

So now this Winter, I'm overseeing and helping race direct pretty much the same racers at our indoor carpet track. the track is now 100 feet by 36 but with 8 foot lanes now, not 10.

This past weekend our first race I had 12 TA cars show up, with racers having a huge difference in skill level. I decided to create and A and B race and have six racers in each race for the qualifiers. For the main race I did what I do in the Summer and put all 12 cars in the main, with the best racers starting in the back. Well, we had a ton of rubbing and scraping and a little hacking that was unintentional. Pretty much everyone was hooping and hollering and having fun but for some of the racers it was a bit frustrating.

So my question is should I keep the A and B separated and not run all the cars together in the main because our lane width is two feet skinnier than the Summer?

If you showed up at my track would it be fun for you?
We've had 12 to 16 TA cars. We're doing 2 sets of 4 heats with resorts after each followed by A and B mains with anywhere from 6 to 8 cars in each race. Our track is relatively small too. It works great. Still competitive. I think our track could go up to 10 cars comfortably. We do standing starts on the tone for heats and rolling starts for the main.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
ROAR doesn't need the USVTA. The USVTA doesn't need ROAR. But together they are both stronger.
you got peanut butter in my chocolate
you got chocolate in my peanut butter
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-800px-reeses_peanut_butter_cups.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm looking for opinions on running my TA races.

This past Summer I helped oversee our parking lot track which was about 110 feet by 50 feet with about 10 foot lanes. When I race directed when we had 12-15 plus TA cars there. Most of the time I would just put all the cars into one race for the qualifiers and the main. We'd use heads up Lemans start for the 5 minute qualifiers and for the main it was a heads up side-by-side start with a reverse order line up, meaning the best racers started in the rear.

So now this Winter, I'm overseeing and helping race direct pretty much the same racers at our indoor carpet track. the track is now 100 feet by 36 but with 8 foot lanes now, not 10.

This past weekend our first race I had 12 TA cars show up, with racers having a huge difference in skill level. I decided to create and A and B race and have six racers in each race for the qualifiers. For the main race I did what I do in the Summer and put all 12 cars in the main, with the best racers starting in the back. Well, we had a ton of rubbing and scraping and a little hacking that was unintentional. Pretty much everyone was hooping and hollering and having fun but for some of the racers it was a bit frustrating.

So my question is should I keep the A and B separated and not run all the cars together in the main because our lane width is two feet skinnier than the Summer?

If you showed up at my track would it be fun for you?
We have been splitting up the qualifying... more than just skill level differences but also for availability of Marshalls. We usually try to find a good split for an A and B main based off qualifying times. Then we use bump ups out of the B. So as an example with 12 cars it may be split 6 for the A, 6 for the B... then 2 bump up if they wish making an 8 car A. Some of the B mains have been the best races of the night.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kenji, I'm jealous because your track sounds large in comparison to what we are running in Indy. What day are you all racing?

We had our largest VTA turnout last Friday for weekly racing - 19 cars. We have been working on a formula for how to run the mains at our track and I think we finally have it worked out. I will admit it is much easier when there are only a handful showing up vs enough for 3 or 4 mains. Basically for club racing we probably won't run more than 7 or 8 cars in a main. We found that this number created the best racing for track layout. We have run as many as 10 in a main, but inevitably someone drops out due to breakage or frustration. As long as you give your racers an expectation before any qualifying starts, you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Is it possible to have a guideline created for LeMans starts, specifically the distance between cars and the angle they are set at?

The reason I ask this question is that I've been to multiple tracks and no 2 turn marshals or tracks line up the cars the same. When there is too small of a gap between cars the first lap ends up being a mess. It would also be nice to have a recommended angle to setup the cars.

I was thinking someone could come up with a template that could placed on the track between cars to help quickly setup the start of a race.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Really looking forward to the Vintage cars racing at the Snowbirds this upcoming year. With so many overseas racers attending, I am sure heads are going to turn!!!

http://www.snowbirdnationals.com
Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
There it is!
LMAO!!!!!

FYI, I'm putting together a little Holiday USVTA Party at the Mushroom Bowl in Kennett Square Pa, on Saturday December 20th....

Here is their thread with a few recent Vintage pics on the last few pages.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...square-pa.html

We're gonna party like it's 1969!!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Is it possible to have a guideline created for LeMans starts, specifically the distance between cars and the angle they are set at?

The reason I ask this question is that I've been to multiple tracks and no 2 turn marshals or tracks line up the cars the same. When there is too small of a gap between cars the first lap ends up being a mess. It would also be nice to have a recommended angle to setup the cars.

I was thinking someone could come up with a template that could placed on the track between cars to help quickly setup the start of a race.
How about:
Cars at a 45 deg angle to the outside wall. Minimum distance of 1 (maybe 2?) full car lenghth between them?

Like this? \-\-\-\-\
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you got peanut butter in my chocolate
you got chocolate in my peanut butter
They go great together!!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Your kidding, Right?

Snowy.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

we did a couple of motocross starts over the weekend.. That was a blast drag race to the first corner who is going to lift ? High risk high reward even higher penalty..
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

What is a "motocross start"?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default motorcross start

everyone lined up facing forward side by side, go on the tone
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Kenji, I'm jealous because your track sounds large in comparison to what we are running in Indy. What day are you all racing?
Sundays just like in the Summer time at STrictly. With most of the same people as the Summer races.

In case you are interested....I'm not sure how you were driving to Strictly from Indiana, but Underground RC Racetrack is about 5 minutes south of the Loop on 90/94 (Dan Ryan Expressway) at 55th Street.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

No, I wasn't kidding.

I know how to setup a LeMans grid, but does everyone at your local track? We have enough cars lately for a A/B/C main which means our turn marshals are from another class. I find we spend too much time explaining to the marshals (and new racers) how to line up our cars properly because they always want to put the cars on top of each other, which can lead to messy starts. Depending where you are starting on the grid this becomes more of an issue.

I realize this may seem like a minor detail, but why ruin a great day of racing because the 1st lap turned into a demo derby. Just wanting to see what other people have experienced and looking for some input. I know of at least 2 different VTA point series going on right now and it would be nice to see some uniformity in how heats/mains are lined up.

I'll end by saying that a rule isn't necessary, but at least a general guideline that has proven to work would be nice. I will add that a brief description of how to run a rolling start would be nice too (yes I know what a rolling start is). Every time we have used a rolling start locally it creates confusion for at least someone. I do think how races are run should be up to local tracks, but examples and guidelines for VTA will help all tracks create the same great atmosphere that I've seen at the tracks I've had a chance to race at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.