Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know what the average current draw for a 27t brushed, 4 cell TC is? I'm trying to figure out just how "small" an esc I can get away with. Thanks, Don
Old 10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

just wondering why a small ESC would matter in a TC chassis for TA? What else you packing onto the chassis that makes it an issue?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Good question! I'm just trying to see if I can use a particular speed control I have on hand. Trying to make an old dog do new tricks! It's an Astro flight 218 Rug Rat esc. A lot depends on how "hungary" 27t brushed motors are. Don-(You won't believe what I'm building.)
Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I made this hand-out sheet for our club members to make it easy to understand the wheel options. Feel free to use it!

HPI Vintage Wheel Chart
Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I made this hand-out sheet for our club members to make it easy to understand the wheel options. Feel free to use it!

HPI Vintage Wheel Chart
Very nice work, extremely helpfull. Good job.

Marty
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

NATHAN WEIR WINS TUESDAY NIGHT T/A OPENER @ TRACKSIDE
Dad calls it an early Xmass present.

The Tuesday Night TRACKSIDE Trans-Am season kicked off with Nathan Weir winning the opening race. Trackside has adopted the entire USVTA rules package to harmonize their program with other tracks around the country.

A field of eight Vintage Trans-AMs began the rolling start pace lap lead by Marty Hageman who secured the first point of the season with his TQ run by winning both earlier heats. Nearing the end of the pace lap, Marty stuffed his '70 SS Camaro into the turn 11 barrier blocking the race line. Matt Sunderlege (Q2) narrowly missed the stalled Camaro as the rest of the field followed Matt without further incident.

Race director Scotty Earnst waived off the charging pack keeping the track yellow for another lap and asked for a reformation. The second pace lap was kept in tight formation by a cautious Hageman trying not to repeat his previous lap brain phart.

The pack of eight cars held close formation and took the green flag for the first eight min feature race of the season. Things got dicey first lap at the end of the sweeper as paint was rubbed and fenders scratched as the pack tried to slow for the 180 turn 3. Matt got the worst of the deal as he found himself a few positions back in the running order. Both the team Weir drivers had there sights set on the lead as they clawwed their way towards the leader on the first lap. Hageman failed to properly scrub his tires after the pace lap incident and found his traction limited as he swung wide letting the Weirs gain the advantage on the inside of the sweeper. The rest of the pack had quickly regained their composure and all cars were running a freight train formation during the opening laps. Rookie driver Dean Burnt found himself hanging on and racing with in top five after several hours of chassis tuning earlier in the day was paying off big time.

The battling Weirs allowed Hageman's now clean tired Camaro to regain the lead and begin to pull away. The Weirs finally started to drive as a team as Sunderlege caught them and made himself a factor in the front of the pack.

Hageman caught the tail end of the pack at the 3 min mark and was slowed as he planned his way around traffic for a pass and suddenly found his way blocked by car that found the turn seven inside wall. With no where to avaoid the collision Hageman found himself on his lid and watched helplessly as Nathan, Matt and Dave passed before the marshal could get to the car.

It was clear sailing for Nathan as Matt found Daves car very wide and his driving aggresive. Sunderlege managed to get past Dave just as Marty rejoined the top four ranks with Dean close behind. Hageman was on a mission and began to use up his brakes in attempts to get around Dave Weir, resulting in more than one close call. Hageman ran out of skill and brakes at the same time as he colided with Dave spinning him out entering the corner 9 right hander. Marty waited for Dave to take 3rd back before continueing on.

The favor was returned a few laps later when Hageman passed underneath Dave's wide line Camaro in the sweeper only to be collected by Weirs now dirty tires and excesive speed while negotiating turn 3, letting Nathan and Matt gain a large advantage.

With only a few laps remaining in this race, Hageman put his head down and worked traffic masterfully with his sights set first on Sundelege and looking forward to Nathan. Matt was beginning to strugle as he found his tires used up chasing Nathan resulting in an oversteer condition on his green Camaro. Marty found the deficite too large as time began to wain, only catching and passing the ill handling Sunderlege on the last lap as time expired earning a second place finish. Nathan was able to develope and retain his seven second lead over the pack taking the win at the season opener T/A feature.

Kudos go out to rookie Dean and his Mustang finishing only one lap down to the veteran racers after eight mins of running. Dean was overheard thanking his mechanic for the earlier thrash and adjustments earning his best outing to date and saying this was the best car he ever drove.

Nathan was found in the paddock area celebrating and grinning ear to ear after his win. When asked for comments on the feature, Nathan stated "All the racers did a great job respecting each others line and running fast and close all night. I could not have won without all the help from my fellow competitors and especially my dad as he kept anyone from getting close to me."

In a phone interview Wed morning with race director Earnst, Scotty commented "With the competition and close racing on display tonight, it looks like the Trackside Trans-Am season is off to a great start." We definatly agree.

(the preceeding report is presented for entertainment purpose only and no malice, ill will, or hard feeling should be read into this report or should result after reading. Ain't T/A a blast!)
Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Christmas.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Congrats Nathan!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 414MPH
[
Race director Scotty Earnst waived off the charging pack keeping the track yellow for another lap and asked for a reformation.
What specifically does a race director do for the above? What does he do with his software and how does it affect the race outcome?

I ask because there have been times when I'm running the races and something happens, like a track barrier collapsing and causing havoc at one end of a track layout, and I'd like to just say, "everyone stop right where you are" then fix the problem then tell everyone to start up again.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
What specifically does a race director do for the above? What does he do with his software and how does it affect the race outcome?

I ask because there have been times when I'm running the races and something happens, like a track barrier collapsing and causing havoc at one end of a track layout, and I'd like to just say, "everyone stop right where you are" then fix the problem then tell everyone to start up again.

RC Scoring Pro has the feature of letting the RD stop the race and reset it should something happen that would require a re-start, as in this case a "jumped start". 3 mouse clicks and it's good to go.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Since Trackside Trans-Am uses a rolling pace lap start, the race had not gone green yet and the field made a second pace lap.

I am not aware of a pause function in any r/c scoring software, but as stated above, the director can stop and resart from the begining if he determines this would be best for the situation.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

I use Alycat. I'll have to check it out if I can pause the clock during a race. It's happened a few times where there's issues but up to this point I've depended on marshals to just fix the problem with any track issues.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Just wanted everbody to see the USVTA logo on the Vintage Grand Prix Festival site.....

http://www.njvintagegrandprixfestival.com/

Old 10-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So, when I'm racing on a high grip carpet track, my front tires are squealing in the corners. Is that normal for VTA, or is it a symptom of a setup problem?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by airborn
Christmas.

Ever see Bad^er Santa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.