Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi nut
This is from memory, but the Pontiac Trans Am was first introduced as a regular option in '69. I think there were a few put out in '68. Yes the name came from the series and a licensing fee was paid per car. I think Jerry Titus drove the 70 TA in the series. IMO the '70 was the sexiest TA ever built, 455SD, 4speed, torque and horsepower, all wrapped in some sweet sheetmetal. White with the blue to black stripe on the hood, oh yeah!!! and I'm a Ford guy.

The Le Mans was a option package for the Tempest, that was slightly upscale from the base car, and GTO was an option package of the tempest also. The SS chevelles were option packages of the base chevelle, as was Malibu
Thats awesome. I was wondering because you see these historic races and its all Mustangs, Camaros and Cudas Oh my! Anyway I never saw a TA in any of these TA races. Im glad to know there were some that raced. Now if we can just convince HPI that they will sell them if they make them.

I want a 71 with a big tacky bird on the hood. Woooo Hooooo! East bound and down, loaded up and truckin.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
At the time I posted this I was realizing that the VTA I wanted was not what its creators had planned. If you look at the other post around that time,(Please dont) you will see some arguments over some pretty silly issues...
Yep, time heals all, right? A little water under the bridge also has shown that the USVTA formula is really strong the way it is, and that creating another similar class only would hurt the main class size.

The only way that another "real" race car class would work would be if the cars were completely different from USVTA cars—and that includes bodies, motors, tires, batteries... everything. Make it so different that you aren't robbing from Peter to pay Paul, so to speak.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Yes I agree.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The only way that another "real" race car class would work would be if the cars were completely different from USVTA cars—and that includes bodies, motors, tires, batteries... everything.
I'm actually hoping to be able to utilize something very close to the full rules package for the VTA, but for a class of SHORT Track Oval Racing...except, It'll be something more along the line of a R/C Street Stock class with more of a OVAL Racing paint scheme look and feel. (Same basic body rule though)
Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

It has crossed my mind that you could run VTA cars on dirt oval.

But I dont know something seems wrong about it. I mean isnt the whole point that the race is a scale model of an actual VTA race? Were any of them dirt oval. On one hand it would be cool, but I dont know man. I guess some where some how they had to have raced those cars on dirt.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
The only way that another "real" race car class would work would be if the cars were completely different from USVTA cars—and that includes bodies, motors, tires, batteries... everything. Make it so different that you aren't robbing from Peter to pay Paul, so to speak.
There's something like that out here, and it's why it's a bit difficult to get USVTA off the ground. It's called RCGT: HPI D-compound X-Patterns, 27T/17.5BL 6-cell, and realistic, scale-appearing GT bodies. It's actually a really cool class -- if it were only a bit slower (4-cell or silver can) it would be about perfect.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

On ovals, you could easily convert this class to a "Hobby Stock" class using ANY pre-1973 body, which would include some of the really cool Bombers from McAllister, and the early NASCAR stockers from Bolink, like the

Would work REALLY well.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
It has crossed my mind that you could run VTA cars on dirt oval.

But I dont know something seems wrong about it. I mean isnt the whole point that the race is a scale model of an actual VTA race? Were any of them dirt oval. On one hand it would be cool, but I dont know man. I guess some where some how they had to have raced those cars on dirt.
A few of our VTA drivers pulled the bodies off, put on 50's bodies and went oval racing last week. Cool to see a 56 ford and 57 Chevy going at it. Now if they had use steel wheels it would have really looked great. Got to say they were having some fun!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have thought that on dirt oval you could use this rim:

#3741 Stock Car Wheel 26mm Black
along with any 26mm tire that works at that track , since it's kinda hard to universally spec for dirt. Just add bomber body and go for it. Not sure if the TA power combos are as appropriate on an oval, maybe that's something to work on
Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last weekend my daughter and a couple of other guys were messing around on the carpet oval after we practiced outside on the roadcourse. There was a couple of pancars there that practicing, so they had compound on the track, aftewr a couple of laps with our vta cars we could hold them wide open all the way around. It was just as much fun dicing for position on the oval as it was outside. We were talking about the bomber bodies and bolink bodies, but keep the roadcourse setups on the cars. Just talk for now, but we may show up on the next oval race day and do a race for the heck of it.

Bob
Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What would you call running touring cars on the oval?

US Short Track Association
US Circle Track Association

Either, sounds like fun to me! I'm sure the touring cars handle better than the old Bolink Legends cars.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
What would you call running touring cars on the oval?

FUN!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

FUN!!!!!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Ha Ha! I think he was asking for a name for the class.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If WE had a local dirt track, I'd try out this idea there...

Two of MY all time favorite drivers from the 70's had 68 Camaros (ironically, both had the number 68 on them)

TOP - the LATE Sonny Easley. Sonny also drove in the NASCAR Winston Cup ranks for a few seasons, and was killed while praticing on the Road Course at RIVERSIDE INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY in California (I believe in 1979)

BOTTOM - Dan Simkins was a true DIRT racing Champion. Danny won 10 LOCAL championships, plus the NASCAR State Championship at Ascot Park and had 100's upon 100's of wins across CA. in his Dirt Late Models. Danny raced his last few seasons with a missing leg, that was lost to cancer, he also won the Championship his final year competing, and the cancer took him 2 months later...

Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

FUN!!!!!!
Heck yeah!!!

Between VTA and the Slash class it seems that slower/ scale racing is gaining some popularity.... maybe that will cross over to oval. (Fingers Crossed) Maybe some forward thinking folks will brainstorm some other uses for touring cars AND/OR opportunities to reuse older tech for completely different scale-classes of racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.