Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 08-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would like to know what the engineers or market people and HPI where smoking the day they came up with the motor system for this car. Why would you advertise a car ready to run for VTA and then put a motor and ESC in the car that can't be used. What a waist of time. A new BL motor and sensored ESC, since theirs no way a sensorless system would work with a 21.5, would probably cost as much as this kit.

So I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is so cool.

Anyone who knows people at HPI should contact them and get this change.

I have to says it's good idea just not implemented correctly.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
I tend to agree. I didn't quite understand the direction when this was brought to me, but I wasn't making the business decisions for HPI.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's great that HPI is embracing the VTA as much as they are, especially by introducing a RTR VTA- the chassis and everything's great.

The engineer in charge of picking the motor and ESC, however, probably needs to be flipping burgers before being given the chance to make another decision like that.

Now, if HPI releases a "race-spec" version (with a legal motor and ESC), home run...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
I tend to agree. I didn't quite understand the direction when this was brought to me, but I wasn't making the business decisions for HPI.
Damn. I was hoping you'd chime in with "settle down lads, HPI came to me and with 4-cell and a X.XX FDR it is perfect!"

Oh well. Realistically, I'm sure 95% of these sold will be used for playing in the street, in which case a VTA-spec powertrain would feel too slow.

But there could always be a "race spec" version...funny when the "race spec" is slower than the regular!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is so cool.

Anyone who knows people at HPI should contact them and get this change.

I have no doubt this was built with the hopes of selling it to a MUCH LARGER market than the VTA will provide.

Nationwide, while the VTA guys are growing...it would still by any means be considered a very small market...and to a guy walking in a LHS, he wants a car that is FASTER (cause they are usually dumb) but SPEED Sells.

The HPI guy is a lot smarter than many of you give credit...but it would be kind cool if they had available a special "LIMITED EDITITION" VTA - Legal version....or just short of a RTR version (complete ROLLING Chassis w/ NO Electronics)
Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
I have no doubt this was built with the hopes of selling it to a MUCH LARGER market than the VTA will provide.

Nationwide, while the VTA guys are growing...it would still by any means be considered a very small market...and to a guy walking in a LHS, he wants a car that is FASTER (cause they are usually dumb) but SPEED Sells.

The HPI guy is a lot smarter than many of you give credit...but it would be kind cool if they had available a special "LIMITED EDITITION" VTA - Legal version....or just short of a RTR version (complete ROLLING Chassis w/ NO Electronics)
+1 Minus electronics and with a big sticker sheet.
OK so its not exactly race spec for VTA. This is still a big deal
The publicity the USVTA is getting from this will definitely make an impact.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
I'm new to brushless, but is it possible to just change a spur/pinion so that the thing can't go faster than 24MPH and still perform well?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

A motor with that high a Kv value will most likely start to over heat with a gear ratio that would make it slow enough. With most motors there's a sweet spot for gearing, if go to high or low you will start to have heat problems.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It's essentially a 19T motor in the HPI kit. There is no chance of getting that car to perform the same as a USVTA-legal car, unfortunately, without a motor change.

Honestly, it's really cool that HPI is putting this kit out to the market. I think it shows a lot about the progress this class has made in under a year of existence. However, it's really not that difficult to put a USVTA car on the track, and can be done without THAT much cost. The RTR-world we live in makes cars like this interesting to a lot of people, but it's not really needed to make this class stronger and better.

Would I have liked to see this kit in full USVTA trim? Hell yeah! But this really doesn't add or subtract much to the current goals of this class—it's still going to be as strong as it can possibly be this winter.

Not to speak for the HPI guys, but I believe the goal of this car was to build it around the new Flux brushless system, and they didn't have any other options that were close to our rules base for this class. I think it will sell well to the same people who see these cars at car shows and race tracks around the country.

d
Old 08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

...I'll be doing an exhibition race at the end of the month at a fairly large car show... Last years event drew several thousand people to the show, and a large number of them stopped to watch us race. Many of the actual car owners set up their lawn chairs and watched US instead of sitting near their cars.

It was SO awesome having a spectator section that cheered when something exciting happened.

(CAR SHOWS are FUN Places to race)
Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
...I'll be doing an exhibition race at the end of the month at a fairly large car show... Last years event drew several thousand people to the show, and a large number of them stopped to watch us race. Many of the actual car owners set up their lawn chairs and watched US instead of sitting near their cars.

It was SO awesome having a spectator section that cheered when something exciting happened.

(CAR SHOWS are FUN Places to race)
What show? End of August or September?
Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

We did the same thing in Fort Collins, CO earlier this year. It was a local Church that does a show each year so the attendance was not huge, probably 100 or so show cars, but for a partial one day event it was quit good. We had 7 racers I believe and ran 4 races with probably 20-30 people watching each race. It was a blast and look forward to doing it again next year.

I've always thought car shows or even county fairs would be good places to show RC racing from a spectator perspective and to try and grow the hobby. Unfortunately, it takes time to set these up and I know from my work schedule it's tough.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

our is the "Cruzin for Life" Benefit Car Show, Sept. 27th at the Fairplex in Santa Maria (CA)

Saturday features:
  • Car Show
  • R/C Racing Exhibition (featuring a "Survivors Challenge R/C Race")
  • CRUZ through Downtown Santa Maria (featuring Cancer Survivors riding in the SHOW CARS of their Choice)
  • Dinner/Dance & Charity Auction

On Sunday, they will be holding their FAMOUS "Burn Out Competition" on a CITY STREET (located between the Fairplex and the Santa Maria High School)

Grandstads will be set up along the street for spectator viewing.

more info www.cruzinforlife.net
more info on the r/c racing - www.centralcoastrcracing.com
or email me at [email protected] (Subject: Cruzin for Life)
Old 08-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
We did the same thing in Fort Collins, CO earlier this year. It was a local Church that does a show each year so the attendance was not huge, probably 100 or so show cars, but for a partial one day event it was quit good. We had 7 racers I believe and ran 4 races with probably 20-30 people watching each race. It was a blast and look forward to doing it again next year.

I've always thought car shows or even county fairs would be good places to show RC racing from a spectator perspective and to try and grow the hobby. Unfortunately, it takes time to set these up and I know from my work schedule it's tough.
We've already been asked to do it again!!!

Yes I have accepted!!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Hello everyone....it's the local HPI "burger flipping"..."smokeout king" here.....

..well actually it's just you're "xxxx king" graphics guy here....

The idea behind the Sprint 2 Flux chassis with the Vintage Mustang body is that it's an evolution of the current Sprint 2 Chassis. It is aimed directly for the ultra competitive RTR market where the first question is ALWAYS....."How fast does it go?" We added the USVTA markings (with Doug's permission) on to the labeling simply to alert people that "Hey...check out this really really cool Vintage racing action" period. As far as making it a USVTA spec car, although the possibility is certainly there, that is not what set out to do. We simply wanted to expose more people to the Vintage scene and make it grow. At the end of the day, if the Vintage scene grows, it will be good for everyone, yes? no? yes? no?

So people, people, please....we're completely aware of what the USVTA specs are, and the engineers here work very hard to come out with super cool products. And yes, we do peek our heads in here to see what the scene is.

Thanks,

AH
hpiracing usa

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.