Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

would you guys mind if I take some of these awesome Trans am pics and put them in my blog? I was thinking of doing a "car of the week" post or something like that.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Originally Posted by andyh

Please make the cougar !!!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Found and purchased two 70 SS bodies last night on ebay. Hope to have them soon. I always likes the 70- 1/2 Camaro body.... if you know what I mean.........
dang, Marty... good find. if you locate any more, let me know!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ridge_Racer
would you guys mind if I take some of these awesome Trans am pics and put them in my blog? I was thinking of doing a "car of the week" post or something like that.

Definitely DO IT, David. The more people that know about this class, the better.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

I actually have a 69 Corvette body that I got from a guy in the UK, sadly he isn't making anymore so it's in my pile of never to be used bodies... lol...
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
I actually have a 69 Corvette body that I got from a guy in the UK, sadly he isn't making anymore so it's in my pile of never to be used bodies... lol...
you need to send that to someone who can make a mold out of it.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default Trans Am in Memphis

We have a vintage "trans am" class in Memphis we started mid 07 season. Our rules are a little different. Tamiya tt01 chassis only, Tamiya black can motors, any treaded tire, 70s or older body, 6 cell batteries. We are having a meeting to discuss the upcoming season and i will bring up the rules ya'll have here. we might use the 27t w/4 cell and the one tire rule but keep the tt01 only chassis rule for 08 (many have already purchased there chassis for 08). Perhaps we can slowly evolve the rule to come in line with the "national" rules. If we had known earlier before so many comitted to the tt01 we could come in line a bit faster. again, we started this class mid last season and it got a lot of attention. we ended up with 7 regulars but for 08 it looks like this will at least double. very fun class. i almost forgot. i'd like to see the 70 boss mustang. i am one of the ford guys (please keep the jokes to yourself =)) and i am having a hard time beating the 70 cudas and 68 camaro with the older 66 mustang. i know it must be the car and not my driving.........
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-image_185.jpg  

Last edited by frankrehnelt; 01-18-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Some people have asked me about the legality of certain other bodies for this class. Honestly, it's up to each individual track as to what is legal or not, but for scale accuracy, only the bodies on our official Rules list are allowed at U.S Vintage Trans Am sanctioned races.

For those of you trying to find other bodies that would work in the class, here is a lits of the REAL cars that raced in the SCCA series from 1966 through 1972 (and Corvettes are not on the list ):

American Motors Javelin
Chevrolet Camaro
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Dart
Ford Falcon
Ford Mustang
Mercury Cougar
Plymouth Barracuda
Pontiac Firebird
Pontiac Tempest

Hopefully, HPI steps up soon and gives us a little more to choose from for this class.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

im not a chevy or a corvette guy, but i really like the 69. If HPI ever makes any of the other "legal" cars that would be awesome.
we almost need like a poll of what cars should be made.
i vote for...

Dodge Dart
AMC Javelin
Mercury Cougar

challenger would be cool too, but weve got the cuda already
Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Firstly, I'll confirm the Pegasus Camaro and Mustang bodies are READILY available directly from Horizon. I went to their site Wed. eve while these were being discussed, dropped three Camaros and a Mustang in my cart and ordered 'em up. Got confirmation from Horizon yesterday that they have shipped and the tracking info says I should have 'em Tuesday.

The Camaro gives us something new. Looking at the pics they aren't even CLOSE to HPI as far as detail, but HPI aren't doing a gen2 Camaro. The Pegasus Mustang we'll have a look at...Parma already does a '70 but it's REALLY bland in the detail department AND has those dorky "flares". Maybe the Pegasus is better. As far as the 'Cuda, why waste time with either the Pegasus OR the Parma when the HPI piece is DEFINITELY the hot ticket.

Getting specific re: body requests...

I wouldn't just say "Boss 302". The '70 is "done", not as well as HPI would do it, but if they're going to do a fastback I'd rather see the '69. Better looking car anyway even if it wasn't the championship year.

The Mustang I'd FAR rather see them do than either of the above would be the '67-8 "Notchbacks". THAT has enough difference to be very noticeable out on the track and there are a TON of historic liveries for these. They were the backbone of the series in those years, champions in '67 no less.

The Cougar would be my FAVORITE. I know four distinct color liveries accurate to this car as-raced.

Unfortunately, as "neat" as they were, I'd bet the Cougar, Darts ('66 and '67-8)and Tempest would be, generally, poor sellers.

Folks would buy the Javelin if for nothing other than the red-white-blue livery. My REAL hope would be that they did the '70 car which was far and away the most handsome of the Javelins. Unfortunately, '71 (the ugly techno-fish) is when they won the championship. '70 was the first year for Donohue/Penske involvement though.

The Challenger would probably sell reasonably well, bucking all common wisdom. There's a whopping ONE livery (not even any number variant) but Mopar guys are Mopar guys... I'd get one because I like Sam Posey. And because, well, pic attached. Three guesses who's taking the Challenger to pre-grid, first two don't count.

It's a crying shame that THREE mfr's have all done the '70 'Cuda (and two of those don't even count when compared to the third) when the '66 car was so successful. I've even got a pic of a "mid-years" 'Cuda ('67-69) in a TA.

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-27-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

And with some creative decal work from HPI, the Camaro could easily be turned into a very close Firebird, while the Cuda could be turned into the Challenger for probably a lot less effort than adapting the body molds.

I'd think the Cougar and Javelins are probably the most appealing potential bodies, for sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dude, somebody ought to make the Torino! Imagine seeing the Starsky and Hutch mobile tooling around a track
Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What about making the HPI Pantera a legal body?

It was brought to my attention just recently that it did participate in the T/A series driven by Warren Tope. The info was found here.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Dude, somebody ought to make the Torino! Imagine seeing the Starsky and Hutch mobile tooling around a track
Believe it or not, a Torino (and a Charger) raced at LeMans in about '76 or '77. They were part of a "Nascar" class. AFAIK never road-raced here except when Nascar made their annual journey to Riverside.

They definitely weren't TA cars though.

Originally Posted by killingtime
What about making the HPI Pantera a legal body?

It was brought to my attention just recently that it did participate in the T/A series driven by Warren Tope. The info was found here.
Yes, they were definitely TA cars, but they came later after the rules were jimmied around to allow 2-seat cars (that's what opened the door for the Corvette as well).

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-27-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Apex,

Shhhhh.... You're stealing my next paint idea. Decals are already done. I should have it ready next week for the trophy race in Indiana.

Socko

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.