Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if all motors by one maker were truely identical i could see the one make rule, however...

actually non of this effects me, just checking to see where the class is headed, out here in the northwest i argued to slow the class down, they were running 13.5 six cell/lipo no gear limit. now its, six cell/lipo, 13.5 geared 6.2, 17.5 geared 4.2 brushed no fdr limit, i just ran last sunday with a 13.5 timing ring cranked, ESC timing cranked, 6.2 limit, and drove around by myself to prove a point. don't think its gonna take.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
uhhh, trying not to name names, but.........yeah
Funny then THAT HE DIDN'T WIN!

We'll be sure to tech all his vehicles from now on.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Funny then THAT HE DIDN'T WIN!

We'll be sure to tech all his vehicles from now on.
The 4.2 FDR 17.5 and 27t brushed unlim. FDR wont be equal...the 27t will run away with it
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I'm running 27T in Sportsman Stock as it is right now - was going to convert the Losi XXX-S over to Vintage, but it will basically be like running stock if we are doing 17.5 and Lipo. At least I picked up a 17.5 cheap on the forums here.

That's going to be a mighty quick class, still. But at least it will slow it down some from the 13.5/Lipo they are running right now.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
That would be a mistake. Note that the 17.5 option isn't limited to one mfr. I use exclusively Novak BL motors so it doesn't affect me either way, but to limit one class when the other isn't would be showing even more short-sightedness than has been the norm.

If ROAR begins to do 21.5 approvals the ROAR spec should be followed, just like 17.5.
I agree with what you are saying but looking at it from the other side and the fact that 21.5's are not ROAR motors as of yet picking only 1 motor might be a good thing for the time being. Maybe once ROAR starts to approve 21.5 motors then the rules can be opened up with their approval. Even with the 17.5 motors I have yet to see one motor be that much faster then the rest that it made everyone go out and buy that motor so there is a case there to allow more then just the Novak but the rules are the same for everyone.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I agree with what you are saying but looking at it from the other side and the fact that 21.5's are not ROAR motors as of yet picking only 1 motor might be a good thing for the time being. Maybe once ROAR starts to approve 21.5 motors then the rules can be opened up with their approval. Even with the 17.5 motors I have yet to see one motor be that much faster then the rest that it made everyone go out and buy that motor so there is a case there to allow more then just the Novak but the rules are the same for everyone.
Uh...if you'd read my previous post, I am in 100% agreement with the single mfr rule UNTIL ROAR start doing homologation of 21.5 motors. This particular comment was to address the possibility stated that even if ROAR starts doing 21.5 approvals that USVTA might remain Novak only.

Even in my post you quoted, the "If" reigns supreme.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

At this point, I'm going to leave it at this. Until 21.5 brushless motors are ROAR mandated and controlled, there is ONE motor option for the LiPo people. If you don't like it, then there are two other fairly open battery and motor combos to choose from—which is more than ANY other class in all of R/C racing.

I fail to see how this class is short-sighted in any way. It's the fastest growing class of R/C right now, and that's even in the off peak months. Looks pretty solid to me. The results don't lie.

I think some of you guys would complain that the sky was too blue, if you weren't racing R/C cars.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
homologation
I think you used this word twice.

I had to look it up.

It's my word of the day and I'm going to try and use it five times today in various conversations!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

In case anyone is interested...take a peek at our results from last week's parking lot race. There were 15 TA cars all running under USVTA power plant rules. You can then look at the "Open Modified" results. Most of the Open Mod racers were racing using a 13.5 brushless. Just thought it would be interesting for anyone looking to compare results.

http://tinyurl.com/55vmel
Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I think you used this word twice.

I had to look it up.

It's my word of the day and I'm going to try and use it five times today in various conversations!
Just be certain you use it correctly--we've all seen people who try to use "big" vocabulary inappropriately. There aren't many instances outside racing to use it, but within racing it is, arguably, the correct term.

GTO = Gran Tourismo Omologato (or thereabout). Italian for Grand Touring Homologated. All cars raced in the Trans Am were homologated with the FIA and the fee (like $40) paid for doing so. This process was how notchback Mustangs ended up in TA / A-Sedan while fastbacks were B-Production through 1968 as the fastbacks had already been homologated as 2-seaters via the GT350 and were, thus, ineligible for TA.

This is also how Herb Adams, et al, ended up building up his wife's '64 Tempest into the Old Grey Mare for the '71 TA season was that Pontiac HAD actually had the '64 Tempest homologated, thus the Pontiac GTO (a rebadged Tempest) really was homologated. THERE'S a little truth-in-advertising for you.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In case anyone is interested...take a peek at our results from last week's parking lot race. There were 15 TA cars all running under USVTA power plant rules. You can then look at the "Open Modified" results. Most of the Open Mod racers were racing using a 13.5 brushless. Just thought it would be interesting for anyone looking to compare results.

http://tinyurl.com/55vmel
I tried to do the math but i teach language arts, so bear with me....

It looks like Pro Mod winner's average speed per lap was only three seconds faster than the winner in Trans Am A-- is that correct?

If that's accurate, what kind of track do you guys run on?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

chicagokenji,
- Any pictures of racing last weekend?
- Are you running this weekend?
- Any idea how many USVTA cars to expect?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

I just made a quick contact sheet of some images from last weekend. Find them here:

http://tinyurl.com/5ff67z
Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
At this point, I'm going to leave it at this. Until 21.5 brushless motors are ROAR mandated and controlled, there is ONE motor option for the LiPo people. If you don't like it, then there are two other fairly open battery and motor combos to choose from—which is more than ANY other class in all of R/C racing.

I fail to see how this class is short-sighted in any way. It's the fastest growing class of R/C right now, and that's even in the off peak months. Looks pretty solid to me. The results don't lie.

I think some of you guys would complain that the sky was too blue, if you weren't racing R/C cars.

I know its gotta be the way you have it in the rules... i personally am just not a fan of novak.. but being there spec motors were the mark that the other companys had to meet for there spec motors i know its got to be this way.

Anyone wanna trade a 21.5 for my novak 17.5 used once pm me !
Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys....Just wanted to share this new video posted on the HPI site of our Challenge race a few months ago.

The cameraman must have been a Vintage fan....LOL

http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2008033101/

Also, we are holding a USVTA race next Saturday (7/19) at a track here in New Jersey (Jackson R/C, Jackson N.J.) if anyone close enough wants to come and play.

Check out this thread for more details.....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=228780

I'll post pics here after the event.

p.s. Doug, I got my official shirt....Thanx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.