Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
We had an answer for that. We ran modified! Why? Because it was cheaper to run modified. Why was it cheaper? Because you could rebuild a modified motor, and you couldn't rebuild a stock.

So what happened? Those of us who were against rebuildable stock motors were afraid that someone with cubic dollars could buy a hundred motors and try each arm in each can, finding the best motor of the lot. We though this would kill stock racing.

We were wrong. Rebuildable stock motors did make it cheaper to run stock, so much so that racers abandoned modified to the point where (at least in carpet on road) only the best factory sponsored driver who practice 40 hours a week and get new cars built for them for every big race could race it.

Rebuildable stock motors didn't kill stock, it killed modified!
jiml,

I don't think I said rebuildable STOCK Killed 'anything'...

If you know the HISTORY of Rebuildable Stock Motors - you would know I was probably THE BIGGEST person pushing this and with a lot of help from a few other people (Mainly J.B. Judy Beaver, who went on to create ARCOR) we got those motors created for NORRCA. With the PUSH from J.B. she was also able to get ROAR to sanction those motors in an effort at that time to bring both of those organizations together. In the original proposal, we were told there was NO WAY Roar would ever approve such a motor, then we were told Roar would have to review it for a min. of 1 year...less than 2 months later, they were approved...after the majority of legwork, research and written rules were created by NORRCA.

We were very encouraged that Roar came on board so quickly, and I still feel the rebuildable STOCK motor was one of THE BEST things that happened to STOCK Racing and R/C Racing in the 23 years I've been racing.

(NOTE: I too switched from STOCK to MODIFIED due to the COST of Stock Racing prior to rebuildable stock motors, although never able to control a car to my liking, it saved me $100.00's of dollars for several years.

I'm became much happier being able to go back to a class that I could drive the speeds, at a more affordable price)
Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

I'm became much happier being able to go back to a class that I could drive the speeds, at a more affordable price)
Theres logic that you dont see every day.

hats off to you swtour
Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by convikt

hats off to you swtour

I shed a tear reading that myself. If only more people would come to that realization........
Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am sure Dawn will be on soon enough. The meeting was for sure ( from what I have gleened form emails), a ground breaking one. There are a bunch of new things that some will love and some will hate. Dawn is flyng back today, so give it a few days for everything to settle down.

Originally Posted by RC_Dan
So can anyone from ROAR give us an indicator as to when the info from today will be released?? I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know what the rules are going to be for Nats so I can get prepared...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by convikt

hats off to you swtour
Originally Posted by sportpak
I shed a tear reading that myself. If only more people would come to that realization........
So you two going to show up tommorow with a 4-cell 21.5 in your touring cars
Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
So you two going to show up tommorow with a 4-cell 21.5 in your touring cars
Nahh, cant get enough gear on it
Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

... 4 cell / 21.5 wasn't what we had the 21.5's built for (We had Novak build them for LIPO racing in our oval pan cars)

However, you talk about a motor that could make a great NOVICE speed motor/battery combo....WOW - then jump up to a 6 cell or LIPO pack as you learn...then from there keep following the stepping stones until you reach the speed YOU enjoy.

Granted - this slow of a motor would be of more benefit on really SHORT TIGHT tracks... moreso than the larger/wider outdoor tracks a lot of us get to enjoy.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

jiml,

I don't think I said rebuildable STOCK Killed 'anything'...
I never said you said it. I said it, and there are many who agree with me.

Look, everyone's going to have a different perspective on what they think the hobby needs. And even worse is we all expect ROAR to come up with some magic formula that will make everyone happy. Just not possible. We are all going to have to compromise somewhere for this stuff to work.

We need to come up with a class that's fast enough to get people interested, but slow enough that experienced racers don't want to race it. Whoever comes up with that gets the $5 from "The last person to post gets $5" thread.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
How about something like a 13.5 with bonded rotor only?
NO!

Bonded rotors are prone to slipping, shifting, over heating, and exploding.

I am in favor of 5-Cell or LiFePO4 cells, they would have about the same peak voltage and would reduce the speeds enough to make 13.5 managable for many newer racers in the 1:10 classes. For 1:12 or oval its a different story.

Less cells, MORE possible punch and less weight. Less weight with more punch... well.. you decided.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Whoever comes up with that gets the $5 from "The last person to post gets $5" thread
LOL - yeah! Good luck with THAT ONE... LOL
Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
I am sure Dawn will be on soon enough. The meeting was for sure ( from what I have gleened form emails), a ground breaking one. There are a bunch of new things that some will love and some will hate. Dawn is flyng back today, so give it a few days for everything to settle down.
Care to elaborate at all from your emails? I'm dying to know what went down...
Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

LOL - yeah! Good luck with THAT ONE... LOL
Ya gotta give some kind of incentive.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
NO!

Bonded rotors are prone to slipping, shifting, over heating, and exploding.
Not likely in stock power level racing.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Not likely in stock power level racing.
The problem with the bonded rotors was that the higher you geared them the faster you went untill you got to ~180*F and they degaussed and were useless.

This happened all the time to the early Novak 4300 and 5800's. This was our fault as racers becuse we would pull the blue sensor wire to stop them from thermalling. It was this or have your car stop in the middle of the track during a race.

Sintered rotors have almost eliminated this problem. You can get them hot enough to mess them up but you really have to try hard to do it.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The suspense.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.