ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

I think that one thing we might be able to do for the 13.5 guys is to allow them to run with the 10.5's. Yes, they would be at a disadvantage but it would give them some time to save up the cash that they need for a new motor. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

I would bet that most of the local clubs that have a healthy 13.5 class will continue to have that class regardless of the new rules.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
You may be in an area where you have the pleasure to race 19t, however I am not. Around here it is very rare to be able to run it. The track an hour north of me occasionally will have it, but the track I run at the most does not have it and has no intentions of having it. I tried to get the class going, but I was the only person who could drive a 19t faster around the track than stock, I was all for it, but nobody else wanted to do it. So when the track goes to 27t/17.5 what do we tell the person with the 13.5 who is able to run at their track?
You tell that person to run in the 19t/10.5 class because the 13.5 is to fast to be considered for the stock class, or they buy a 17.5 motor.
That way we can all travel from track to track and be able to race what we have.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
You may be in an area where you have the pleasure to race 19t, however I am not. Around here it is very rare to be able to run it. The track an hour north of me occasionally will have it, but the track I run at the most does not have it and has no intentions of having it. I tried to get the class going, but I was the only person who could drive a 19t faster around the track than stock, I was all for it, but nobody else wanted to do it. So when the track goes to 27t/17.5 what do we tell the person with the 13.5 who is able to run at their track?
If everyone is already running 13.5 right now, then keep it that way. Don't force everyone to start running 17.5 in stock. You could also move the guys running 13.5 to an "Open 19Turn" class and open up a new class for 17.5/Stock. Talk to the track directors and racers at your track and at the other track in the area and try to figure out something consistent between the two tracks. I would suggest to do what is best for your area, not what is best for a national event.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
Bob - love the "step in it" post. Are you coming to the 'Birds?
Like to, but my son has already missed to many days of school this quarter. They are only allowed so many days missed for racing...UH.. ER... I mean sick days... He was home with a massive fever...

Ain't as fun to go without him.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC_Dan
I don't see the need to further divide classes, all this tends to do is bring participation down in each class. We are not going to be able to make everyone happy, and that's just how it is. Again, if local clubs want to continue running 13.5, they are ecouraged to do so.
I was thinking it would be the opposite. You would have everybody that is happy with runnng 13.5 now stay there and it would also give the newbies a class to race without being intimidated. Where I race we run 2 stock classes now..sportsman and expert and we have 19T/10.5. No track in our area is running mod anymore.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok....How about this.

Make 13.5 the Spec Mod motor for Indoor Carpet tracks.

Make 10.5 the Spec Mod motor for Outdoor Asphalt tracks.

The rules for both motors are identical except for wire length and wind. This way everyone is happy.

The carpet guys wont have to deal with too much motor and the asphalt guys don't have to deal with too little motor.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Just make it stock and mod. There is really no need for 19t, even thought for most types of 1/10 electric this seems to be about the best amount of power for everyone.

There are already too many classes. I looked at the Novak race results and couldn't figure it out. 3 classes of foam, 3 classes of rubber, sportsman? WTF?? I don't even think there was a C main in the Mod class! Isn't this supposed to be the premiere class? Less than 30 entries? (Maybe I'm missing something there)

Stock and Mod. Define them and roll with it. If some of us have to eat a motor or two we'll live (I can't believe anybody that has raced stock in the last couple years would complain ). If we can afford to play with toy cars at all we can afford a new motor to race a well defined class.

The real problem has always been the batteries anyway.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revolution31
If everyone is already running 13.5 right now, then keep it that way. Don't force everyone to start running 17.5 in stock. You could also move the guys running 13.5 to an "Open 19Turn" class and open up a new class for 17.5/Stock. Talk to the track directors and racers at your track and at the other track in the area and try to figure out something consistent between the two tracks. I would suggest to do what is best for your area, not what is best for a national event.
It is not a matter of what is best for a national event, it is a matter of consistency throughout the country. The carpet track I race at the majority of the time and the off road track I help run and maintain will conform to Roar rules. The problem is neither of these tracks have a 19t class, the carpet track just has "stock" and our off road track has "stock" and "mod". Now for the off road track it is easy, 13.5 will be ran in mod, we were going to do this this coming year anyways, because of too many complaints from the brushed 27t and because some people wouldn't come race because the 13.5 was allowed in the stock class. But the carpet track will be divided, some will want the 13.5, some will want brushed, and to be honest we don't have enough racers to separate. So someone will be lost out. Be it the person who comes in with a 27t motor or if we continue with the class the way it is, the person who comes in with a 10.5 motor. Unless all club tracks are advised to run in accordance with Roar rules there will be inconsistencies. Regardless there will be anyways, but the more tracks that abide by the rules the less there will be. And with this argument the 13.5 is the best choice for "stock".
Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with Panther420,
The reason the sport is not growing is at most tracks newbies are thrown to the wolves. They have to run with the 13.5 or 10.5 cars. If tracks would adopt the 17.5 class as a beginner class maybe more new racers would stay in the hobby. When they reach a certain level they should be moved up to the next class. The transfer to the next level would be much easier for them.

Dave Irrgang
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Ok....How about this.

Make 13.5 the Spec Mod motor for Indoor Carpet tracks.

Make 10.5 the Spec Mod motor for Outdoor Asphalt tracks.

The rules for both motors are identical except for wire length and wind. This way everyone is happy.

The carpet guys wont have to deal with too much motor and the asphalt guys don't have to deal with too little motor.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Adrian,
I would not be happy with 10.5 only on asphalt, I like 10.5 on carpet. I run 13.5 on carpet to get extra practice.

Dave Irrgang
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Diffdude
I agree with Panther420,
The reason the sport is not growing is at most tracks newbies are thrown to the wolves. They have to run with the 13.5 or 10.5 cars. If tracks would adopt the 17.5 class as a beginner class maybe more new racers would stay in the hobby. When they reach a certain level they should be moved up to the next class. The transfer to the next level would be much easier for them.

Dave Irrgang
I've seen this at many tracks. It seems like a good idea but it just doesn't work out right. The sportsman drivers move up to mod (or whatever) and aren't competitive and then they lose interest. By creating smaller jumps between classes eventually you wind up with a situation where nobody gets better, everyone races the same 4-10 people every week and everybody loses interest (it's not an A-main if there is no B-main).

None of this seems to be a problem in offroad nitro where there is no stock, 19t, or mod and at bigger events they turn away entries because of overwhealming interest.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

My .02............not that anybody cares

17.5 should be the stock class. Its slow enough that the factory stock guys won't run it, but its fast enough that the average racer will still have alot of fun.

13.5 should be the mid level class.....very fast lap times, as seen at the novak race last week

both classes should be 6 cell.......that means stick packs, lipo's or matched packs.............nobody is excluded

The mod class should be 5 cell and open motor.....its a big jump from 13.5 six cell.....but its not so fast that only 10 guys in the world can hang onto it
Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Lord

Those are very sound assesments of power/skill level and sensible but the mod class does not include a provision for Lipo voltage. Like it or not, lipo is coming (roar sanctioned or not) and coming hard. I think a class that excludes it would not last. What about a motor cap for mod too?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
My .02............not that anybody cares

17.5 should be the stock class. Its slow enough that the factory stock guys won't run it, but its fast enough that the average racer will still have alot of fun.

13.5 should be the mid level class.....very fast lap times, as seen at the novak race last week

both classes should be 6 cell.......that means stick packs, lipo's or matched packs.............nobody is excluded

The mod class should be 5 cell and open motor.....its a big jump from 13.5 six cell.....but its not so fast that only 10 guys in the world can hang onto it
That is not that bad of an idea, or opinion. It makes the jump to mod from 13.5 not as big, also the motor tuners would still have jobs as people would definitely want faster motors because of 5 cell, the 13.5 class which is norm for a good percentage of us would still be a class, and the new guys can run 17.5. It slows things down, which is what roar wants, and those who think that 10.5 is too slow but mod too fast can now run mod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.