R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   better handling for a shaft drive car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/197685-better-handling-shaft-drive-car.html)

streetracer745 12-28-2007 01:12 PM

better handling for a shaft drive car?

i have a yokomo mr4tc sd with rayspeed graphite chassis and basically every upgrade available for it. its dialed in great and handles OKAY. i want it to handle better. i think a lot of my problem is downforce. i have a 200mm s2000 body and 30mm rubber tires. i would prefer not to go with foams since you have to true them so often. what all could i do to make it handle better? what is the highest downforce body that i could get for it?

Waltrip55 12-28-2007 01:27 PM

I run a shaft drive car...and it handles great. Your body and wheel choice are a huge part of getting your car hooked up. Run the Mazdaspeed 6 or DNA bodies from Protoform, and run Take-off CS-27 tires or RP-30 tires(or the rubber tire of choice at your track). After you get the body/tires...move on to finding the right spring/swaybar set-up for your track.

streetracer745 12-28-2007 01:38 PM

it handles good, and i know it can be great. its pretty dialed in spring and sway bar wise. i dont actually run at a track very often. i do parking lot races with some people around here. there is a smooth asphault track near me and we drive there every weekend. its usually pretty clean, and if not we sweep it off and set up wheels, cones, and pvc to mark off the track. what rubber tires would you recomend for a clean smooth asphault track?

Joel Lagace 12-28-2007 01:39 PM

ITs amazing how we can spend 100s of dollars on our car and totally F-it up with a 20$ part.... As in that body your running. Get a proper race body, if there are no rules get a can/am lola type wing body that u see on the 1/8th scale cars. Otherwise protoform race bodies for TC is the best option

streetracer745 12-28-2007 01:41 PM

i deffinetly havent Fed it up. it still handles good. and whats wrong with gettign a good looking body if im not a hard core racer? either way im probably gonna end up with a mazdaspeed 6 body

Waltrip55 12-28-2007 02:27 PM

Go with the Mazdaspeed 6 and some Take-off tires and you should be set. I run a TL-01 with my brothers TT-01 and my friend's TT-01 on the driveway. Always great fun and close racing:D

LOW ET 12-28-2007 02:53 PM

here's another quick question, what is better lower center of gravity or weight to the center of the chassis?

Joel Lagace 12-28-2007 04:29 PM

BOTH! :) the nature of design is both, newest cars are lowering CG and placing as much of the weigh to the center.

Joel Lagace 12-28-2007 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by streetracer745 (Post 4015019)
i deffinetly havent Fed it up. it still handles good. and whats wrong with gettign a good looking body if im not a hard core racer? either way im probably gonna end up with a mazdaspeed 6 body

U asked i gave my opinion.. ;) The S2000 body is less then idea for going fast, its heavy(10mm wider then nessary) and its not a good handling body, it it where we in the racing circles would all be running them :)

So you asked the question of how to get better handling. The answer is use a better handling body. Again protoform makes great racing bodies that will handle well for bashers in the street.

Since u dont race your best option is this:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...148000-450.jpg

IT dont look pretty but it goes fast, bling is not always faster :)

UN4RACING 12-28-2007 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace (Post 4015448)
U asked i gave my opinion.. ;) The S2000 body is less then idea for going fast, its heavy(10mm wider then nessary) and its not a good handling body, it it where we in the racing circles would all be running them :)

So you asked the question of how to get better handling. The answer is use a better handling body. Again protoform makes great racing bodies that will handle well for bashers in the street.

Since u dont race your best option is this:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...148000-450.jpg

IT dont look pretty but it goes fast, bling is not always faster :)

Good advise with no rules. Or if you can organize a group to run them. That body will dial in any car.
Keep in mind foam tires and or a softer compound will work for tires. It sounds like your running a non prepped track and the softer compound will give a more prepped feel.
I like foams my self. TRY SOME NITRO SHOES.

K_B 12-28-2007 05:15 PM

I'm no on-road expert, but I can relate. I like the looks of the sports car bodies better than the racing sedan bodies. In our club races, we only run a stock class on a shorter track so the speeds aren't very high. With that in mind, downforce generated by a Mazda6 compared to the S2000 is most likely negligible. Tires/traction become more important. In any form of racing, half the battle is finding the right tires.

Joel Lagace 12-28-2007 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by K_B (Post 4015549)
I'm no on-road expert, but I can relate. I like the looks of the sports car bodies better than the racing sedan bodies. In our club races, we only run a stock class on a shorter track so the speeds aren't very high. With that in mind, downforce generated by a Mazda6 compared to the S2000 is most likely negligible. Tires/traction become more important. In any form of racing, half the battle is finding the right tires.

Your right tires is number one, but dont think because you run stock that the body dont matter. My club runs stock TC and on our competative wed night race sereis believe me the body makes a diference. Not one of us would opt for a mustang,honda s2000 or beetle body.We allow any 190mm body and its funny how no one ever shows up with a body other then a race designed TC shell :) If you dont beleive me just take your wing off for a night and let us know how well you think u did.. :) Dont

Waltrip55 12-28-2007 05:58 PM

I race TCS...and I thought my TB-02 handled good, until I took the NSX body off and put a Mazdaspeed 6 on it. Way different and easier to drive...less "loose".

streetracer745 12-28-2007 07:36 PM

well im not argueing with your statement, im just saying that i dont race and got the body for looks. thats all i was after. no serious performance. i might get the protoform for speed runs though. the one you showed. as for tires, i guess i will find the softest rubber i can...