Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blew up an EP4600 cell tonight..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i agree...after this i am now afraid to leave these things in my house and i will NEVER charge at home again...i am almost considering saying to hell with the hobby due to the fact that just about every battery out there has issues that could be deadly...

all i know is that i have been out of the hobby since the introduction of 3000s...i used to run with 2000s, 2400s and 3000s i never had a single cell issue....now i have 4 brand new packs that i dont think are wirth a dime...

anybody wanna buy a bunch of nice new TC equipment???
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghost28
i agree...after this i am now afraid to leave these things in my house and i will NEVER charge at home again...i am almost considering saying to hell with the hobby due to the fact that just about every battery out there has issues that could be deadly...

all i know is that i have been out of the hobby since the introduction of 3000s...i used to run with 2000s, 2400s and 3000s i never had a single cell issue....now i have 4 brand new packs that i dont think are wirth a dime...

I would not go as far as stopping my racing but I would go as far as trying to take precautions, after my episode I wont charge a cell with out it being contained some how. I like many others am considering just getting 2 lipo cells to run 1/12 scale and be done with it...
Old 12-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Now included with all EP and IB packs....
LMFAO... Now I gotta go get one
Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

It's a crappy situation with these cells at the moment. You have to leave some capacity in the cells if not using them that often, the longer they are not used, the more capacity you put in them. Because I only get to race about once a month, my cells have to be left completly charged or they will be totally dead by the time I go to use them. After reading the above posts, I really not that happy having 5 packs of fully charged cells sitting in their boxes in my spare room in the house! All the best guys, Chris.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

....when i started in the hobby at 12 years old i would run a pack...battery got hot......barely waited it for to cool........back on charger........run it.....over and over.......cells NEVER popped..........today they are pushing the envelope with mah capacity in basically the same size can.........is Trinity or the manufacturer going to assume responisbility when when one of these batteries blinds someone??? The mah capacity needs to be backed down so longevity can be had again. This is just one more reason to go nitro..........not to mention the cost.............nitro is cheap compared to electric................
Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

NiMH
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

You would not be the first one who has quite because of battery wars and crappy quality control.

I wonder how many more people will leave the hobby before soemone makes a logical desision.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

We tend to forget how things really used to be:

Batteries typically could not be used more than once in any 7-day period or risk losing enough run time to make you uncompetitive. Now you can use the same battery for an entire event without removing it from your car.

We used to use whatever battery Sanyo was manufacturing for tools. This was a HUGE complaint at the time. Now manufacturers are producing batteries specifically for R/C use.

Out of 12 yearly production lots, you were lucky to get more than one with cells good enough to sell as a matched pack. Now almost all cells make it for sale as matched packs.

Cells did not explode. Instead batteries overcharged due to poor peak detection circuitry, no peak detection (voltage charging with a charge cord), or a failed temperature sensor. The cells still overhcharged and spilled their guts destroying whatever they were sitting on.

Batteries were expensive. A competitive matched pack is now less than one was 10 years ago.

There was a great period with cells when GP entered the game and IB followed. it is easy to see where this would lead. In the past Sanyo was king, no competition (Panasonics were good for a year in a couple of classes). With IB and GP in a price and performance war, what else could we have expected? If IB decided to make a new long lasting cell with high voltage, long life, easy to use, and safe, we'd complain that it was $100.00. of course that battery exists, but that argument has been beaten to death. :-)

As bad as things seem now, there have been other periods where things were just as bad.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

i dont know...with my old 2400s and 3000s i always finished a race and NEVER had a cell issue...plus i used to charge my 2400s at 8-10amps when i was in a hurry....if i could buy 2400s or 3000s again i surely would....

to top it all off the matcher has not answered my e mail concerning this problem....i will give them a couple more days and then i will post there name and make sure i never buy a pack from them again...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i dont know...with my old 2400s and 3000s i always finished a race and NEVER had a cell issue...plus i used to charge my 2400s at 8-10amps when i was in a hurry....if i could buy 2400s or 3000s again i surely would....

to top it all off the matcher has not answered my e mail concerning this problem....i will give them a couple more days and then i will post there name and make sure i never buy a pack from them again...
Sometimes your best bet is to phone the company, some are like Trinity (who is known for not answering e-mails, but will answer the phone). I wouldn't wait. If its a small matcher, there is a national level race this coming week in WI that some may attend.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

the matcher answered all my e mails ASAP when i purchased the cells two weeks ago...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

We as racers have been the ones that have asked for the battery manufacturers to build cells that push the limits. We have been asking for voltage with runtime ever since the beginning. Now that we're getting both, a big group of people keeps beating the drum of how good the 3300's (or other cell) were.

The older GP and Sanyo cells that were so stable still had a set number of cycles that they lasted for without losing runtime. The old cells couldn't hold a candle to the voltage that we have now either. From what I've seen, old 4200's that have lost 50-60 seconds of runtime are still as good or better than the old cells. My memory of 3300's was gearing stock motors just enough to keep from dumping in 12th. Now, you'll probably burn up a stock motor before the pack will dump.

Go back to the way it was? Not for me...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unregistered, I don't like your logic. We've been asking for faster TC chassis, too, but I've never had a TC chassis split into many pieces during normal usage. I have had a subC cell explode under normal charging.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

well i think i am done....

just the thought of one of these things exploding the way the last one did is enogh for me...if you would have heard the noise it made and see what it did to the battery bar and the force the car moved with you would understand....

tonight is usually club racing and tomorrow practice but i have no desire to go have a repeat of yesterday...had the car been in my hand when this happened i may have lost a finger or worse yet an eye...especially since i now only have 3 packs and that would mean pushing one pack by running it twice in a night....

i am sorry i got back into the hobby right now...spend all this money for what...a chance at getting hurt or having my house burn down all for a silly toy car...i dont think so....
Old 12-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

....DRAMA! - this 'battery' deal is like a freakin SOAP OPERA!

I don't know WHO the matcher is - but this thread was started YESTERDAY - and you think you should have a response already...via email.

These company people in general are NOT just sitting by the computer waiting for people to EMAIL THEM and have a STAFF sitting there waiting to respond.

PICK UP THE PHONE - but if you don't get an answer on the FRIDAY before a Holdiday THIS time of year...don't be suprised... Depending on the size of the company, and who the matcher is..THEY May be NOT working until the middle of Next week.

Batteries that blow up SUCK But, I have no doubt this will be taken care of in time....(I just hope FOR THE R/C Industry...NOBODY Gets HURT before then..or some KID loses an EYE or FINGER....Or WORSE!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.