R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #31
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you actually start to enjoy the hobby and it gets you hooked, then it doesn't matter what car you start with, as I guarantee you will be buying another chassis as soon as you can. I would however look for a used car for your first. Electronics on the other hand, you will want to get good stuff right away. Because if you don't it will just hinder getting that new chassis that you will get. There have been good suggestions for cars to get but I can't comment on most of them as I have only run associated and x-ray for tc's. But I can tell you that an older x-ray will definitely be better than an older associated.

But as I said above, if you get hooked you will buy another.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

If you are just getting into touring. I would say start with a used belt driven car. Many times you can buy a good used car and alot of spare parts for less than the retail price of the car. I know that there are alot of shaft driven cars that go cheap and there is a reason why they are cheap. Check around locally for a car, then check the froums and ebay.

Once you have some wheel time (about 1 to 2 years) in sedan racing start looking into buying a new sedan to keep up or if sedan is not your fancy see what other classes you can run.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Talking TCs

AE was there once but you will find yourself a couple of laps down to a belt driven car these days anyway happy racing.
RDX/PHI 09 Corally-Emtron 30amp Power Supply-KO Helios-Spektrum-Speed Passion
Graphics Alive
flashgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #34
Tech Elite

T2 series of course
t4m1y4niac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #35
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My vote is for either a Tamiya TA-05 kit ($120 to $180) which comes with motor, body, wheels and tires(good for playing around with, bad for racing). Or the Tamiya TA-05R ($220 to $250) which comes with all the blue bling you need including the best shocks in RC, but no body, motor, wheels or tires.

These TA-05s are great cars to learn with, build and race. They are very competitive at the club racer level and very durable. Sure they don't have carbon fiber chassis but they have all the chassis tuning options of cars that cost twice as much. For $150 for a kit you can be tooling around the track with the big boys once you hone in your driving skills.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #36
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

the fk05 xray might be the best car ever as far as first cars go. fast, tough, they handle great, and it uses a conventional battery pack, you can find them pretty cheap, and still get parts for them.......
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #38
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default what I did when I got started

I went to the local track I wanted to race at for a month or so and saw what cars were being run there. I started searching ebay for the car I decided to get that car happened to be a schumacher mi2. I found a GREAT deal on a used carpet run mi2 and purchased it off of ebay for less than half the price of a new kit. (this car is a tank as far a slamming the walls!)

I will agree that once you hone your driving skills and feel good you will probably want to upgrade your car as I did. The Schumacher mi3. I find it is a good idea to run a car that is ran at your local track as you WILL need spare parts that you don't have in your box. Trust me!

I also find support from the MFG. to be important and I am NOT bashing any company here but what I am saying is that Schumacher customer support is second to none.

Just my two cents. I hope it helped.

Happy Racing
anotherrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I second (or third, fourth) the suggestion of a TA05 - good value for money, Tamiya is a sound brand. I've had mine for about 6 months and it is great fun. Takes a beating and keeps on going.

You don't have to go down the path of the blue bling for it if you are concerned about the cost factor, I've kept my reasonably simple, and it is fun to drive, and as I'm learning more about tires, suspension, diff's etc, it allows me to progress with this knowledge.

Ease of parts is a big plus for me in my area. This was important to me, but may not be as big as a concern for you.
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote