Tekin R1 ESC

Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
From what has been posted the problems with high turn motors are only occuring in oval racing. I'll be road racing so won't have near the roll out and should not run into any issues that is prompting the construction of the RS. Also from what people have reported thus far with the R1 the detection has been anything but "very poor". I understand sensored and sensorless refers to the method of detection...however a motor made specifically for sensorless will not have the harness at all. If the harness is removeable that is fine but it is more then just a case of not plugging it in. The only BL setup I owned was a very early one and the harness was not removeable from the motor and I would rather not cut the harness wires off. As for monitoring motor temps...That isn't something I am particularly looking for.
You missed the point.

A motor is not going to be any better for sensorless detection just because it hasn't got sensors. So how are Tekin going to make a sensorless specific 13.5? The only motors with hard wired wires are novak which could be coiled up if not plugged in.

For the money an esc costs I would think you would want to know it's going to be flexible and work in whatever 1/10 class you want to run. There is talk of 17.5t stock class for example.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JevUK
You missed the point.

A motor is not going to be any better for sensorless detection just because it hasn't got sensors. So how are Tekin going to make a sensorless specific 13.5? The only motors with hard wired wires are novak which could be coiled up if not plugged in.

For the money an esc costs I would think you would want to know it's going to be flexible and work in whatever 1/10 class you want to run. There is talk of 17.5t stock class for example.
No I got the point fine. I'm not saying it is going to be better...just not significantly worse as your comment of the detection seems to indicate.

I've said many times allready I am not using this for 1/10th...this is for a 1/12th pan car where we run a 19T spec and are going to allow 13.5 in that class. Plus I am the race director at the race so if I need to change the rules...I will. I don't race 1/10th scale...personally I don't like TCs. I'm a pan car guy and have been for many years. Plus I run dedicated electronics in my cars so flexibility isn't much of an issue either. As long as the harness can be unplugged from the motor that will work.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

so if I need to change the rules...I will
Yeah I've met race directors like that before

Jesus man talk about splitting hairs.

Ok you hate senors wires with a passion. Ban brushless, problem solved
Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Well I intend to run brushless either way...but I would prefer to do it without sensor wires. Every 1/12th I've seen with a sensored BL system installed looks messy with the wiring and that is something I am rather anal about myself. If the sensor wires were adjustable in length I would have a lot less issue with them, but to add solder posts or tabs for the sensor wires would make the ESC larger.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
That's what the GM does.
Thanks, I read up about them and that sounds awesome.

Too bad the $$ is poor against the Euro. Time to hoard all the dollars you can for when it bounces back

InspGadgt, have you tried coiling the wires? Wrap them tightly around an allen wrench and they will coil up nicely. If you don't like wires, it would drive you mad to keep a Super class crawler neat!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Rookie

dbl post
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

[QUOTE=johnrobholmes;4061019]Thanks, I read up about them and that sounds awesome.

Too bad the $$ is poor against the Euro. Time to hoard all the dollars you can for when it bounces back

InspGadgt, have you tried coiling the wires? Wrap them tightly around an allen wrench and they will coil up nicely. If you don't like wires, it would drive you mad to keep a Super class crawler neat![/QUOT

Well if the harness wires were in a ribbon like servo wires coiling would work a lot better. It's not that I don't like wires...I don't like messy wiring. I've seen many crawlers wired quite nicely.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
If I had my choice on a system, it would be a combination of sensored and sensorless design...

... Having a mix would allow rock solid startup every time and variable timing to keep the motor running as cool and powerful as possible.
Yes the ultimate solution!!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dont really feel like going back through the posts.

Has anyone had any issues with this unit good or bad?
Seriously considering getting one (as soon as they are available).
any comments would be appreciated gentlemen.

DAve.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbboy
Dont really feel like going back through the posts.

Has anyone had any issues with this unit good or bad?
Seriously considering getting one (as soon as they are available).
any comments would be appreciated gentlemen.

DAve.
Dave, I would go back through the posts. Sounds like in some cases (10.5/13.5 racing, oval, others??) its not the best solution for now.

Terry, sounds like MRT has something up their sleeve?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi or8ital, yes but no details. I will reply on the new MRT Brushless ESC thread that I've just noticed has been started.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
No I got the point fine. I'm not saying it is going to be better...just not significantly worse as your comment of the detection seems to indicate.

I've said many times allready I am not using this for 1/10th...this is for a 1/12th pan car where we run a 19T spec and are going to allow 13.5 in that class. Plus I am the race director at the race so if I need to change the rules...I will. I don't race 1/10th scale...personally I don't like TCs. I'm a pan car guy and have been for many years. Plus I run dedicated electronics in my cars so flexibility isn't much of an issue either. As long as the harness can be unplugged from the motor that will work.
Hey InspGadgt,

Are you the one who runs the race at Sandy Fleming's? If so, I think I met you once before because I remember that the organizer liked pan cars.

I had one of my TCs set up to run a silver can, but my Sundays became busy so I became unable to attend any races and went back to brushless. It'd be cool if you guys started doing brushless!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Team Tekin

The RS has hit the track and worked perfectly. Maybe it is time for a RS thread so the info it is not buried here. Since the concept picture has already been bootlegged from our private driver forum and is now public, we might as well tell you all about it. It should not be long before we are in production. Unless we damage our protos during testing you might even see them show up at a major upcoming race....... Just for fun.

Tekin Prez
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
The RS has hit the track and worked perfectly. Maybe it is time for a RS thread so the info it is not buried here. Since the concept picture has already been bootlegged from our private driver forum and is now public, we might as well tell you all about it. It should not be long before we are in production. Unless we damage our protos during testing you might even see them show up at a major upcoming race....... Just for fun.

Tekin Prez
ok so let me get this straight.im new to learning bl stuff.
so the r1 esc is not senosred esc?and if i use a orion 13.5 which is sensored.so it wont be able to tell where the rotor position is and wont be able to roll forward to fast from a start correct....?

maybe i should just wait for the rs to come out.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morris
ok so let me get this straight.im new to learning bl stuff.
so the r1 esc is not senosred esc?and if i use a orion 13.5 which is sensored.so it wont be able to tell where the rotor position is and wont be able to roll forward to fast from a start correct....?

maybe i should just wait for the rs to come out.
Morris.....The tekin prez has said from an earlier post to wait for the RS if running 10.5, 13.5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.