Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin R1 ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

If I had my choice on a system, it would be a combination of sensored and sensorless design. Even the best sensorless ESC's have hiccups at low rpm's, and sensored driven motors have a lower efficiency at higher rpms. My choice would be a system that started a sensored motor up, and then at around 1/4kv switched over to sensorless. Some CNC machines use this to allow fine control at low speeds, and high efficiency when moving fast. Having a mix would allow rock solid startup every time and variable timing to keep the motor running as cool and powerful as possible.

I agree that sensorless should be allowed in ALL racing classes, even stock classes. There is no difference teching any 3 phase permanent magnet motor from another, an electric motor is still an electric motor.

And for the record, the mamba max does not run Novak motors well because they are slotted. The mamba was designed to run slotless two pole motors, and that is what it runs best.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
If I had my choice on a system, it would be a combination of sensored and sensorless design. Even the best sensorless ESC's have hiccups at low rpm's, and sensored driven motors have a lower efficiency at higher rpms. My choice would be a system that started a sensored motor up, and then at around 1/4kv switched over to sensorless. Some CNC machines use this to allow fine control at low speeds, and high efficiency when moving fast. Having a mix would allow rock solid startup every time and variable timing to keep the motor running as cool and powerful as possible.

I agree that sensorless should be allowed in ALL racing classes, even stock classes. There is no difference teching any 3 phase permanent magnet motor from another, an electric motor is still an electric motor.

And for the record, the mamba max does not run Novak motors well because they are slotted. The mamba was designed to run slotless two pole motors, and that is what it runs best.
That's what the GM does.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Well better go back to brushed setups as even sensored ESC cog ocasionally.
Does it? Not for me in 4 years of running novak's

One of the reason a lot of team drivers held off running brushless was because it did not have the right feel. Now we have esc and motor coming along with tunabilty I think most are happy with them.

The Tekin R1 has some promising features for race tunning. 13 step drag brake, 12 step current limiter, 13 step brake.

Be good to have current limiter return, I rememeber a great speedo I had a lot of success with many years ago that had an infinitly adjustable limit .
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JevUK
Does it? Not for me in 4 years of running novak's

One of the reason a lot of team drivers held off running brushless was because it did not have the right feel. Now we have esc and motor coming along with tunabilty I think most are happy with them.

The Tekin R1 has some promising features for race tunning. 13 step drag brake, 12 step current limiter, 13 step brake.

Be good to have current limiter return, I rememeber a great speedo I had a lot of success with many years ago that had an infinitly adjustable limit .
Yes
Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default R1 Not R1 Pro

I've read thru the entire thread and would like to know from those that have the R1 (not the R1 Pro) is the R1 a good choice to run for 13.5 motors for foam 6 cell touring car? And recommendations on a BL motor to run with this would also be great.

Most guys at my track are running the LRP TC Spec with Novak motor. I've had great luck with previous Tekin ESCs (been running a G11Pro for the past two seasons), it's awesome. I'm looking to stay with Tekin, what do you all think or the R1? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Same question as Electro
What's the consensus about the R1 Pro.
Worth getting or not? Is it brushless evolution, brushless solution or zip.

I've tried to read thru the post but can't really get a feel.

How many have used it? with a 13.5 Novak.
any definitive probs?
I've waited a long time for this to come out solely for the size but don't want to make the jump if it's not going to sync up correctly or give me probs.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hk was tested
YMC Championship Final
MOD Class TQ & A1

www.rcmarket.com.hk
Attached Thumbnails Tekin R1 ESC-20071230_32b818535f40817bc8.jpg   Tekin R1 ESC-p1150771s.jpg   Tekin R1 ESC-p1150810s.jpg   Tekin R1 ESC-p1150826s.jpg  
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Hk was tested
YMC Championship Final
MOD Class TQ & A1

www.rcmarket.com.hk
From looking at the gearing either you race inside a shoe box or that is not a 13.5 turn motor

Congrats to him for winning mod class anyway
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Team Tekin

Sensored and sensorless are both just tools for us to use to build the best products. Both have advantages and disadvantages which would make one conclude that a combo unit is best for many applications.

The R1 is designed for and works best with the Redline slotless motors. The R1works really well with low turn sensored/slotted motors. It runs the higher turn sensored/slotted motors extremely well, but does not start them perfectly. Users have figured out they can use huge gearing with these motors really demonstrating the incredible torque available with BL motors. These high rollouts make starting issues and rolling back issues more difficult to deal with.

We are willing to admit it…. We thought we could get it done sensorless and we came up a little short in a few applications. In response to this problem we added the sensor plug. It truly is pretty easy stuff and has not taken long. We are already running the protos on the bench and hope to be on the track all weekend beating on it hard.

The RS sensored unit will take care of all racing applications regardless of cells or gearing. The RS will also be the first speedo available to take advantage of the new RS232 communication on the Spectrum radio.

The R1 will take care of most racing applications and all the rest of the market. Sensorless systems will dominate RC regardless of what the race community decides. The majority of the mini systems, 1/10 rtr systems and 1/8 systems are already sensorless.

However we are a racing company and we will play within any rules. We are building a full line of legal sensored/slotted motors that will work with all sensored controllers. We have also made our controller capable of running all the acceptable race motors. What ever it takes…. We are here for the long haul.

Lets not forget that the R1 is extremely small, has no heatsink or fans, a ton of onboard features and as of yet has had very very very few failures… except for our failure to anticipate the huge rollouts many are using with the sloooow motors. Whether or not we are getting our feedback from the windings or sensors it is still a very robust and efficient design. We have even been racing our 1/8 buggy and truggy with the R1 using 4s lipo and larger motors with no issues. The real 1/8 scale version, Rx8, is coming. The R1 and the RS are good engineering and solid products that will likely last longer than the car you put them in.

Tekin Prez
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is there a hold-up on getting the redline motors out or should they be out soon (or were they released and I missed it??)
Old 01-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Team Tekin

632 - 537 - 448 - 362 are all available. The rest are due shortly. Most preorders were for the speedo and systems, not a lot of people had motors ordered so it will take a while for them to be on the shelves. Most had ordered the 13.5 and the 10.5 which we are not releasing until we release the RS controller.

Stormer has all the motors and systems as of today I think. We are shipping everyday as fast we can.

Tekin Prez
Old 01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
632 - 537 - 448 - 362 are all available. The rest are due shortly. Most preorders were for the speedo and systems, not a lot of people had motors ordered so it will take a while for them to be on the shelves. Most had ordered the 13.5 and the 10.5 which we are not releasing until we release the RS controller.

Stormer has all the motors and systems as of today I think. We are shipping everyday as fast we can.

Tekin Prez
so the R1 Pro works well with Orion brushless motors?? thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin

Tekin Prez
I gota ask...how soon for the RS version?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

oh wow, no 10.5 or 13.5 until then? Ouch. What is the reasoning for that? Seems thats what most people run these days. Guess I will need to hold off on the R1 and wait for the RS.

Is there any info on the RS? Will it be roughly the same size as the R1?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
oh wow, no 10.5 or 13.5 until then? Ouch. What is the reasoning for that? Seems thats what most people run these days. Guess I will need to hold off on the R1 and wait for the RS.

Is there any info on the RS? Will it be roughly the same size as the R1?
Here is a pic of the RS from a few pages back. It looks like the same size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.