Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) >

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Paul,
Seeing as you've changed Chassis recently, what (if any) is the single biggest design difference that you have noticed between the 2 companies. Also, how has it affected the car both interms of set up,(does one car need a much stiffer set up over the other, and what design feature has brought this on) and driving feel. (In reference to rubber set up.)
Cheers
Simon
Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul, can you give any insight on how you set up shocks for foam carpet. Do you use thick oil and large piston holes or thin oil and small holes or does it matter ? How often do you rebuild your shocks ? Whats your explaination on using the foam insert above the bladder.
Thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Gravity RC

Thanks Guy.

Bluey_74: Over two years ago i did race foe Kyosho, but at the time they did not have a car that was in production so it was more me just throwing something together, at the time they did not have the stallion. before that i raced for losi but only got to race the jrxs one time, so i dont have alot to compair with. But i do help alot of people at Trackside so i get to see and work on several different manufactures cars, Its no secret that Xray has the best manufactured car, meaning that the tolerance of each pece weather its molded or machined really is better than anything i see at the track, the plastic that they use is also the best i have seen. not to mention that when you buy a kit it for the most part comes with all the options and everything that you need. Obviously i race for them so it is no shock that im saying all of this, but i could not amagine that anyone who knows the facts (even other team drivers) could argue with the post.

jag88: My stand by shock set-up is 2hole front 3hole rear with Xray 450Cst oil all the way around, with white rear and pepto 30lb springs in the front. all in all im not vary good with shock stuff and i normally dont change my oil or piston unless if somebody in the team finds something out, but im working on getting better. The bladder and the foam definately makes a difference but honestly im not sure exactly what it dose, i know that the bladder flexes when the shock is compressed to help handle the preasure and that you can control the amount of flex the with foam but im sure that their is alot more to it.
normally we run the stock foam all the way around. lately i have been running about 40% rebound.
I normally wont rebuild my shocks atall as long as they feel good and i dont want to change the oil or piston, I have shocks that have been laying around for over a year and they still feel good.
but as for the big hole/thick oil Vs small hole/thin oil I know that it changes the pack of the shock but I could not tell you anything about what effects that has.

Sorry I didnt help much, paul
Old 12-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Paulie- Happy New Year to you and the family! Good luck at the Novak and I will see ya in about a month in Fla.!

Anthony Saunders
Old 12-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Paul, what is the difference in the shock build process when trying to establish 40% rebound compared to a 75% rebound?
Old 12-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi Paul, given a choice would you rather run a 4.5BL with 6-cell or 3.5BL with 5-cell (assuming both are allowed for a particular race). Noticed in last year's reedy that was an option given to the racers in invite. And why would you choose one over the other? I ask because i plan to join this year's TITC and was contemplating if i should start working on a 5-cell/3.5 set up already or stick with my old 6-cell set up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Not to take away from Pauls thread in any way, as I respect this sort of thing and his willingness to do it, but Id like to offer a tiny bit of help on this one.

Get the XXX Main Chassis Tunning Guide! Its a great reference tool! It's easy to understand and there is even a cheat sheet or cliff note sort of chart in the back. This will suggest exactly what to try for any common handling woe you may be having.

There's no sure substitue for having a proven pro such as Paul give you pointers but this book will help, that's for sure.

i have the book but if u notice u can change different areas of the car for the same effect in handling. i was wondering which one u start with.

thanks Paul.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Gravity RC

You too Anthony, Thanks alot.

Kraig: when i bleed my shocks I always check the rebound with the piston at 4 hole open (clicker shocks), so 75% rebound on 4hole would be only like 15% on 1hole. Obviously the more oil you bleed out the less your rebound will be. Other than that Once again that is about all i know about it. as for what more rebound will do to the handling im not too sure about atall. I have heared on very low bite tracks it is good to run more rebound for more traction. but i did not test it.

Roborat: with 5cell top speed is not effected compaired to 6cell, but the low end power just suffers. so 5cell is good in alot of different situations,like If run time is not an issue, or traction is not good. Usually the weight limit helps also because you can be much lighter with 5cell, and the car seems to corner faster. so if run time is an issue i would run 6cell because a 4.5 6cell will run about 30sec longer than a 3.5 5cell. (motors set up to go the same speed).

Island losi: no problem.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey paul
you have a good 007 rubber carpet set-up on the x-ray site
also have you run the jaco greens yet
how many runs/which is the best run on the rubber tires on carpet???
thanks
Chris
Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Gravity RC

Chris08527: I would look at some set-ups from some of the guys in Europe on the Xray site.
Yes i have run the jaco greens, they have a lot of steering so when you go from most tires to them you will have to take some front grip away from the car. On carpet tires dont slow down after 1 run like on asphalt, I have had Jaco greens that were just as fast on my 15th run as on my first. But if i had to pick a run I usually like the second run on carpet. I have only run handout tires for the last 5 years so i dont know what the hot Tire/wheel/insert is anymore. but i would try to get everyone at your place to go to a controlled tire, that is what we do at my track and everyone loves it because they dont have to glue tires and they wear much better and you dont have to try every tire with every insert to be fast.
Thanks, paul
Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

thanks paul
yea the jaco green is like the spec rubber tire right now for many of the clubs around my area simple because it is the handout at the birds
Old 12-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Paul, is there anything special you did to your T2 for carpet racing when you had it? Modifications?

p.s. Happy new year.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Hey paul, on your 008, what aluminum option parts are you running?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got a question for ya... since the oval is set up currently how come Barry came in Friday?

You guys have some team cuddling and pillow fights to get out of the way? I'll ask Turd for a full report...

Beavis
Old 12-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Tickle fight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.