R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #151
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

Hi Paul,
What would you do to stop the rear of a touring car dumping over on itself in the corners. The car is pretty good on most of the track but the problem really shows up in a couple of quick left right sections. It gets out of shape quite easily and I have to back right out of the throttle. I don't want to lose any steering though as you really need it on the track I race at.
It is foam tire racing on ashfelt.

Team Tekin www.teamtekin.com
B-Fast R/C Performance www.bfastrc.com
AKA www.raceaka.com
Ryper Hobbies www.ryperhobbies.com.au
Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 AM   #152
Tech Master

Hi paul iam from the UK.
Happy new year to you also.
I am very interested in set ups to quite a deep level IMHO.
My question to you though is almost every so called set up guide i read it always talks about weight transfere and how that produces grip or using weight transfere to balance a car out.
Now the way these *guides* sound is that more weight transere equals more grip,upto a certain point if you go too far.
Now my question to you is how do you know wether you gone too far one way or too far the other.
also i would say from my own personal experiance and also by yours by the sounds of it,that using the guide theory actually does the opposit.
if your car is producing too much grip,or even if your racing indoors carpet and the grip comes right up alot what sort of changes do you make?
if the cars grip rolling i would in most cases try using a softer spring all round on just on the front.
if the car is grip rolling bad id probably go softer all round,if its only like ,starting to go,then prob just up front.
what is YOUR opinion on this?
Iam not too fond of set-up guides as they can be missleading,i think you just gotta go to a track and get the car how it feels and rives for you.
also when you go to different tracks do you have like a starting set-up,for different track types,eg carpet ,asphelt etc.
i know its alot of questions but it will help alot.
Much More Racing
LRP electronic
Old 12-31-2007, 04:18 AM   #153
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You too Anthony, Thanks alot.

Kraig: when i bleed my shocks I always check the rebound with the piston at 4 hole open (clicker shocks), so 75% rebound on 4hole would be only like 15% on 1hole. Obviously the more oil you bleed out the less your rebound will be. Other than that Once again that is about all i know about it. as for what more rebound will do to the handling im not too sure about atall. I have heared on very low bite tracks it is good to run more rebound for more traction. but i did not test it.

Roborat: with 5cell top speed is not effected compaired to 6cell, but the low end power just suffers. so 5cell is good in alot of different situations,like If run time is not an issue, or traction is not good. Usually the weight limit helps also because you can be much lighter with 5cell, and the car seems to corner faster. so if run time is an issue i would run 6cell because a 4.5 6cell will run about 30sec longer than a 3.5 5cell. (motors set up to go the same speed).

Island losi: no problem.
thanks paul! and Happy New Year to you!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #154
Gravity RC

Ryan14: i cant recall anything trick that i used to do. we had some great set-ups for the car but i did not consistantly run any hand made parts or anything too different from the kit stuff.

BlueBird: I dont always use aluminum parts on my cars, most of the team does run the aluminum rear hubs. lately some of the team has been using the 2deg aluminum rear hubs and liking them alot. also alot of the team uses the aluminum front steering blocks and just a couple use the alu caster blocks.
all the parts are very good and i do feel like the added stiffness of the aluminum parts can help on high bite tracks and obviously its all impossible to break.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #155
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Happy New Year Paul!

Can you build a indoor carpet track in Eastern PA? I miss racing!

Xray and Serpent....very dusty!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #156
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is it true you run a spool in the REAR of your car????

Please explain.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #157
Gravity RC

Trf racer: I do agree with pretty much everything that you said in your post and i also think that you are spot on with the grip rolling. I think that the obvious answer is the best one, when you can see the car roll alot over one end or the other then give up traction, you have gone too far and you need to add some sway bar or stop the dramatic roll over that end how ever that may be. This more so for rubber tires, because too much roll in the wrong way will result in wearing out your tires or overheating them. generally my big sway bar rubber tire setups will have a more even tire temp at the end of your run(not saying that this is the key). The problem is with all of this is that their is an endless amount of factors that will decide what you can get away with, and why. so i have no good answer.

I do have an idea of what type of car to build for certain races but normally im pretty far off from where i end up at the end of the weekend. so im not as good at that as many others. Thanks TRF

Roborat: no problem.

Thanks John, you too.

Beavis353: i wont lie, I have tried it but i dont think that it is exactly the ticket Atall. but if you are curious to try it, i would like to see it.LOL
Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #158
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i kno how far forward or back u mount the body affects steering but what about how u cut the body? looking at the Mazda speed 6, it has alot of front spoiler. looking at the pics from the euros and reedy some guys only left 2 mm of spoiler while others had the full 6 mm or so. does this affect downforce? what about the height between the front and rear mounts?i.e body mounted with the nose pointing down. how does this change the handling vs. a body that is fairly level? if rake is good for steering then would it make i difference if CUT OUT the body with rake to it vs. cutting out level and mounting it with rake?

lol thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #159
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sean R

Hey paul, good luck at the Novak Race
Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #160
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Lemieuxer!! What the deal boy How's the fam doing and mom?? I tried callin you the other day but your celly must have been changed again for like the 200th time PM me your new digits when you get a chance!

www.rcamerica.com - www.teamxray.com - www.powerpushbatteries.com - www.fantomracing.com - www.kimbrough-products.com - www.diggitydesigns.com
Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #161
Tech Master

so Paulie...

Are you looking forward to helping your new team-mate build his car, and work on a set up?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #162
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoshR 85 View Post
so Paulie...

Are you looking forward to helping your new team-mate build his car, and work on a set up?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALOLOLOL!! Everyone with a TC5 just breathed a sigh of relief when PL's new teammate got the 008 after his rubber race :P

Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #163
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul, I'm very interested in your thoughts on dialing in the 008US on foam-carpet for mod racing. Specifically, what's a good starting setup, and what have you learned? What tire diameters do you stay in?

When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #164
Gravity RC

Hi Everyone. My apologies for not being on here for the last week or so, I had the Novak Touring car champs all last week and just never found the time. overall it went pretty well with me finishing 3rd in both classes, I learned a ton but too little too late to win. congrats to all the winners.

Island Losi: I normally run My bodys pretty level, even though the body is level normally you will have to cut the front up a bit frurther just because the front always drags a bit more. I think that if you rake the body foreaard( front lower than the rear) the car will normally have a little more of a push. if you rake it back (run the front up a bit) the car shoule have more steering. but i never liked it that way just because it drives weird or inconsistent. For rubber tires i usually run the body where it looks right. not too far foreward or back, not too high or low on either end, and the wing is usually back atleast 4mms from the standard wing mounts. I think that the Protoform mazda 6 is the best overall rubber tire body.

Adamge: with jaco tires i normally start them at 58mms and run them down, for racing i will true them straight to around 57. I will have my set up from the novak race on the Xray site soon, I got the car very good at the end of the weekend but it was just too late to have a chance to win. i suggest to atart their.

Thanks, paul.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #165
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What motor combo's did the trinity guys run in mod up there? Still trying to decide on what to get for the Nats.

Closed Thread