Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Multiple tracks in an area - good or bad? >

Multiple tracks in an area - good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple tracks in an area - good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Multiple tracks in an area - good or bad?

Was wondering others opinion on this. We are blessed in the Cincinnati / Dayton Ohio area of having several tracks to choose from. We have 2 summer parking lot tracks, 2 carpet tracks, fantastic ourdoor nitro track, and some off-road tracks. I can see the pros/cons of having more and less tracks.

Pros More Tracks:
- More places to race
- If one closes you have other places to race

Cons:
- Some of the programs struggle since it steal racers away
- Seems to be clicks and unfriendly (sometimes) competition between the tracks

So which is better? Which would you rather have?

Im torn on this. I love to see all the tracks but at the same time I'd like to race against a bunch of people. In other words Id rather have 1 track everyone raced at and have A-D mains rather then a track with just an A (or if its a good week a B main).
Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Go where the competition is, if you would like to get better. Go where you like to have fun. Talk to all the racers that race and get their opinions on what they like. No matter what there will be clicks.

Our local track has tried to make changes, based on suggestions by racers to get entries... only to find out that the changes made does not increase entries!!!

Last edited by 1fastdude; 12-18-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Id just like to go to any track at this point . Life has gotten in my way of racing lately. I hear what you are saying buts its hypothetical. I guess I feel shelfish in wishing everyone in the area raced together....
Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Id just like to go to any track at this point . Life has gotten in my way of racing lately. I hear what you are saying buts its hypothetical. I guess I feel shelfish in wishing everyone in the area raced together....
Totally agree. I wish we all ran together also, but it just doesn't happen. I have a track 20 minutes from my house, but I drive over 2 hours to Cincy to race.

I am getting ready to start running rubber tires again. You guys need to at least come down and give it a go once or twice. It is an awesome time.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

I will definately be heading down there come the new year (everything should slow down for me by then). I'll see who I can convince to come with me. Im trying!! Ive actually been to neither carpet track yet.

What motor are people using for the rubber tire class? 13.5?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I will definately be heading down there come the new year (everything should slow down for me by then). I'll see who I can convince to come with me. Im trying!! Ive actually been to neither carpet track yet.

What motor are people using for the rubber tire class? 13.5?
Nobody really runs rubber tires to be honest. The few that do or did run the 13.5, but we can do whatever. I should have my rubber tc done late January. We will have to hook up and get a group together.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

If its like most years there will be a lot more Dayton guys racing in Jan through the spring. Hopefully we can get a healthy class going.

Now just gotta figure out what I need to do to my car after it sat for 6 months...
Old 12-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Tech Champion

I would be happier having a choice of somewhere to race, different scene and different people.

I hear ya with the numbers thinning out though to cover them all, at least if one club closes for any reason you still have some racing though, that really is the main issue
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Very timely thread... we are wondering the same thing.... we have just completed a month ago what we think is one of the nicest and largest carpet tracks in the US. had our first race November 7,8,9. 64 Racers 90 plus entries.... it was beyond our expectations, EVERYONE had a great time and could not stop talking about the track and when they could come back.

Since then we have had (5) thurs night club races and some open Saturdays, with.......................... count them 0 people show up.

We are out in the country a bit but only 25 miles from Portland. We have local guys driving even further to run at a track in Portland, and even down to Salem to run at tracks that have been open and established....

We also have a beautiful outdoor track with much the same results.... not sure what it is, did we piss they guys off? are they jealous of the guys with their own race tracks? or is it a strong alliance with the existing tracks and they are afraid to stray away from their home tracks???/

till then it's just us three guys testing and practicing in a empty building………………..
Attached Thumbnails Multiple tracks in an area - good or bad?-dsc_3170.jpg   Multiple tracks in an area - good or bad?-dsc_3169.jpg   Multiple tracks in an area - good or bad?-dsc_0955.jpg  
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Great tracks, I would be there in a flash if it wasnt for the air miles LOL.

Racers in general are very unpredictable when it comes to racing at one place all the time as in that some will and some won't.

One thing can change my mind quickly where I race though, and thats our great weather. After racing on sunday I have vowed to only race indoors until it warms up, racing in temperatures of +2 deg C all day outside takes some getting used to, not forgetting endless cups of hot drinks
Old 12-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

A local track should work on developing the classes intended for new people. Having two tracks in Springfield lasted for three years (on road just closed this month). It worked because one did Dirt offroad and the other did carpet/asphalt. I beleive people who are "in to" this hobby will travel to get better and race those guys who are sponsered or need to be. but growth needs to be below that level... RTR or something that encourages people to dump what little fun money they have....Most business is this area are WAY DOWN ! no sales... people know about the tracks but getting started to race is a chunck of change....

Rant over........Lots of tracks is a good thing...if they can develop a following...new and experienced people both
Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by scootr117
A local track should work on developing the classes intended for new people. Having two tracks in Springfield lasted for three years (on road just closed this month). It worked because one did Dirt offroad and the other did carpet/asphalt. I beleive people who are "in to" this hobby will travel to get better and race those guys who are sponsered or need to be. but growth needs to be below that level... RTR or something that encourages people to dump what little fun money they have....Most business is this area are WAY DOWN ! no sales... people know about the tracks but getting started to race is a chunck of change....

Rant over........Lots of tracks is a good thing...if they can develop a following...new and experienced people both
I agree, every niche should be served. Like an off-road track and on-road track I dont see as much competition to each other. Its things like 2 on-road carpet track 20 min from each other that I was more referring to. In the case of the 2 Cincy carpet tracks it does seem like they are going after different crowds. The novice laid back racer at one vs the longtime racers at the other. Thats not necessarily a bad thing as long as there is someone experienced racing with the novice guys to help them out (but at the same time not discourage them by lapping them 20 times). Its a fine line.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

If I'd started racing at a place that was all top notch racers with years of experience who repeatedly gave me a stomping every raceday........I'd never stayed with it. In the three years I've been racing...the best has been the sportsman class at THS. See for me...I just a limited amount I can spend on a hobby... And driving and running equipment to the edge of it's limit is out of the question. THS and that spec/sportsman/breakout class did everything it was ment to....every week there were 6 or more guys with a actual shot at winning.....one even had a RTR.

Dayton speaking....the two outdoor tracks are like 5 mile apart?? The difference I experienced by doing them both one......Competion levels.....HTU is there to enjoy the hobby.....THS guys are further into the hobby and want to win...
Cinncinati....pretty much the same thing...

What is our areas' strength is this diversity.....I sorta compare it to Nascar...
The smaller laid-back tracks are like the Kil Kare/ Shadybowl racers....for the fun and thrill types. Springfield hobby shop was a great example..as well as HTU

The mid level. well I compare to the Busch Series...places like THS/Monroe...Some great drivers but not alot of big time sponsorships

Top level.....Cup series...Joyce, TSR....well the big time...most of these guys travel to national events and have sponsor lists like a phone book...

People in our area can gain experience at the smaller tracks and enjoy themselves...find out they have some talent or work at it real hard and move up to the mid levels and if they really get into it well there is the big time....with all the choices it gives guys like me a chance to test myself against world champs and if I can hang..then get deeper in......if not...well I'll be another Kenny Wallace
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBLove

I am getting ready to start running rubber tires again. You guys need to at least come down and give it a go once or twice. It is an awesome time.

If you ever get up to Fort Wayne, In. check out Summit raceway. Good track, good comp in rubba' class www.summitrcraceway.com (the website dont do it justice, its like 5 years old)
Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916
Very timely thread... we are wondering the same thing.... we have just completed a month ago what we think is one of the nicest and largest carpet tracks in the US. had our first race November 7,8,9. 64 Racers 90 plus entries.... it was beyond our expectations, EVERYONE had a great time and could not stop talking about the track and when they could come back.

Since then we have had (5) thurs night club races and some open Saturdays, with.......................... count them 0 people show up.

We are out in the country a bit but only 25 miles from Portland. We have local guys driving even further to run at a track in Portland, and even down to Salem to run at tracks that have been open and established....

We also have a beautiful outdoor track with much the same results.... not sure what it is, did we piss they guys off? are they jealous of the guys with their own race tracks? or is it a strong alliance with the existing tracks and they are afraid to stray away from their home tracks???/

till then it's just us three guys testing and practicing in a empty building………………..
you need to bring that track down here to southern california. id be all over that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.