R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Nice track MAD! That would be awesome to race on. However it seems too large for a US carpet track. At least for the typical carpet tracks around the east coast. I would love it however. Rubber tire would be awesome on it.

Well we have 3 outdoor TC tracks within 1.5 hours of each other. 2 permanent tracks and 1 new parking lot track. One track held the 2003 Roar Onroad Nats. After that, seems things died down at that track. But a few dedicated racers helped bring it back up. Now if all the racers got together and raced at one track (or raced at each track), we would have pretty good turnouts. But it's not like that. Local racers at their given tracks don't want to travel to other tracks. So our TC crowd is spread thin. Theres only 1 handful of racers, if that, that will travel between all 3 tracks. One of them being me.

I think one problem is that most racers (here) are not serious about racing. Not serious as in, not sponsored and don't care about traveling to big race events around the US. They are content with staying where they are. Some are just people who like to get together and bash/race around. Eventually they form a club and apply some basic rules and go from there. Nothing wrong with that. It's all about having fun. Everyone sees the hobby differently.

Main thing we need is promotion. Get more local people into racing or into the hobby for that matter. 1 track is supported by a local hobby shop. Only about 2 racers are local. Myself and one guy who calls the races. Everyone else is from out of town. The track is hidden away in the country. 1 track is supported by a race club with local racers. It sits next to a family fun center that is next to the highway. It used to be in a mall parking lot with tons of people racing and a lot of exposure. And the other track is in a parking lot in a shopping center and across the street from a McDonalds. They get a lot of exposure with people asking about the cars and where to buy them.

Another thing is some people just don't like Touring. They try it out. End up a couple laps down. Get discouraged. Then leave to race or try something else. Some just plain prefer offroad or oval or nitro. We got plenty of racers. Just not enough wanting to do the same thing.

Anyways, I'm done babbling... Happy Holidays!
M.J. McIntyre

Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've seen towns/cities with multiple tracks that seemed to co-exist ok, but most of the time it seems one track gets pitted against the other and they fight for the same racers.

I've seen and read where you can't even have tracks 2-3 states away without 'TAKING" racers from another track..let alone 2 in the same city/town.

Too often it seems a track will have what appears to be a 'good thing' going...so somebody else decides THEY should build a 'better' track in the same locale, because they feel THEY can do it better. Next thing you know -BOTH have closed doors and the RACERS lose.

At the same time, I've seen some great purpose built tracks that never really took off, while in the same town the little LHS running races in the bumpy, slippery parking lot drew a great crowd every week.

(It's not always about having a MILLION dollar track/facility, sometimes it's about the PEOPLE and the ATMOSPHERE)
Joe Myers
R/C Racing since 1985 ~ Santa Maria, CA (Central Coast)
2001-2012 - South-West Tour R/C Oval Series - R.I.P.
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Originally Posted by RBLove View Post
Nobody really runs rubber tires to be honest. The few that do or did run the 13.5, but we can do whatever. I should have my rubber tc done late January. We will have to hook up and get a group together.
I'll have to come back that way and show you how rubber tires are done :P j/k
Dustin Layne
smoke81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #19
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't think there are too many cities that can support multiple tracks especially if its both onroad. you pretty much have 150 regulars racing when they can so in reality you get 100 to 120 per weekend if there was only one track now if you start dividing that up between two tracks it ain't much especially for a permanent facility.
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #20
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

MAD916: Those are two awesome tracks. Most cities could only hope they would be so lucky as to have two tracks to race at like that.

Cincy is very blessed in the amount of talent that races here. I believe sometimes it works against us. Most of the novice racers are intimidated by the level of competition which drives a lot of newcomers away. At the same time I wish they would realize that this is the best place to be a novice at. The guys in the pits have been doing this for years and have an unlimited amount of knowledge and experience to share, and yes most of them are more than happy to. If there are enough people on race day there shouldn't be anybody getting laped "20" times. The heats will sort themselves out appropriately so you will race with equal performance/talent.
I'm a firm believer that the only way to get better is to race against better competition.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #21
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
Very timely thread... we are wondering the same thing.... we have just completed a month ago what we think is one of the nicest and largest carpet tracks in the US. had our first race November 7,8,9. 64 Racers 90 plus entries.... it was beyond our expectations, EVERYONE had a great time and could not stop talking about the track and when they could come back.

Since then we have had (5) thurs night club races and some open Saturdays, with.......................... count them 0 people show up.

We are out in the country a bit but only 25 miles from Portland. We have local guys driving even further to run at a track in Portland, and even down to Salem to run at tracks that have been open and established....

We also have a beautiful outdoor track with much the same results.... not sure what it is, did we piss they guys off? are they jealous of the guys with their own race tracks? or is it a strong alliance with the existing tracks and they are afraid to stray away from their home tracks???/

till then it's just us three guys testing and practicing in a empty building………………..

I would love to come down there and play, but on the thursday, from seattle, not gonna happen. Mike and I do want to make a road trip to play on a saturday and hope to bring some friends with us. hope to see you soon
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #22
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

One of the things that happens here is that when there are multiple tracks...they're trying to cut each other's throats by scheduling against each other for the same days.

I think to say that there are even 150 regular on-road racers in SoCal is a stretch. Probably more like 50 at this point...maybe another 100 that come and go, but no more than 50 that race regularly. Of those 50, there are only a handful that will race multiple venues on the same weekend.

I bet if there were 150 regular on-road guys, SoCal would have been moving this week, not closing.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #23
Regional Moderator
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

In our area the tracks alternate weekends. There are three tracks, all within one hour of each other. (2 Off-road & 1 On-Road) One of the Off-Road tracks is only 8 miles form the On-road track.

On-Road every other Sunday,
Off-Road on alternate every other Sunday,
The other Off-Road track (an hour drive) runs ever other Sautrday on the alternate week of Off-Road track #1.

This gives everyone a chance to race whatever and wherever and sort of share the love. This also allows the persons opperating the tracks some time off to race elsewhere and relax.

Sure not all places can keep the doors (or in this case gates) open by running only twice per month; but we make it work.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #24
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sigearhead View Post
If there are enough people on race day there shouldn't be anybody getting laped "20" times. The heats will sort themselves out appropriately so you will race with equal performance/talent.
I'm a firm believer that the only way to get better is to race against better competition.
I agree. You just gotta find the competition within the race. Ive always just picked that person next fastest to me and made that my goal. Some people go out there thinking they need to beat Eli to have fun and thats just not the case. You can have fun and be around the big guys all at once. The only issues Ive ever seen with a novice and "pro" is when a "pro" gets mad at the way a novice turn marshalls or if they happen to be in the same race something they do. It doesnt happen often but when it does it discouraging.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote