Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity... New home of the IB 4600

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Jim-Glad to see you back with Trinity! Better yet, taking the time to post info and opinions on here...
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

You're right on the modified thing too Jim - since brushless has become more popular our mod class has all but died out locally. Way too much weird Frankenstein tech showing up at the track, breaking down, catching on fire, etc. (I know, because I've been responsible for a lot of it in my quest to find a working system for our tuning company to develop - and we still haven't found it!)

Also, because there's been no movement towards any standards for lower level BL classes, we've seen a wider spread of skills in mod. No offence intended to anyone, but 1/2 the mod class is now rookies just wanting to see how fast they can go versus guys actually ready to race mod. The whole thing is really messy and it's had a bad overall impact on what used to be a pretty spectacular class for the fastest of the fast.

I'm anxious to see the new cells - we have had good luck with the Trinity EP4600's and we would love to be surprised (in the good way) by the new IB's.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Big Daddy
Pauly runs the LRP, Ralph and BK ran them too. I think that this is the best option right now. I've recently tested some stuff me and Paulie couldnt kill, but we are going to keep trying until we either do it in, or bring it in. When we all started racing most of this stuff was simple, now like you say, we lost control of the high tech end.
J. thanks man..
Old 12-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Who is Jim Dieter?...............................LOL
Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is Trinity getting an exclusive on ib4200's also? or are these cells being phased out?

For Stock & 19T racing, it'd be nice to have a high-voltage & low-IR cell option, as the extra capacity is not useful at all.

All of the latest cells (EP's, EnerG's, Orion sho's) seem to be going the opposite way... more capacity and less Voltage with higher IR.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Its wierd...... over here in the UK brushless has saved modified racing. It was at the point where outside of the Nationals, practically NO-ONE ran modified. But this year, with the introduction of the 5cell/brushless option, modified is probably the biggest class right now.

Although I do agree we need some definite specs for a stock/spec brushless class.... our BRCA are creating those over the winter so next year our National classes will be modified and 10.5/19t (mixed).

Looking forward to seeing what Trinity develops over the coming months.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc pete
For Stock & 19T racing, it'd be nice to have a high-voltage & low-IR cell option, as the extra capacity is not useful at all.

All of the latest cells (EP's, EnerG's, Orion sho's) seem to be going the opposite way... more capacity and less Voltage with higher IR.
The IB4200s are your best choice then
Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
Its wierd...... over here in the UK brushless has saved modified racing. It was at the point where outside of the Nationals, practically NO-ONE ran modified. But this year, with the introduction of the 5cell/brushless option, modified is probably the biggest class right now.

Although I do agree we need some definite specs for a stock/spec brushless class.... our BRCA are creating those over the winter so next year our National classes will be modified and 10.5/19t (mixed).

Looking forward to seeing what Trinity develops over the coming months.

I also agree that MOD is more common nowadays in our part of the country. Previously at socal you would see the big names running mod and thats it. We now have a few guys running mod that would never have run mod with out the BL systems....
Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Brushless seems to be affecting racing differently depending on what you are running and where. It seems to get the oval guys back, hopefully it will do the same for on road. As far as 5 cell ? Personally , I hate it. But if it helps the big picture, I'll grit my teeth and do it. I would never pull a plug wire of a chevy either....lol rc Pete..4600 only as far as I know.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Good to see you on here Jim......Im surprised at the response rate too...I didnt take you as the typer type! LOL

EA
Old 12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billjacobs
While I agree that trinity has done a lot for r/c in terms of motors and batteries, specifically making them widely available, trinity hasn't been as positive for their competition, new technologies, and sometimes for the racers.

Trinity tries to undermine any new technology until they release one of theirs:
1) trinity undermines brushless motors, and takes out ads to that effect, then releases their own motors, and suddenly brushless is a revelation

Trinity is like the microsoft of r/c, they copy other company's designs and call them their own, then they cut the price to corner the market:
2) trinity releases the dynapulse, a blatant ripoff and copy of the spintec discharger and charges 1/2 the price

Trinity releases products with big design flaws, but never own up to anything:
3) trinity release the dpd which has 1 big flaw, when 1 cell reaches the voltage to switch from 30amp pulse to 5amp linear discharge, all of the cells go to 5amp linear,

Trinity part support for their own products is lacking and mishandled:
4) trinity releases their spec 4wd car, but getting the correct parts is a nightmare. They have the parts, but many are mislabeled, so you order 1 thing and get something else in the package.

And don't even start on trinity warranty and customer service. Trinity is always interested in gaining market share at the expense of any other r/c company, or the racers.

But, after all of that, as the biggest player in the game, trinity does what they do to increase sales and profits, and they can't be blamed for that.
.DING,DING,DING........we have a winner............
Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I feel brushless will help modified racing. For a privateer racing brushed modified is a huge financial undertaking, not to mention the knowledge to do it correctly.

With brushless mod is vastly easier, pretty much solder the motor in, figure out gearing for the track, and drive. I decided to run mod (only because of brushless) this winter in the local series and I've only taken the motor out to try different ones (3.5, 4.5, etc). Zero maintenance, very good performance and reliability. I have no complaints or concerns.

It's really good to see some of the "icons" of the hobby come on here and give their opinion. I just hope people recognize Jim's background and respect his posts.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Anthony
We've been juggling rotor sizes more than winds, but you are right about leaving it alone once right. I'll have to admit that after winding thousands of arms, it was cool to not cut any mod coms....who knows how much copper I've atomized over the last couple decades. Need any help at a race...yell at us. I will tell you where we are. gear, wind, etc...
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Good to see you on here Jim......Im surprised at the response rate too...I didnt take you as the typer type! LOL

EA

EA it's so easy even a caveman can do it! sorry jim i couldn't pass that soft ball up!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Rookie

If Jim Dieter is involved you know its going be good.

Jim whats the deal with the red 10.5 and blue 13.5 trinity brushless motors ?

I know they are not the same type of cans as the mod motors the team guys are running and there were some guys running them at a local track i stopped in at while searching for Michael and they seemed to be SLOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.