Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/12th tyre advice please... >

1/12th tyre advice please...

1/12th tyre advice please...

Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Default 1/12th tyre advice please...

Hi guys, could anyone give me some advice on 1/12th tyre selection please? I currently run GRP magenta fronts with GRP pink rears on a large carpet track that at best only gets to 'medium' grip levels. That combo works fine for me but would the same compounds from other companies (CRC, Jaco, etc) be better or worse? I was told that ALL tyre foam comes from one or two factories so they are all the same anyway, is that correct?

Thanks for any help, Chris.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default tires

you've been told the near truth. there's only a few sources for the rubber and so the tires are pretty similar from one brand to another, especially pinks vs pinks, greys vs greys, etc. The larger differences are in the wheels. There are signifigant differences in those from company to company. Some are larger diameter which yields a shorter tire sidewall at the same overall tire diameter. There is variances in the offset of the wheels and also which type of front bearings they are designed for. And some wheels are substantially stiffer than others. These factors all have an effect on the tire's performance and that of the car. I suggest that you pick a brand that you can get conveniently and at a good price and stick with that brand so you don't have to worry about changing your track width or getting used to the feel of a taller wheel or a stiffer wheel. I've had good success with both the Parma's and the CRC's. Both can be had from a variety of sources at compedative prices.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've done really well with the new Jaco's on the Prism wheel. I like that you don't have to true half the tire off to get to the "best" sidewall height. Also, they are ver nicely priced (less than the Jaco's on the old rim). The fronts are set for flanged bearings, but I don't know how the offsets compare to other brands.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply guys. I have 5 full sets of GRP wheels/tyres and use them for each round during a meeting (4 heats and a final). I think I might try the new Jaco's once these have worn down, we'll see.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I raced in the same conditions and I used black fronts and pink rears CRC and stayed strong the whole race.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I have no trouble with the GRP tyres, I just wondered if any other makes are better still!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've never run the GRP's, so please take my above recommendation with a grain of salt. Honestly, I'd go with what you can get a consistant supply from your LHS for a decent price whether they're GRP's, CRC, Parma, Jaco, etc.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

have you tried johns bsr tires, they are awesome, I had great success with the dual coumpound pink rears and the team purple fronts. There are a few good tire makers out there, but no one else offers the variety of tires that john's bsr offers, they make it very easy to dial in the tire for your track. Give them a shout, here is their web site:
http://www.bsr-racing.com/
Old 12-21-2007, 10:54 PM
oze
Tech Adept

Where can I find the Jaco colour codes with shore numbers? Is there any site to show that?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oze
Where can I find the Jaco colour codes with shore numbers? Is there any site to show that?
http://bmiracing.com/bmiv4/index.php...d=15&Itemid=30