Wiki Posts
Search

why are we still running sub-c cells??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
About all I can read on lipo is a bunch of screamers crapping on every thread.
I got it to also use for another race series which only allows Orion lipos.
So you can just kiss my a..!
fred, i asked doug to talk to TCS fred to allow "any" hard cased lipo up to 5000.
hopefully that will happen.

i would like to run TCS, but i'm not buying a new lipo and BL motor to do it.

like i said, bring your sedan, even if its for a practice run, i will let you run the core.

the 9.5 Jb has is of a older design and the KV rating is similar to that of "normal" 10.5 and is rated as a 19t motor, the new Speedpassion motors are reworked to a 10.5 with the KV rating equal to "normal" 19t rated BL motor, hope that helps. AT least that is my understanding.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
There is no conspiracy going on, there is just r/c suppliers who see their business model in jeopardy trying anything they can to hold the floodgates closed. I don't blame them and don't think they are evil. This is business, pure and simple.

I'll repeat what I said about LIPO knowledge: I trust Linger more than smc, trinity, etc, etc, etc, when it comes to LIPO's. I always trust someone more who is obviously knowledgable, and who is not trying to sell me anything.

I just got back from the local indoor track. I took a 6 amp much more power supply, an fma scorpian charger, and 2 orion 3200 packs. That was the extent of all of my battery/charging equipment. I recharged each pack 2 times and ran out 4 full packs. Couldn't be any simpler. And from what I can tell, the batteries ran the same as when I got them a year ago.
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about....'cause Stone Cold said so
Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
fred, i asked doug to talk to TCS fred to allow "any" hard cased lipo up to 5000.
hopefully that will happen.

i would like to run TCS, but i'm not buying a new lipo and BL motor to do it.

like i said, bring your sedan, even if its for a practice run, i will let you run the core.

the 9.5 Jb has is of a older design and the KV rating is similar to that of "normal" 10.5 and is rated as a 19t motor, the new Speedpassion motors are reworked to a 10.5 with the KV rating equal to "normal" 19t rated BL motor, hope that helps. AT least that is my understanding.
The Orion won't go to waste, it will go into my T4
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

People thinking having LiPo's will make a level playing feild and that they are so much better with less maintainence. I have already heard of people pre-heating them to gain maxiumum voltage. There will be ways to to gain that competitive edge. And people will do it.

The cost of initailly getting into LiPo looks cheap, but usually when you try to gain that competitive edge, you are going to burn out and ruin your equipment.

It's like people on this thread have already said, LiPo people are only trying to push their batteries to be legal as people in the past were trying to legalize NI-Cd 2000, and so on and so forth. It's going to be no cheaper than NI-Mh once people know how to gain the competitive edge.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Here's why I'm still running sub C cells.

There isn't currently a company out there that is willing to make a suitable LiPo pack to replace the 4 cell saddle packs that we're running in 12th onroad. Each side of the pack would need to be about 45mm square and about 20-22mm thick in order to fit in the car. This would actuallt be a little bigger footprint than the cells we have now.

Locally, almost all of the 6 cell stuff is LiPo (except big races). Some of us started the LiPo switch last year (along with brushless) and it's looking like most of the rest are switching locally this year.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
People thinking having LiPo's will make a level playing feild and that they are so much better with less maintainence. I have already heard of people pre-heating them to gain maxiumum voltage. There will be ways to to gain that competitive edge. And people will do it.

The cost of initailly getting into LiPo looks cheap, but usually when you try to gain that competitive edge, you are going to burn out and ruin your equipment.

It's like people on this thread have already said, LiPo people are only trying to push their batteries to be legal as people in the past were trying to legalize NI-Cd 2000, and so on and so forth. It's going to be no cheaper than NI-Mh once people know how to gain the competitive edge.
you are a nimh lover,and anti lipo person.u should be banned from rc
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is a lot of truth in that statement, especially where the "Ultra Competitve" races come into play. However, for the weekend warrior type racer, I don't think it will be so true.

As long as there are NO Budget restraining rules and racers are FREE to SPEND as much $$$ as they can - you WILL have guys out spend and outperform others.

Heck, I know I can make a WHOLE race day on ONE LIPO..and I've preached it...however, I currently own 5 ORION 3200 LIPOS, and before the '08 season starts in February I plan to have 2-3 more.

I don't plan on abusing mine, and I didn't buy all these packs to find ONE to be BETTER than the others...NOPE, I did it because I run 2-3 classes per race day, and so does my son...so NOW we'll a ONE battery pack for EVERY possible car we'll drive....and at least ONE spare incase something does happen to one of them.

...I'm sure, especially on cold days...you are going to start finding 'heating pads' in the pits...with lipos being charged inside them. (LIPOS do NOT like COLD...and they do like to be slightly warmed)
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I agree on a little of that. Of course you're going to have guys that push the envelope. No ones debating that. For me and I can only speak for me, not everyone else like some people choose to do, lipo is simply a longer lasting more economical alternative to kick ass with. I have money to buy just about anything out there r/c but not the time. I choose to spend the time (and money that I spend) I can get to the track to improve driving skills and set-up. That's the key to pullin' off fast and consistent laps. BL/lipo affords ME the TIME to do that.
Why are we still running sub-c cells? Simply put, 'cause there's an option to.
Current rules are being adapted/ adopted as we speak to accomodate new and upcoming technology & I welcome it
Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default why lipo

I like jaybee's points, but I will add 1 more thing: lipo is more consistent than nimh over time. To keep nimh at a certain point, you have to buy new cells, for lipo, you can simply use the same pack.

You cannot beat the convenience, and consistency of LIPO or their lack of maintenance. I don't care what other racers do to gain an edge, because that will always be an issue regardless of the technology.

The biggest problem with lipo is no 1/12 scale.

p.s.: trakpower -> don't make blanket statements about people (anti-lipo, etc,) If you want to argue a point, do it intelligently.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I like jaybee's points, but I will add 1 more thing: lipo is more consistent than nimh over time. To keep nimh at a certain point, you have to buy new cells, for lipo, you can simply use the same pack.

You cannot beat the convenience, and consistency of LIPO or their lack of maintenance. I don't care what other racers do to gain an edge, because that will always be an issue regardless of the technology.

The biggest problem with lipo is no 1/12 scale.

p.s.: trakpower -> don't make blanket statements about people (anti-lipo, etc,) If you want to argue a point, do it intelligently.
i think its sony who are developing a 2.4v lipo atm. so just wait a year or so!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:17 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have 4 lipo packs that are all the same brand at this time. All of them run as far as I can tell identically. One pack is not better than the other. 2 packs are new that I bought and 2 where used for Idon't know how long or how much but they perform the same as my new ones. I don't need to cycle the packs to see what is better like I use to with sub c packs.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wyd
I have 4 lipo packs that are all the same brand at this time. All of them run as far as I can tell identically. One pack is not better than the other. 2 packs are new that I bought and 2 where used for Idon't know how long or how much but they perform the same as my new ones. I don't need to cycle the packs to see what is better like I use to with sub c packs.
Lipos is the new Electric!!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
Lipos is the new Electric!!
And this from a guy with a nascar advatar!
Lets see, nascar still runs pushrod V8's with carbs'
There's HIGH TECH for ya!

Moron!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
And this from a guy with a nascar advatar!
Lets see, nascar still runs pushrod V8's with carbs'
There's HIGH TECH for ya!

Moron!!!!!!!
So deos drag racing but run 4.50's in the 1/4 using that old pushrod technoloy. Bad thing is they are like NIMH and blow up or just don't last long.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

billjacobs
u never argue a point,only goes with what other people point of view is,read all ur past posts on this thread.u dont have the courage to speak ur mind,u approve of a person post then u add a little somthing to it.dont be stupid and know when a person is joking in a post and when he is serious.
stand up to ur opinion and be a man,arguing with people is not a bad thing.
otherwise this forums will be a kiss ass fourms(u know what i am saying mr).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.