R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Hydrogen Fuel Cell R/C Car (H-Cell)

Anyone seen this yet?? I saw this yesterday online and I just HAD to post it here. This is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. A company called Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technologies has developed a power pack for a 1/10 Scale Electric R/C car that fits perfectly into the Tamiya TT-01 chassis. Check out the full review and videos of the car in action here at http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/rc.htm . I've loaded the pics to my flickr site here. The damn thing is rediculously expensive, but I like where they're going with this...

OTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

that looks pretty cool, but could you imagime if people didnt know what they were doing and blew up one of those hydrogen cells. it wouldnt be pretty
Check it out, edgy, hilarious internet radio, FOR FREE

Associated: TC5 FT w/GTB/13.5
Xray: T1 FK05 w/GT7, CO27
Tamiya: F103GT w/ Cyclone 2
HPI: RS4 PRO 2 (semi-retired)
CEN: Matrix 1/8 scale buggy

S&N Trackside RC
emulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this was a thread a while ago. 30 watts though? thats nothing! its about 4 amps at 7.2 volts! as soon as they make it better it may take off. otherwise, no.
HPI E-Firestorm - Tamiya TA05 racer (carbon chassis, 10.5 brushless etc) - LRP Blast S10 BX - Revo 2.5r truggy conversion (in progress)
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I don't want to dog technology but Fuel-Cells are pointless for transportation.

1: Hydrogen have 1/6th the power density of gasoline meaning you need 6 times more volume to achieve the same results.
2: Since hydrogen is also less dense, to transport this gas through a pipeline you would need subway sized tunnels to replace 1meter pipes in use now for petrol.
4. Since hydrogen is restricted to being locally produce and not ideal for pipelines the electrolysis needed is very inefficient. Charging batteries would yield better efficiency.
3: Fuel cells need platinum, whine is really expensive and rare. Meaning at most fuel cells will remain a novelty not a replacement for either Batteries or I.C.E.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote