Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Unauthorized Shipping Costs >

Unauthorized Shipping Costs

Unauthorized Shipping Costs

Old 12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Angry Unauthorized Shipping Costs

Hi All,

I want to get peoples opinions on an issue.

I recently placed an order, at the bottom of the order confirmation page it says:

ORDER TOTAL: $84.80

Is it then ok for the store to add $40 in shipping costs without contacting me first to advise me what the extra costs would be?

I am really pissed at this company because if I had known about this extravagant shipping amount, I would have modified or cancelled the order.

I am of the opinion that once agreed upon, the price is set. If there is a problem (eg item out of stock, change in shipping costs) the vendor needs to seek clarification from the buyer - (do you wish to proceed at the higer amount, do you want to backorder, or shall we wait until the item is back in stock?).

I feel that in this case the merchant has overstepped the line of what is reasonable. I dont mind paying for shipping, but I must agree to it prior to my card being charged. They cannot add fees to an order after it has been confirmed. That is an UNAUTHORIZED credit card transaction, which amounts to FRAUD.

What do you think?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Any store should make you aware of exactly what they are charging to your card. If they are going to add extra for shipping, they need to make sure you're aware of it.

I couldn't tell you the legalities of it, but that's certainly a better business practice.

I know that for us, if shipping goes a few dollars over the stated cost, we just eat the difference. If it's a huge difference, we will contact the customer and see what they want to do about it.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

contact your credit card company and decline the payment simply if you did not authorize this amount you can decline it.what company was it so i dont get caught for future reference?
cheers
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

If the confirmation page states a lower price than what was charged, contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. Paypal will also work with them if you went that route.

Actually, you should contact them first. They might have just made a mistake and it can be fixed easily.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only way it could be considered okay is if somewhere on their site it says "Shipping will be determined after items are selected, large items may cost a lot to ship." Or something to that effect...when I order something huge, like a carpet kit for a old car, I know the shipping is going to be $30-40...

But for them to just do it without warning, kind of lame. I hope what you bought is big because most stuff doesn't cost that much to ship anymore..
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

You know I've run into this because our website does not calculate accurate shipping outside of the lower 48 states. I have to individually contact each person, usually by email in order to advise them of an accurate charge to their card.

From my end its hard because some people use fake email, or don’t check email, or don’t input good contact numbers so in a way I'm in a lose lose situation.

On one hand if I don’t ship the package and charge their card I failed them and I’m the bad guy, but If I attempt and exhaust all options in contacting them and charge the card anyway and its not the charge they agreed upon then I failed again, but this time there's a legal dilemma.

SO NO, they cannot do that at all. But did you make yourself available to them in case of an extenuating circumstance such as more expensive than normal shipping?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Smile I suggest you to

I suggest you to next time keep in contact with the merchant and be persistent in asking questions in that way those guys would know that you won't take the hook that easy.

What is the name of this store?

Future real is right as the seller they must always follow you regarding your transaction.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Desolas
The only way it could be considered okay is if somewhere on their site it says "Shipping will be determined after items are selected, large items may cost a lot to ship." ....... I hope what you bought is big because most stuff doesn't cost that much to ship anymore..

I agree, there is nothing in their terms and conditions, and nothing on the order confirmation page.

I havnt received the parcel yet, but I am expecting it to be the size of a shoe box, and weigh a bit over a pound. 5 pairs of foam tires, a foam bumper, a tee-shirt and a sticker.

did you make yourself available to them in case of an extenuating circumstance such as more expensive than normal shipping?
yes, they have my cell number and I have been checking my email daily.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Now that I think about it, is that paypal surcharge from RCChamp legit? They tell me that paypal charges them for international exchange...
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Legend

Seems buying mail order is`nt such a bargain as the prices listed do not reflect the full cost....
Old 12-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I havnt received the parcel yet, but I am expecting it to be the size of a shoe box, and weigh a bit over a pound. 5 pairs of foam tires, a foam bumper, a tee-shirt and a sticker.
If it's an international order I hate to say but $40 to ship is not totally out of the question. It costs $37.00 to flat rate USPS something to someone, if you would have ordered the same stuff from me I would have charged $16.00 to ship - $22.00 in actual cost paid by me but we eat some of it..

However, if they do not post the shipping charge you have every reason to dispute it with your CC and if you feel you should, do so immediately.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Desolas
However, if they do not post the shipping charge you have every reason to dispute it with your CC and if you feel you should, do so immediately.
Ok, so regardless of the weight, size, destination etc. the general consensus is:

1) that the customer must be aware of and approve the shipping cost, whatever amount it is.

2)that it is NOT ok to add on any extra costs without getting the customers consent first. If anything changes, the customer must be kept in the loop.

do you think its fair to ask for a refund of the extra shipping costs?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PeteB
Ok, so regardless of the weight, size, destination etc. the general consensus is:

1) that the customer must be aware of and approve the shipping cost, whatever amount it is.

2)that it is NOT ok to add on any extra costs without getting the customers consent first. If anything changes, the customer must be kept in the loop.

do you think its fair to ask for a refund of the extra shipping costs?
how about naming the company so that no one else becomes a victim.....or do you not feel comfortable mentioning them on the web?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was checking on ordering a ProtoForm body that's been discontinued from a overseas company who shows them in stock.

The body was listed I believe around $26.00, but shipping it to the U.S. would have been $40.00 (Just a bit more than I'm willing to spend on an unpainted body) But...it wasn't easy to get the display on the shipping price...but I did find it.

NOT shipping related, but I also bought a LosiSlider SPEKTRUM Receiver from a company on Ebay 2 1/2 weeks ago...it never arrived (The company is in SoCal and I'm on the Central Cal Coast only 150 miles away)

...I'm thinking they chose NOT to send the item I bought on a "Buy it Now" deal, because HORIZON raised the price on these and they went from selling for $38.00 to $79.00 in a week. (The company claims it was lost in the mail and REFUNDED my PayPal instead of sending another unit.) I'm BUMMED!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by STLNLST
how about naming the company so that no one else becomes a victim.....or do you not feel comfortable mentioning them on the web?

Well, I am a fair and honest man, even though I am pissed off, I beleive I owe them an opportunity to make things right. I do not want to destroy someones good name by dragging them through the mud if it was an error made by a new sales clerk. I will give them the opportunity to make things right, if not then I will presume that this is one of their standard tricks and then yes, I will warn other people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.