Wiki Posts
Search

Reedy Hard Case Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The wires are permanent. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. Safety - Socket type connections are pretty secure. But if they come loose and do not pull all the way out, you have exposed + and - very close.
2. Resistance - any extra connection increases resistance. And the internal sockets can corrode and become less efficient.

The wires come pretty long and I do not recommend shortening them. But over time and with plug changes, they could at some point become too short. The good thing is that the ESC wires can be replaced pretty easily so you can pretty much have a "nub" coming out of the pack and still be able to use the battery properly.
And you can un-solder battery plugs like Deans and not have to shorten the wires much if at all.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
And you can un-solder battery plugs like Deans and not have to shorten the wires much if at all.
The whole Lipo thing is new and I am sure you will see new ideas for mounting, balancing (weight), solutions to other issues popping up on a monthly basis.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for answering my questions Rick.

Could you clarify possibly what you mean by "nubs" on end of the battery pack? Would that be a similar concept to where we solder quickly battery wires on today's standard NiMh's packs on the "+" and "-" tabs? but more carefully done as not to accidently short the cells or anything.

All that aside and being said, I can say that I have no intention of ever shortening the supplied battery wire that comes with the Reedy Lipo's, as I only see myself changing the dean connectors maybe once or twice during the entire course of the life of the pack. It was just a hypothetical question in case that ever happened for some reason, that's all.

In addition could you elaborate on the connectors that comes with the 12 awg wire 5000 pack, are they Tamyia, Deans, or will the user have to install their connector of choice?

I'm sure this was covered earlier in the thread, but far as balancing the pack, how is this achieved. Is there a 2mm plug like the Orion/Peak built in, or? And in order to check the individual voltage of each + & - cells how would that be done, etc?

Thanks.

Last edited by 4wd Racer; 01-22-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 4wd Racer
Thanks for answering my questions Rick.

Could you clarify possibly what you mean by "nubs" on end of the battery pack? Would that be a similar concept to where we solder quickly battery wires on today's standard NiMh's packs on the "+" and "-" tabs? but more carefully done as not to accidently short the cells or anything.

All that aside and being said, I can say that I have no intention of ever shortening the supplied battery wire that comes with the Reedy Lipo's, as I only see myself changing the dean connectors maybe once or twice during the entire course of the life of the pack. It was just a hypothetical question in case that ever happened for some reason, that's all.

In addition could you elaborate on the connectors that comes with the 12 awg wire 5000 pack, are they Tamyia, Deans, or will the user have to install their connector of choice?

I'm sure this was covered earlier in the thread, but far as balancing the pack, how is this achieved. Is there a 2mm plug like the Orion/Peak built in, or? And in order to check the individual voltage of each + & - cells how would that be done, etc?

Thanks.
By "nub" I mean that the wire can exit the case just far enough to solder a plug on and the ESC wires can be extended (becasue they can be changed) to accomodate increasingly shorter battery wires.

The 3200 and 5000 come with 14 AWG wire and a Tamiya connector. The 5000 Pro is the same battery as the standard 5000 but comes with 12AWG wire and no connector. This is the battery I would recommend to experienced or "pro" racers.

The battery comes with a balance connector which is compatible with our upcoming LiPo balance charger (you heard it here first). The voltage can be checked at the plug with a voltmeter (see commentary below).You can also balance the pack using LRPs new discharger that has 2-cell LiPo discharge capability. This balances the cells to a specific discharge voltage.

Commentary - We can use the balance connector as a way to regulate the maximum voltage for tech inspection purposes. I would like to see an onboard display that plugs into the pack at the balance connector so that any tech guy can look under the body and read the pack voltage.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

I assume this is the Reedy Lipo pack...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Yes and no. The internals are. But the case is a prototype.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Yes and no. The internals are. But the case is a prototype.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What ESC is that? I like the blue case on the battery! :-)
Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
looks like a Nosram Matrix
Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The ESC is a Nosram Matrix (I believe).
Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Rick i know you said you would be able to tell us who's cells you are using in the reedy packs, are you able to tell us yet ?

Also will the cases be blue like they are in the pictures posted above ?

and will they be 2s1p or 2s2p packs
Old 02-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Commentary - We can use the balance connector as a way to regulate the maximum voltage for tech inspection purposes. I would like to see an onboard display that plugs into the pack at the balance connector so that any tech guy can look under the body and read the pack voltage.
Rick great idea, I hope this becomes a standard.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know the packs are not out yet but any chance of a saddle pack any time soon?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Rick will the Reedy lipo's be out to retail before the Nat's? I was in the market for a new lipo and was going to have the LHS order one if we could get it before the nat's.

And will the 5000 fit into a Losi Type R without any major mods to the car itself?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

As of 2/28/08 Reedy lipo's#

703 5000mah Pro
704 5000mah
705 3200mah Pro

Has been APPROVED in ROAR. Check for other approved LiPo's on ROAR Websight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.