R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #31
Company Representative
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

had a 3300 stick pack blow up in a customers car the other day. First one I ever saw. Not to bad of a deal. made a good sounds let out some smoke and sputtered. threw it outside called it a day in the hobby. We blew up 1200's 2000's and will always have a occasional issue. cell phones blow up in pockets, laptops catch on fire. it is just a occasional risk that happens to go along with the hobby we play with.
ammdrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Does he mean 4200mah lockout? Even with being discharged first, having that big of a lockout will blow it up pretty easily.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

I'll play fair on this one:

I'll assume no user error or user intent to blow the packs.

This was a stick pack! So the cells are most likely not matched. One cell could have been a dud and during the charging process the weaker cell could have masked the real delta peak. The goober cell could still be taking a charge even though most of the current going into the cell ends up as heat not stored capacity. It is just a matter of time before 5 good cells become ticking time bombs with 15 minutes of overcharge. I would think it would take 10minutes before the bad cell will "peak" and the run-over charge after delta peak in some chargers is 5 minutes (normally 3min). With that 15min at a 4amp charge the batteries are getting 1000mah more capacity than needed and increasing in tempatures at the same time. At 1000mah too much capacity that would be more than enough energy to boil a liter of water from room tempature! Depending on the stick casing and which cells were cooking off the temp prob could completely miss the warning signs. This all leads to boom!

In reality I think the goober in not the stick pack, its the user. There are just too many things the user can do to detonate batteries by accident or by intent. If the battery was going to fail, normally it has already done so before the user even places the order for it.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 AM   #34
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I could make a pack easily explode if I was to charge it up and then short the positive and negative terminals... That sucker would go off like a firecracker.. HMM
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote