Wiki Posts
Search

5-cell in Stock class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default 5-cell in Stock class?

After looking at my heavy TA05, and wondering how to lose some more weight on it, I wondered if there would be any real performance loss running 5cells in Stock. I haven't tested it myself, but with 4200's, surely they'd be enough run-time? It's probably kill peformance a little, but I'm thinking that the lower weight might offset that.

Any opinions folks?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last season we drove stock class with 5 cells and a Orion Element motor. Comparing the season before there was a difference off 0.2 seconds (slower) per lap. Not really a drop in laptimes. There IS quite some difference in speed on the straight, but in the corner the car is much faster.
Drivetime won't be an issue. I did finals of 8 minutes without a problem!!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

At a recent meeting I had a cell go bad during a quali and it made a massive difference to me.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by part-time racer
At a recent meeting I had a cell go bad during a quali and it made a massive difference to me.
Ofcourse!! If you maintain the same driveratio as a 6 cell setup, you will have a HUGE difference. If you change the ratio, it will be much better! For example; on our local track we have a ratio of 4.1. On some other tracks it was even 3.6 or 3.7
Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Your right FDR would need to be revised but there would still be a trade-off between punch or top-end speed.
If the track was small enough then maybe it would show up so bad?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by part-time racer
Your right FDR would need to be revised but there would still be a trade-off between punch or top-end speed.
If the track was small enough then maybe it would show up so bad?
A small track in an advantage for the 5 cell setup.... No highspeed possible.
As I said before you WILL experience some lower top-speed, but you can win some time in the corners. Just test it! Also keep in mind that a 5 cell setup should weigth around 1350 grams (1400 in 2008 see EFRA).
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lots of folks using 5 cell are having success, i finished 3rd in a very large class of 10.5/19t using 6 cell and lipo. if going to 5 cell, as mentioned go up about 4-5 teeth on the pinion. your results may vary
Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

5 Cell with brushless motor=Fast. Like they said going slow is fast. car is very drivable with 5 cell you will notice the car will will be alot faster on the sweeper and all the slow section on the track. You will loose a bit of top end speed on a sraight if your running on a big track but this is not a problem if your running on small track. If your running 13.5 or 10.5. You need to gear it at around 4.7 - 5.1 it depends on how big the track. A lot of guys tends to gear higher but you will not really gain any extra performance out of the motor other than heat..... And this will hurt your motor.

At my area I'm the only one who runs 5 cells. A lot of guys still can't beleive how fast my lap time against 6 cells and I always manage to TQ and win races on both expert 19T AND STOCK class. Here's our website.

Http://www.Tularecountyrc.com

Click on the race results and my name is kim. You will also see my lap time on the 19T expert and 19T sportsman class which I run 13.5 motor. A lot of people is skeptical running 5 cells but one's you tried it they are not bad and not to mention less wear and tear on your electronics and your tires last a lot longer.