Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Advice/Recommendations needed for clueless GF trying to by an RC car >

Advice/Recommendations needed for clueless GF trying to by an RC car

Advice/Recommendations needed for clueless GF trying to by an RC car

Old 12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As for the electric option:

This is the kit you sent a link to, only this is on Towerhobbies. They offer discounts on stuff over $100, and up. I think the deal now is $30 off $200 or more! Just check the front page

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SG4&P=7#combos

This is the car only. You need a few other things to run it. Basically, that is called a "roller" because that is all it will do. Roll. hehe...

This is the TT01D, which means that this has some upgrades already, but has Drift tires. Does he like drifting?

Hmm... you might be be better off with this (linked earlier)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTHP6&P=7

This has everything you need minus batteries and a charger. The reason why I say you are probably better with this is that this kit has everything ready to go (after assembly). This chassis (the body sits on top of this. The chassis is the part of the car that holds EVERYTHING.) is called the TT01. It is very, very tough, and has lots and lots of parts to upgrade. the TT01D is cheaper $130, but this only has the electronic speed control and a motor. You would have to buy the controller, receiver and servo (the box with a motor inside that turns the wheel.) At first until you both get acquainted with how the different parts of the car works. The TT01D comes with some upgrades already, but like I said you will have to buy the other stuff said earlier in this paragraph.

You will need to get a stick pack for the car, like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDNY2
Or if you know he'll be racing for a while...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKHJ8&P=M

The higher the mAh (miliamp hours) the longer the battery will last between charges.

Here is a popular charger that is "peak detection" so you know you're filling up the battery all the way.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRPP7&P=7

Personally I use this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLD5&P=M

Which is a little more expensive, you you can make your own leads, and charge with different types of connectors. This is also digital, but in your situation he might be better off with the Super Brain (shown above)
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

WOW!! i didnt realise that alot of guys missus's on here didnt like RC....my missus got me a TA05....upgrade from my TB02...

Yellie: if want sumthin cheap and to an extent, good...i would suggest an electric Tamiya XB (Xpert Built)....it comes with everything you need...and can be modified to make it better.

My gf askd me "What do you want," i did all the searching and then once i made my mind up...she ordered it.....maybe that is what you should do with ur bf.

good luck, rc can be very tricky sumtimes.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

wish my wife was as cool as you to buy a car for christmas.

I hope you find what your looking for
Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

dont stress to much...u still got 19 days!!! which is plenty of time....just get him 2 go on the net....go 2 sum hobbies shops chek out wat they got...

online hobby shops like

rcmart.com
towerhobbies.com

(there are plenty more out there....but i only shop at rcmart...as iam in OZ....and towerhobbies is far-away in America!)

then when he sees sumthin he likes u can ring up the local hobby shops and ask em if they got it...n if they dont...they can usually get them in for you!!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i reccomend the HPI E10 drift/touring (depends on what you want) cheap, cheerful and looks like it would do the job. best of all its almost exactley the same as the TT01 i'm gettign one for my birthday... 10 days to
Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
wish my wife was as cool as you to buy a car for christmas.

I hope you find what your looking for
My wife got me the Xray T2 '008 for Christmas, can't tell you how good it felt to me for her to do that. Well I had ordered it and she paid for it for my gift but still feels just as good!

Originally Posted by yellie
He mentioned gas powered but is there such a thing?
I've been in RC for 6 or 7 years, but with out a second thought, I'm like the others that say start with electric!

Originally Posted by yellie
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's nice to get some feedback and advice from those that know! I've been so stressed about getting him something he'll love and all your input has put me at ease. Let me know what you think about this one....is it a good buy?
Cheaper Here and use the discount codes on the front page and it's even cheaper Tower Hobbies Also, don't forget it will still need a few things, just look at the REQUIRES section in the Tech Notes. Hope that helps, Merry Christmas!