Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Angry ESC

I am looking for a new speed control and was wondering what is out there now I have been looking at the robitronic Cube2 and hara 2.2 esc as i run brushed motors or is it worth start to look at a speed controller that can do both brushed and brushless?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If you anticipate that you will buying a Brushless Motor in the near future, than get a Brushless ESC. Both the Novak and LRP Brushless ESC's will run both.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks very much for the advise, I only asked as I dont know what the club or brca will be doing in future regarding the motors.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Initiate

is brushless something that you are really going to plan on doing? What about Lipo batteries? Do you plan on running those? Some ESC's have a voltage cut off that will limit the lowest operational voltage so not to damage the battery. The dual brushed/brushless are quite expensive and it would probably be cheaper to make up your mind if brushless is something you are really going to do or not and just go that route. As for me, I just screw around in my yard and brushless isn't something I am going to want to bother with. I do plan on eventually go over to Lipo cells but my ESC's are older and don't have a voltage cut off. You can however build a device that will let out an audible tone when the battery is reaching its voltage limit.

I hope I helped, I am just getting back into these things myself after a 5 year vacation!

Scott
Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ragefear
The dual brushed/brushless are quite expensive and it would probably be cheaper to make up your mind if brushless is something you are really going to do or not and just go that route.
The only brushless speedies that are worth getting are brushed and brushless. I don't think there brushless only speedies that are made for cars anymore.

If your are going to stay in rc for a while then brushless would be a route that you will go down. What class do you race?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would go with the Tekin R1 http://www.teamtekin.com/r1.html
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

and where would you recomend he buy a R1 ? ray
Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Smile esc comparison

Guys I am running a brushed motor but im planning to go LIPO I wonder if HARA 2.2 is compatible with the LIPO batteries

Based on the things Ive heard lipo is best for practice I don't know though if they are good with races compared with the nimh having to know that we are only using a stock silver and black motor.

Im preparing to run for the m chassis class
Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help i run in stock 27 turn i feel that from the coments i will probably look at just getting a brushed/brushless esc or a brushed one as like you have said it is 'when' do the lipo and brushless take over wat we have now.

Thanks again
Old 12-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swift and Sleek
Guys I am running a brushed motor but im planning to go LIPO I wonder if HARA 2.2 is compatible with the LIPO batteries

Based on the things Ive heard lipo is best for practice I don't know though if they are good with races compared with the nimh having to know that we are only using a stock silver and black motor.

Im preparing to run for the m chassis class
i'm not sure if its compatible, but lipos will work better, as long as you buy a good pack. more punch, flatter discharge curve, more runtime from the same mah
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Tech Initiate

its not a question of compatibility for lipos. All the ESC's are compatible, its the idea of a low voltage cut off within the ESC to stop the car before the battery gets drained below its death zone...
Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ragefear
its not a question of compatibility for lipos. All the ESC's are compatible, its the idea of a low voltage cut off within the ESC to stop the car before the battery gets drained below its death zone...
thats what i meant
Old 12-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Tech Initiate

if you haven't seen this already

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221018