Wiki Posts
Search

Thundershot Bearings question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Thundershot Bearings question?

Hi,

I have the following question, i have replaced all my plastic bearings in my tamiya thundershot with ball bearings, i noticed there are two plastic bearings (the bearing or whatever it is, is called E1 on page 9 of the manual illustration nr 17 shows it more clearly)
each with a flat spot on them, can those plastic bearings or whatever it is be replaced with ball bearings, why do they have the flat spot on them?? (it's like a circle that is cut slightly straight down on the side of the plastic bearing?

Thanks

Last edited by skytrooper; 12-02-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Here's the link to the tamiya manual for the thundershot:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Can anyone answer this? If i can avoid running my new thundershot with those plastic bearings it would be good, though it does not look like someone has an answer?

Last edited by skytrooper; 12-03-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

not having seen this first hand, it looks like a part that you should leave as is, it appears to me to be a spacer for the diff assemble and by having that flat edge will not rotate...I say run it...if tamiya put it there then it will be fine.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

It looks as though the all of the diff housings may keyed or notched to take the cut plastic bushings. If that's not the case, I wouldn't see any reason not to put bearings in.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Initiate

wat troubles me is that thos plastic spacer/bearings or whatever they are will sit stationary while the shaft turns inside them, causing wear i want to avoid by using a ball bearing, but why is it keyd, there is no !keyd" area in the gearbox casing where it fits in exactly. the space in the gearbox casing is round like a bearing, then why they give this keyd plastic spacer, now i son't know if i should just leave them or replace them with ball bearings, i found that they are thinner than the other bushings i've replaced with ball bearings
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Initiate

what troubles me is that those plastic spacer/bearings or whatever they are will sit stationary while the shaft turns inside them, causing wear i want to avoid by using a ball bearing, but why is it keyd, there is no "keyd" area in the gearbox casing where it fits in exactly. the space in the gearbox casing is round like a bearing, then why they give this keyd plastic spacer, now i son't know if i should just leave them or replace them with ball bearings, i found that they are thinner than the other bushings i've replaced with ball bearings, please can someone tell me it's compulsory to use them or better to replace them with ball bearings the same thickness if possible, i just want the best for the drivetrain.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

It looks like a spacer for the thrust washer to rest against, put it together and run it.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I used to have a Tamiya Thunder Dragon (my first car) which was basically the same as the Thuder Shot except for a different body. I replaced all the plastic bushes with bearings including the one you mention (at least I think those were replaced). It was a long time ago (late 80s).

Putting my current day engineer hat on those parts appear not to carry much load and both ends of the propeller shaft SA8 run in bearings so it shouldn't matter if you leave them as is. Same goes for the one on the end of the counter shaft. They are designed to carry the thrust load from the right angle bevel gears, not a rotational load. As long as you grease them up well, I don't think you'd have a problem. If it does become a problem, change them out with bearings later. The one plastic bushing you don't really have to change is the one on the counter gear at step 14 as it doesn't rotate relative to anything.

Don't run anything powerful in the car and it should last a while. The gears won't handle a lot of power as they are relatively soft and there is no slipper. You will find (as I did) that the counter gear will wear on the shaft.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Tech Initiate

KE4PJO and Swanny thanks, so what i'm thinking now is it won't hurt to replace them with ball bearings but it does not really matter wether i replace them or not, if replacing them is an option i would do so in any case, just hope i can find the right size ball bearing, still wonder why they made them keyd, i'm awaiting a new hotshot 2 as well, hope i don't have any guessing to do there too.

thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skytrooper
Can anyone answer this? If i can avoid running my new thundershot with those plastic bearings it would be good, though it does not look like someone has an answer?
where did you find that car? do you want to sell it?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Initiate

it's the re-made 2005 version, i do not really want to sell it
sorry, i want to run it, something i can enjoy without worrying, though i want it to last as long as possible, especially because it's discontinued.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Anyone lese have a coment regarfing those bushings/spacers, i can't seem to make up my mind, though i know i'd fel better if i just by thos ball bearings, if it will work off course?
Tech Initiate

Anyone else have a coment regarfing those bushings/spacers, i can't seem to make up my mind, though i know i'd fel better if i just by thos ball bearings, if it will work off course?
Tech Initiate

Anyone else have a comment regarding those bushings/spacers, i can't seem to make up my mind, though i know i'd fel better if i just by thos ball bearings, if it will work off course?