Wiki Posts
Search

5-cell: Lessons, Experiences, Tips, Issues, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 5-cell: Lessons, Experiences, Tips, Issues, Questions

My 5-cell power system arrived a few days ago. I installed my 5-cell system and was confronted by many issues I hadn't anticipated. While looking for answers to these issues, I realized that there isn't a good compilation of 5-cell information.

This thread can be a place for three types of TC racers: those who are considering 5-cell, those who are installing 5-cell, and those who are experienced racing 5-cell.

Any 5-cell specific information and questions are welcome. I can think of some things to cover here, and I'm sure you can add more.

-What are the reasons to switch to 5-cell?
-What equipment works with 5-cell?
-What FDRs and rollouts should be used with each 5-cell power system?
-Battery in the forward or rearward position? Where are good places for the soldering tabs? How do you hold a 5-cell in place?
-How did you get your left-right and front-rear balance right with 5-cell?
-What changes have you noticed since switching to 5-cell? Tire wear, lap times, equipment life, drivability...

In the middle stage of my 5-cell switch,
Adam Glatt
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have another question... Why go 5 cell? Retarded..
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BananaWheels
What's retarded is your post
Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

There goes another retard!! Hehe 5 cell.. How about 2 cell? 2 aa's with 3.5BL? How do i configure two cells, in the middle, ? LMAO!! go ahead!!....
Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ah Ha!! i got it, even better. How about no cell? No cells and put the dog on the shelf and try something your good at!! Yatzee anyone?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

why does it matter to you , i thought your interest were "Racing nitro all classes, flying rc airplane "
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like 5 cell in my 2wd buggy, tones down the wheelspin

In the touring car it was ok to help keep stuff cooler if you didn't need crazy rip for club racing....pretty sure i went up around 4 teeth for 19 turn.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

There goes another retard!! Hehe 5 cell.. How about 2 cell? 2 aa's with 3.5BL? How do i configure two cells, in the middle, ? LMAO!! go ahead!!....
If you want someone to answer your OP, please learn to post in a polite manner first.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
My 5-cell power system arrived a few days ago. I installed my 5-cell system and was confronted by many issues I hadn't anticipated. While looking for answers to these issues, I realized that there isn't a good compilation of 5-cell information.

This thread can be a place for three types of TC racers: those who are considering 5-cell, those who are installing 5-cell, and those who are experienced racing 5-cell.

Any 5-cell specific information and questions are welcome. I can think of some things to cover here, and I'm sure you can add more.

-What are the reasons to switch to 5-cell?
-What equipment works with 5-cell?
-What FDRs and rollouts should be used with each 5-cell power system?
-Battery in the forward or rearward position? Where are good places for the soldering tabs? How do you hold a 5-cell in place?
-How did you get your left-right and front-rear balance right with 5-cell?
-What changes have you noticed since switching to 5-cell? Tire wear, lap times, equipment life, drivability...

In the middle stage of my 5-cell switch,
Adam Glatt
here is my 5 cell set up i hope it helps!! plus its alot faster than 6 cells!!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

My 5-cell Modified car is a Xray T2 007 US. I'm running asphalt-rubber right now. My previous Modified motor system was a Mamba Max 5700 on 6-cell. My 5-cell system is a LRP TC Spec w/ X-11 4.5t.

On the racetrack, I'm about at the point where I'm using all the 5700's power. I'm definitely not at the level where I can make use of a 6-cell Novak 3.5 system. My 5700 system uses 2500-3000mAh in a 5-minute race (my record was 3500mAh on carpet when I was feeling dialed).

I'm not looking to have the equivalent power of a 7turn brushed in a 5-cell package. I'm mainly looking for improved drivability, with hopes of reduced battery and tire cost.

Issues I encountered while installing this 5-cell system:
-Battery forward or rearward? I went with forward.
-Where to put the battery tabs for power wire solder connections? I put the + connection at the front-inside, and - connection at rear-outside.
-After installing the system I put it on a pair of screwdrivers to check left-right balance. I found that the left side was much heavier. I chose to re-do the installation by putting the ESC behind the battery.
-Issues with that ESC position: can't use a battery strap, rear upper deck's arms are in the way. I don't have a battery strap for this car, so the first issue wasn't. However, to get those arms out of the way I decided to craft a rear upper deck instead of cutting the arms off (money reasons, of course). We'll see how that goes. Can you tell I was into r/c airplanes before this? ;> Anyone have a spare 007 rear upper deck they can sell me for cheap?

With the equipment positions pictured, I have perfect left-right balance. As shown but without the battery, my old 5700 weight was 1046g. With this 5-cell setup but without the battery, weight is 1030g. Frankly, I was expecting a much larger weight drop, considering the X-11 is claimed to be 20-30g lighter than the Mamba, and I was able to remove 28g of lead, and I'm not carrying around a Deans connector. As it races, this car weighs 1505g. Isn't the limit 1350g? That seems impossible to hit, even with a Ti screw set and a 9550 servo (I have a JR 9000S). Is the US chassis really that much heavier? Because of the still-high weight (I've only dropped ~85g), I'm not expecting better tire life.

What FDRs are popular for 5-cell with the X-11 4.5t? Marcos, can you post that image/chart of suggested FDRs? The largest 64p spur that fits and the smallest pinion I own (23) get me a FDR of 8.57.

Speaking of pinions, here are two more issues I discovered a few moments ago.
-Can't change pinions without removing the motor, because the X-11 has a short shaft.
-Have to use a ball-driver to tighten the motor screw that is hidden behind the ESC. Even with the ball-driver, this is difficult and sketchy.
Together, these issues make changing pinions a huge PITA.

-Adam
Attached Thumbnails 5-cell: Lessons, Experiences, Tips, Issues, Questions-5cell1.jpg   5-cell: Lessons, Experiences, Tips, Issues, Questions-5cell2.jpg   5-cell: Lessons, Experiences, Tips, Issues, Questions-5cell3.jpg  
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Tech Master

Hi Adam,

I think you have lost your way a bit with the 5 cell configuration. It really isn't as complicated as you think it is.

For your reference you may have a look at my blog where I have many close ups of the Pro drivers' cars, all of which use 5-cell configuration

http://jdracing.blogs.se/

I'm mainly looking for improved drivability, with hopes of reduced battery and tire cost.
You should achieve that with the 5cell brushless configuration

Issues I encountered while installing this 5-cell system:
-Battery forward or rearward? I went with forward.
That seems to be the most popular choice.

-After installing the system I put it on a pair of screwdrivers to check left-right balance. I found that the left side was much heavier. I chose to re-do the installation by putting the ESC behind the battery.
-Issues with that ESC position...
I don't think you should go to that extreme and install the ESC on the battery side. Most cars of the pro-drivers do not achieve perfect left/right ballance but it really does not effect their performance

With the equipment positions pictured, I have perfect left-right balance.... I'm not expecting better tire life.
Well, one good reason your car is heavy is because by positioning the ESC on the battery side you are forced to use very long motor wires which add a lot of weight. If you are also using thick graphite chassis, then again this adds to the total weight of the car.
Total weight of below 1400grams is achievable quite easily. 1350 is a bit hard, but not really necessary.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

this is a very good thread, in particular to the europeans.... which had gone to 5-cells.... i hope I can post some information here soon as well... need to take some pictures of my 5 cell cars as well...

by the way, marcos, is that an orion 3.5?? how it performs??

let it grow!!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Shop Owner

Here are some photos from local drivers with Xray

Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Where i live (Portugal) we had long discussions about the 5 vs 6 cell debate. At the begining of the national we couldnt decide with either, so we adopted both (5 cell and 1350 grs or 6 with 1500 grs limit).

At the begining most went with 6 cell, but 5 cell became more popular as time went by mostly because:

- It is a lot easier to drive
- less drivetrain stress (ie: i could go an entire race day with one set of blades, with 6 cell i had to change every other pack)
- less temperature issues
- although it 'seemed' slower proved to be as fast as 6 cell, depending on track and traction conditions.

The only drawback are:
- 1350 grs dificult and expensive to achieve
- slightly more stress on bateries. With hot engines (3,5 BL) and big tracks (and i´m talking big by european standards: 400+ meters perimeter) making the 5 min mark can be a issue.

Not sure if the same aplies to US, we dont run carpet and never sugarwater the tracks, so track conditions cant be compared...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Whoever said that 5 cell is retarted have obviously never tried it, or never driven mod with a 3.5 and 6 cell.

Everything last longer with 5 cell, times are equally fast due to brushless and lower weight. The only drawback is the slightly decreased amount of runtime due to people gearing up.

Even a Novak system can get through a heat without thermaling with 5 cell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.