R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #31
Company Representative
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My feeling is the 13.5 is faster, we are all turning more laps since we went 13.5. and that really is fine as we will probably evolve shortly to a brushless race society.

But I also think 13.5 is too fast for stock, and current 27 turns are also maybe a bit too fast for stock. As stock should be about the driver and a starting point for many drivers.

17.5 is a much better feel for the newer racer. makes all of the racing closer. and if you are looking to be a bit faster, 19turn/10.5 are really close and not nearly as brutal as mod. I feel the 13.5 shoots in between the two and in stock it may be a step to fast for the average racer.

food for thought.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #32
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Not even close means that whatever lap times you can run with your brushed stock, you can strap on a 13.5 and run about 3 tenths faster per lap on an average road course sedan track somewhere in the 9-11 second lap time range which is pretty much the norm, at least for most indoor tracks. 3 tenths come out to pretty much a full lap over a 5 min qualifier and YES to me that's not close.

Originally Posted by acyrier View Post
I'm really curious about ALL the facts. You say "not even close" well, what's close? Isn't it a "relative" term based on several different variables?

Last year, in our stadium truck class. I ran a brushed axiom motor..this year, LRP 13.5 w/sintered rotor. Lap times (after playing with gearing are the same). when I went too many teeth higher, the motor just got way to hot..so when I got the motor where it handled good, stayed in that 150 range and wasn't a slug down the straight, overall, the times stayed the same as last year.

Now, again, our track size is small, 36x60, approx 192' drive line. that's small compared to a larger flowing track that they have at the bigger races. I certainly wouldn't argue that the 13.5 CAN be faster on a large track, but I'm curious to what your track size is so were comparing apples to applles.

Attached is one of the layouts we use. To race TC's and 12ths we remove the jumps..same drive length. The laptimes for 12th and TC are in the 8 second range, while the offroad times are in the 11 -12 second range. .5 - 1 second on our track is LOT, however .5 to 1 sec on a large track..isn't very much.

I also think a track like ours does not allow the faster motors to really open up and take advantage of their speed..which Is why the different types of motors are CLOSE at our track. Maybe not the same, but close enough to keep the guys happy...and basically...as a track owner...that's what it's about, keeping the racers happy and having a good time.

I think eventually, it probably won't matter. Brushlesss will be come the norm and the classes will be broken up into wattages or wind types (13.5 10.5 etc) and we won't have to worry about..what's comparable with a brushed motor..but for now, were flexible.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #33
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier

well.. I guess our place is just full of "club" racers then. in a race with 6 people in it, it's RARE when all 6 finish on the same lap. When it does, it's usually in teh stadium truck class. (I've attached a main).
I do agree..a full lap is a BIG difference, but were not seeing that because racer "A" has a brushless and racer "B" has a brushed. It comes down to who's making the least amount of mistakes.

I don't have access to lap times in Touring and 12th from last year, but made a quick phone call adn the 12th times were in the 7.7-7.8 second times and TC's in the 7.9-8.1. while .2-.3 is a big difference when looking at those kinda times...were not seeing it at our track becuase of motors. down straights, infields... they are closer then that .2-.3 range. Larger track, I can certainly see it. Hopefully, in the future, we'd like to have a bigger track, but our current space doesn't allow it..and our rents CHEAP compared to other places I know, so we choose to stay where were at.

well..I'm off...gotta get SOME work done today....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R3_Race_02_Stadium%20Truck%20Adv._A-Main.pdf (68.4 KB, 70 views)
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #34
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think it depends on the size of the track i normally race on a outdoor asaphalt track thats not real huge and brush motors can keep up with brushless if its not a real hot day and you have a clean run i've used both but brushless is alot more faster on a large track
mi4 ,mi5
jdm19turn is offline   Reply With Quote